Hello!

Submit your photos and use this area to tell us who you are
Josh

Hello!

Post by Josh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi all!

My names Josh and I'm 17 years old, I like a lot of the Matt style singers such as Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bobby Darin, Nat King Cole, Shirley Bassey, well you get the idea!

Having been a Bond fan for as long as I can remember my introduction to Matt's music came through From Russia With Love I first heard the song probaly when I was 6 or 7 (seems sooo long ago) as the years went by I heard a little more of Matt, mainly his hits and signature songs such as My Kind of Girl and Born Free. However a few years ago I started too dig deeper into the marvelous music of Mr. Monro, I was probaly 14 or 15 when I finally became a full blown fan. Ever since then my Monro collection has grown especially last year when I bought such great cd's as The Rare Monro, Matt at the BBC etc. Late January of this year I picked up the complete singles collection! While I do love the man and the music I am, of course not nearly as knowledgeable as the fans on here! I hope to learn a great deal and of course buy alot more music! I am particullary interested in purchasing the original studio albums such as Sings Hoagy Carmichael, This is the Life etc as I believe this is the best way to hear an artisists work (of course compliations are great too). Mattmonro.com is a superb website and I have occasionally browsed the forum and it looks like a great place to be! I can't wait to start contributing!

I will admit my avatar is not the best and I hope someone can aid me in recitfying this? I had to edit a picture of me and well as you can see the results are poor lol. Here's the original pic:
Attachments
Picture0001.jpg
Picture0001.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 4532 times

mariana44

Re: Hello!

Post by mariana44 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi Josh, nice to welcome you to our Forum, and to learn a little about you. It is so good to see younger people enjoying Matt's music, plus the other names you mention-Bobby Darin is also a big favourite of mine. There is lots of info on this forum about Matt and his music. The Hoagy Carmichael disc is due to be released on cd sometime in the near future. Have you seen the latest collection--"The singles"--a great unique 5 cd set.

Hope you enjoy your time on the forum with us--there will always be someone around if you need to know anything.

Richard is the one who will sort out your Avatar--go to "Ask Richard" thread in the Announcement section
Mariana

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:34 pm

All sorted.

Welcome Josh.

Richard

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome and Richard thank you for sorting out my avatar!

Mariana, yes I got the Singles Collection around the end of January, great set! I'll post more about my thoughts in the appropiate thread :)

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Welcome to the MM forum, Josh. I enjoyed reading your post about how you discovered the wonderful music of Matt Monro.

Here are three musts for your collection.

Through The Years (this is a collection selected by Mickie Monro; I believe it's out of print, but perhaps you could find it somewhere. This is an outstanding group of songs.)

The Capital two-fers (2 albums on 1 CD):

Here's To My Lady / This Is The Life

These Years / The Late Late Show

These are fabulous albums. As you wrote, there's something special to have the full album and listen to the order of the songs as they were originally designed for the album.

Josh

Post by Josh » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:26 am

Thanks Paul, I'll keep an eye out for Through The Years as for the twofers yes I do intend to pick these up as soon as possible!
Exactly it's as Matt intended his music to be heard so I love hearing the tracks in the sequence they were intended.

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:49 pm

I thought I might give you all an update, despite not being on the forum much Matt is still very much a big part of my life. Now 23 and having finished my degree in mid 2013, I finally seem to have more time to contribute more. I've still been keeping up with the latest releases (my copy of Operation Santa Claus arrived just the other day) and Michele and Richard have worked extremely hard to make every year special to the Monro fan. When at uni I always rushed to HMV on the day of release to pick up the latest Monro offering and then have it blasting out of my room at my uni house!

I think the time has come to reread the book, I enjoyed it so much last time and I can't wait for the new DVD!

karl

Post by karl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:46 pm

Yes Josh I'm sure the dvd will be great, it's so good to hear someone your age appreciate Matt, what else do you listen to?
Last edited by karl on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Thanks Karl, people my age don't seem to get why I'm into music that was recorded long before I was born but oh well!

Aside from Matt what I listen to shouldn't come as much of a surprise to other members. Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bobby Darin, Elvis, Sammy Davis, Jr, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, Status Quo, Count Basie, Ray Charles, Harry James, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Jools Holland, Billy Fury, Tony Bennett, Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Billy May, Nelson Riddle, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald.

That's just to name a few off the top of my head! I still listen to modern music, I picked up George Ezra's debut album late last year but that was at the same time as the latest John Wilson disc! It's just harder to find really good music now looking back seem so much richer to me.

maxine

Post by maxine » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:06 pm

Welcome Josh !! Enjoy ... 8)
Softly, I will leave you softly
For my heart would break if you should wake and see me go.....

karl

Post by karl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Josh I don't know Gerge Ezra but I like many of the artists you've listed - how about Dusty Springfield & Jackie Trent who is a friend of mine. Jackie with her former husband Tony Hatch wrote most of the 60's hits for Petula Clark, also Scott Walker, Val Doonican etc;

Like you I also enjoy some music from an era before I was born.

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Yeah I was introduced to Dusty by my mum so that's another I like! I'm aware of who Jackie Trent was but I'm more familiar with the songs she wrote with Tony Hatch. I can't say I've ever listened to her as a singer in her own right.

Return to “Member Profiles”