Hello to other members!

Submit your photos and use this area to tell us who you are
cyp21

Re: Hello to other members!

Post by cyp21 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:21 pm

karl wrote:By the way I did see The Beatles in 1964 and i've also seen The Manfreds several times with Paul Jones and Mike D'abo, Paul is superb onstage. Over the years I have seen many top names including Sinatra, he was absolutely superb!
Yes i have to agree Paul Jones is awesome live he can really play the Harmonica wow. The only other harmonica play maybe as great as him is Stevie Wonder. I only seen Manfred's play live 2 years ago and only wanted to go because Paul was there. Your lucky to see The Beatles and Sinatra live i bet they were great live well if you could of heard The Beatles play above the screaming i guess.

Eman

Post by Eman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:06 am

Yeah I like The Sundays a lot! :D

karl

Post by karl » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:41 am

Cyp21, you would not believe the screaming at The Beatles concert, I am talking non-stop screaming whenever we walked into the theatre.

They screamed for Tommy Quickly, they screamed for The Remo Four, they screamed for Mary Wells, they screamed all through the interval and when The Beatles came on they screamed even louder which I thought was impossible.

After the show we had to step over bodies in the foyer,girls who had passed out probably exhausted from all that screaming.

That was October 1964 and I have never forgotten it!
Last edited by karl on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyp21

Post by cyp21 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:14 pm

karl wrote:Cyp21, you would not believe the screaming at The Beatles concert, IK am talking non-stop screaming whenever we walked into the theatre.

They screamed for Tommy Quickly, they screamed for The Remo Four, they screamed for Mary Wells, they screamed all through the interval and when The Beatles came on they screamed even louder which I thiought was impossible.

After the show we had to step over bodies in the foyer,girls who had passed out probably exhausted from all that screaming.

That was October 1964 and I have never forgotten it!
Thats a lovely memory Karl shame u didnt get the fabs signatures tho as if signed by all four members and not road crew etc worth a few quid well actually few thousands but would of been hard to get near them.

Mary Wells i like her too that would of been a great concert except for the screaming of course but its great that its stuck in ur mind as nice day and do u feel it was only yesterday?

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Darren--just been busy the last couple of days, so this is the first time I have had to check into the Forum foir a while, so a big Hello from me.

Hope you enjoy your time on the forum, and checking out all the great stuff on here---primarily Matt, but lots of other bits and pieces too.
Mariana

karl

Post by karl » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi Cyp,

No, it seems a long time ago - my sister went with me and she had only been married the month before -we go the tickets through the Daily Express never thinking we would ACTUALLY get them!!!!

Other concerts that I remember are seeing Tom Jones for the first time (1967), also in the 60's Cilla Black who was absolutely fantastic and Lionel Blair & The kick dancers were with her. Also seeing Dusty for the first time and meeting her after the show and Frank Sinatra with The 5th Dimension at the Royal Albert Hall - we had excellent seats and were close enough to see that he really did have blue eyes!

Wonderful memories but I've also seen many more big names over the years.

mike

Post by mike » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:20 pm

cyp21 wrote:
karl wrote:It would be interesting to hear about your other favourits artists as many of us have an eclectic taste in music.
I like a wide variety of artists to many to mention but my era was the 80's so i do like lots of music from then. I dont like ABBA or any boy bands. I absolutely cant stand anything by Brotherhood of Man. I used to have a big interest in music charts upto about 1995 after that not much now.

Artists i do like
Beatles & solo careers
Manfred Mann (with Paul Jones only) seen live
U2 seen live
James seen live (wow they were awesome live)
Supergrass seen live
Bryan Adams seen live
Crowded House seen live
Sting (gone of the boil after 2000)
Most 80's music
Sheryl Crow
Stevie Wonder upto 1980
Chris Rea
Maxi Priest
Suzanne Vega
Simple Minds
Queen
The Cranberries
Pet Shop Boys
Frank Sinatra
Andy Williams
Soundtrack music
Dusty Springfield (but im not a huge fan)

Theres loads more but thats just so u get a general idea :)

Hi Cyp, have you tried out the Beatles CD remasters? Was wondering if they are any good, I only have Beatles on mp3 currently.

