New here

Submit your photos and use this area to tell us who you are
Sheldon H

New here

Post by Sheldon H » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi all,

Just joined today. I must say it was great to speak to the daughter of Matt Monro, so thanks Michele!

I'm probably one of the younger members here, being 17. I really love old music, mainly 60's music in particular. I was originally a huge Sinatra fan, then I discovered Monro. IMO, Monro actually has a better voice than Sinatra. He certainly had a softer voice, and I simply find him nicer to listen to.

There's a few reasons I'm drawn to older music. First of all, all singers back then were truly talented. I like a few modern songs, but there are quite literally only several popular artists who can produce a good record without the use of a computer. I really don't see how a singer can be a singer without having to use autotune. The other reason is that I think it was just a better time. Social standards were somewhat higher. I recently saw a news article which stated a woman walking around in skin-tight spandex is 'classy'... Not that I have a problem, of course. :)

Anyway, I think one of the main reasons I like Monro so much, is because I like Matt Monro as a person. Not that I knew him, of course, but he certainly seemed very genuine, and always seemed to stick to his roots, not changing at all just because he was a celebrity. Possibly the fact that he was British is a main factor that.

I recently obtained a copy of the Live in Australia video. All I can say is that Matt Monro was certainly a born entertainer. I would have loved to be able to have gone to one of his shows.

Thanks for stopping by.

Sheldon

karl

Re: New here

Post by karl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Welcome Sheldon and I so agree with you about wishing you'd been able to be at one of Matt's shows, however at least we have the dvd's to fully appreciate Matt's talent onstage.

Glad you like "old" music, but Perhaps a rather unfortunate choice of words - I think easy listening or even "CLASSY" music is a better phrase!!! :)

In closing I have to say I liked "old" music too when I was your age, by that I mean artists like Vic Damone, Eddie Fisher, Judy Garland, Perry Como etc' etc but I was also into Motown, The Stones, The Beatles and of course Dusty. Nowadays we call our tastes eclectic.
Last edited by karl on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Cooper

Post by Don Cooper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Bravo Sheldon for expressing your heartfelt and genuine musical tastes.

Most people on here are good-natured enough not to patronise...

Not to worry,eh. :wink:

Welcome.
Matt : Smooth, but not Glossy...

karl

Post by karl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:39 pm

I so agree most people on here are good natured and between us we have a great knowledge of music, especially Lena & Harry who I think have every record ever released from a certain era.

Do you listen to Sounds Of The 60's on a Saturday morning? Brian Mtatthews plays lots of rare tracks and also many hits. It will be interesting to see how you started to like 60's music, did you hear it from anyone? I did when I was half your age from my aunt and uncle who regularly bought records at that time.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:31 am

Welcome to the Matt Monro forum Sheldon :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Eman

Post by Eman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:36 am

Zup Sheldon! Welcome!!!
Old music..ha ha..you sound like me when I was your age. My Dad's music was old, but I secretly loved it amongst my other stuff. Now when I listen to "his music", it's comforting and soothing. I even have to take my Matt cd's out of his stereo cabinet because he keeps them there and says they're his. LOL
Anyway you're gonna love it here, everyone is friendly and helpful, and we also discuss other music also. Hope to see more posts from you soon!!

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Sheldon.

It is so good to see young people like yourself really enjoying the music of Matt Monro.

Just a little bit of background from a fan's perspective. We were very fortunate to have seen Matt live many times and also had the pleasure of meeting him too. Your view of Matt is spot on as he was always ready and willing to talk to his fans and was a really down to earth man and he had a really good sense of humour.

He never failed to give a fantastic performance which always ended with the audience wanting more

:D :D

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi Sheldon-always good to welcome another Forum member. Most of us can remember the years when Matt was performing, but not many of us were lucky enough to see him live, like Maureen & Harry on the previous post. We are so lucky that they share their experiences with us.

We also sometimes talk about other favourite singers we have--plus just about everything else alomg the way.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi Sheldon, a warm welcome to the Matt Monro forum. Everyone who posts here has a great knowledge of music, and good for you if you are into old music, (although believe me our own personal interest in music goes back much further than The Sixties), :D but your love of Matt's music alone has shown what good taste you have and that's the basic reason we are all here. Matt was a true Brit, a true cockney boy in fact, and his talent and success never changed him.
Interesting to hear your comment about some of the singers of today. We can only wonder how many of them will still be remembered Fifty or Sixty years from now, and as for social standards, in todays world very few remain, there is no shame or modesty any more except for pushing the boundaries to the limit if it means getting paid or getting publicity.
Keep posting Sheldon and join in the conversations with us on Matt and any other artist. !!!

john

Post by john » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Sheldon, welcome to the forum, glad you enjoy Matt's music and other oldies. :)

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi Sheldon,

Welcome to the Matt Monro forum and also to Alex it's good to know there are young

fans out there, looking forward to hearing more from you both you have great taste.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 am

Welcome indeed to Sheldon and Alex.Hope that you enjoy your time on this friendly Forum :D :D

maxine

Post by maxine » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi I'm new here too....just seen this thread and should have introduced myself here :D I'm maxine ..married to Peter for 27 wonderful years and we have two lads in their 20's ...one called matt...but not after mr Monro as I was too young to appreciate his wonderful voice then ....but my dear Mum loved him so perhaps it was a subconscious thing :D ...my doggy is called Pebbles and she is my little girl ...she is terrified of the fireworks and huddled up close to me.....hi to each and every one of you
Softly, I will leave you softly
For my heart would break if you should wake and see me go.....

john

Post by john » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi Maxine and welcome to the forum. :D

karl

Post by karl » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi Maxine,

It's great we are getting so many new members in a short space of time.

I feel sorry for the animals with all the firework going off, their ears are so sensitive.

Hope to see you all posting frequently and joining in on current threads and even starting some of your own.

Return to “Member Profiles”