Things your Gran used to say!!!

An area dedicated to quizzes and fun trivia
michduncg

Post by michduncg » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:50 pm

Thanks for your comments so far everyone - it took us a while to get going but we made it in the end!!

My gran was very blunt - she was Northern. :lol: My great Aunt Vera lived with her after her husband died, and they were a bit like Bette Davis & Joan Crawford in 'Whatever happened to Baby Jane', with my gran playing Bette Davis! :? I vividly remember that I was talking to Vera about a friend of my Mums, whose son had been tragically killed at a young age. My Gran came into the room, wearing her nylon housecoat and cleaning (as always), and Vera said 'We've just been talking about Marion, you know, the one who lost the son.' My grans response was immediate, and cutting' Of course I know who Marion is! What do they call you - Vera- the one who lost the husband!' :oops:

'Can I do you now sir' - one of the 1st of the big catch phrases that have almost become a way of life nowadays. Radio comedy was wonderful - I particularly like listening to tapes of Hancock (esp those featuring Hattie Jaques, Sid James & Kenneth Williams', and also 'Round the Horne' -- the build up to Kenneth Horne paying a visit to 'Julian & Sandys' Bona-- whatever business it was that week, was always very funny
Michael

Here I go again, I hear those trumpets blow again.......

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:01 pm

Just reading through your comments again - Berks Marian, I like the barns alight one! Not heard that before! And Angela - what was the egg all about ?! you don't look old enough to have been around for rationing! My gran used to save me a cream cake - but my Mum would never let me eat them which I used to think was a bit mean- until I discovered that my Gran didn't have a fridge and that you were never QUITE sure how long they'd been sat there!
Michael

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:25 pm

Hi all--yes I can remember listening to all those great Radio comedies---"Take it from here". "Itma" "Round the Horne" "Life with the Lyons"-"Hancocks half hour"----but it is strange that when they transfered to TV [as 1 or 2 did] they were not as funny.

Except for Tony Hancock and the classic Blood Donor line, when they wanted a pint of his blood--"That's nearly an armful"--Always made me smile, because I was a regular Blood donor for well over 20 years.

Marian
Mariana

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:55 pm

I have never seen much of Hancocks TV programmes - but if I had I think I would have cringed much like I do with John Cleese as Basil Fawlty - both characters are such snobs really! I love Fawlty Towers, and realise now that cringing is part of the enjoyment. But David Brent took it too far in 'The Office' for my liking

I suppose the wonderful thing with radio is that it leaves a lot to the imagination. There is a great episode of Hancock, when the American Air Force opens an airbase nearby, and Tony realises that he can let out his house to officers for absurd rents. Hattie Jacques comes on halfway through talking with a New Jersey accent, chewing gum and drinking milk shakes. Kenneth Williams is an American Air Force bigwig that Hancock is trying rent his house out too. It all ends up in an American jet bomber over the North York Moors with Hattie Jacques in the bomb bay, instead of a bomb. That would all look silly on TV, but on radio you can lead the listener a lot more into absurd situations without them questioning it!
Michael

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:08 pm

Hi Mike--that reminds me of a funny Hancock Radio moment---Tony is travelling in a bus or car--and there is a frantic tapping at the window----
Kenneth Williams says "Your dog keeps burying things in the garden"
Tony--"What sort of things"
Kenneth "Me!!!"

It is even funnier for me now, with 2 dogs who love to dig :lol:

Marian
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:06 am

They haven't tried to bury you yet, have they Marian :lol: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:44 am

No -they're just stealing her food when she's not looking! :lol:
Michael

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:26 am

Wow--I think Harry and Chloe are more famous than I am :lol: :lol:

Marian
Last edited by mariana44 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:34 pm

Another Hancock episode when Sunday was always the most boring day in their household.of the week. Hattie Jaques considerably overweight making suggestions and Tony, yes well I'm not mending your bed again !! :lol:

Angela51

Things your Gran used to say

Post by Angela51 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:33 pm

:D ..Thanks ..michduncg for your comments re the EGG ! Yes, I was

around when there was Rationing, and I just have to giggle when I go

into the Supermarkets now, and see all the EGGS priced so resonably.

It's just that the particular comment is such a funny memory. :D

Terrajel

Post by Terrajel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:45 pm

I remember a saying in our family when you asked a question that no-one knew the answer to, you'd get "Only Frank can tell..." because apparently there was some famous person by the name of Frank Cantel, if that's the right spelling.....

Terra 8)

Marty

Things Me Nan Used To Say

Post by Marty » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:47 pm

No.1 In response to pulling a face.

"If the wind changes you'll stick like that."

and she was right too....see left.
Look For Small Pleasures

Marty

Return to “Fun & Games”