First Post from Lindy in America. Hi Fellow MM Fans!

Submit your photos and use this area to tell us who you are
LindyG

Re: First Post from Lindy in America. Hi Fellow MM Fans!

Post by LindyG » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi All,
Not sure if I'm responding to the correct post. I'm responding to Robert in Yorkshire (I love your part of the world), who asked what the first song was that made me flip for Matt. It was "Softly", I believe. "Walk Away" and "Put on a Happy Face" are two others that I heard very young. My mother played a radio station in Duluth MN that played some great music. That was back in the 60s. Sad to say, I don't believe I've ever heard Matt played on any radio station in any of the other MANY states that I've lived in since then. All of my Matt listening since then has been on CDs I've bought, and also free listening on Youtube.
When one considers a lot of absolute crap (can I say that on here?) that has been played through the decades on American radio stations, it is pretty sad. And it's gotten progressively WORSE, since the 80s. Recently I introduced two 20+ year olds to Matt's music, a man and a woman, and they are now Matt fans. They were astonished by his singing, and wondered why had they never even heard his name. I know this: with one exception (Everybody's Talkin', which Nilsson did so perfectly it's untouchable), EVERY song I've heard Matt sing that has been sung by others, Matt's is the best. For example, this week I heard Sinatra sing "Birth of the Blues" on Sirius satellite radio (which never plays Matt). Sinatra's early recording was weak compared to Matt's, which Matt recorded when he was in his late 40s, I believe, or he may have already been over 50.
He's incomparable, timeless, the best of all time. If only people get a chance to hear him!

Eman

Post by Eman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Hey Lindy,
Greetings from sunny San Diego, CA!! Hope you enjoy it here on the board. As for Matt being played on the radio here in San Diego. It's very rare that they will play him and the only song would be Walk Away. I got into Matt because I heard him on a friend's compliation disc and then I asked my folks about him and they had some of his lps.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Hi Lindy-interesting to hear your views on Matt and his music, from US.
To be honest Matt seems to be more popular in the Uk, than for many years, which I am sure is due to Michele's tireless promoting of her dad's music--more and more people are realising just what a great and timeless singer he was.
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:17 am

Thank's for your folllow up post Lindy :) ..............please visit as often as you can, as it's good to talk about Matt :D
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Return to “Member Profiles”