Which soundtracks / composers do you prefer? I have a few soundtrack CDs, some John Barry (kind of predictable for a Matt fan).

Eman

Post by Eman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Karl, I remember going to a Bay City Rollers concert and the girls were screaming through out. I even spilled my coke on one girl in front of me and she didn't even notice cuz she was screaming so hard. Yep there were bodies being wheeled out by security and the paramedics. My friends and I were having a blast but my friends Dad who took the group of us was just shaking his head. I also remember my friends and I bogging off school because we found out they were going to be on a tv show in Los Angeles and cut school and took a bus up to the studio. Didn't see them but had a blast with all the other Rollermaniacs. Any sign of a limo and the screaming erupted. I even had my hair pulled because I was mistaken for one of the BCR's cuz I was a guy and my hair was cut like Eric Faulkner and Woody Wood's..it was called a tufty and looked like a neater version of Rod Stewart's hair. Ha ha!! Though once our principal called our parents because we were absent, we caught hell when we each got home, but it was worth it!!

cyp21

Post by cyp21 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:11 am

mike wrote:Hi Cyp, have you tried out the Beatles CD remasters? Was wondering if they are any good, I only have Beatles on mp3 currently.

Which soundtracks / composers do you prefer? I have a few soundtrack CDs, some John Barry (kind of predictable for a Matt fan).
I have downloaded them as cant afford to buy them so i've only listened to them on my PC so i cant give u a true review sorry! but they seem good! (downloaded the Mono & Stereo and 24 bit versions) apparently they didnt use compression when remastering them.

As for soundtracks well i like most Morricone stuff and waiting in hope that Dead Calm soundtrack gets an official release someday. Other composers i like are Zgbinew Preisner, Shaun Davey and Trevor Jones are my main favourites. The Best John Barry soundtrack in my opinion is Living Daylights which i have remastered CD and on LP but im not a big John Barry fan.

Eman

Post by Eman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Darren/MIke, I have both Mono and Stereo sets of the Beatles Remastered cds. I can honestly say they are the best sounding Beatles cd ever. Where as the ones in the 80's had a lot of tape hiss, every aspect of correcting that has been done. They sound great. However for me the Mono box is the more superior one as that's the way the albums were supposed to be heard, except for Abbey Road which didn't have a Mono counterpart. SGT Pepper, Revolver and Rubber Soul sounds really trippy as you can really hear their experimentation without all that stereo separation and reverb. I think if you buy any cd's those are the ones to start with. Do they sell the Mono ones separate, here in the US they only have them in the Box Set

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:01 pm

I love hearing your memories of the concerts you have been to--I saw the Beatles in the mid 60's-I took my sister to Hammersmith Apollo, she was about 9 or 10 at the time--but as in previous comments, we heard absolutely nothing from the Beatles, just screaming !!
Mariana

mike

Post by mike » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks for your help Eman. Shame the mono CDs aren't available separately. The set is pretty expensive, plus the stereo versions keep creeping down in price. I know i'll cave in soon enough.

Eman

Post by Eman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:52 pm

Mike, you wanted to know something funny? They ran out of them here in the US especially the Mono box so my Grandfather who lives in Fulham had to send me them from England, the ironic thing was the box sets were the US ones and not the English ones . I had to laugh at that. I didn't know the stereo ones were creeping up in price. The price of the individual albums have been steady here, but the box sets are disappearing. I haven't seen either box in a couple of months. I do hope you get the albums when the price goes down. Oh yeah, the Mono ones are little miniatures of the lps right down to the Parlaphone inner sleeve and SGT Pepper has a psychedelic inner sleeve also. The White Album even has a mini-poster of the poster that came with the original lp!!

karl

Post by karl » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:46 am

You got things a ltitle wrong there Eamon he said the prices are creeping down and he's right, you can get them online for just over £5 - I'm quite tempted myself. I already have the re-mastered copy of Rubber Soul as I really like that album.

mike

Post by mike » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:23 pm

Yes a lot of the stereo remasters are now 5.49 at Play. Tempting. Only thing putting me off is a lot of people say the mono versions are better for the first 5 or 6 albums. I'm not keen where the vocals are in one speaker are the instruments in the other. Of course you can't buy the mono versions separately.

Return to “Member Profiles”