Letter from William Baverstock

All reviews welcome (but only if they're good!!)
Michele Monro

Letter from William Baverstock

Post by Michele Monro » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:04 am

Dear Michele, I would firstly like to thank and congratulate you on your wonderful biography of your father . Your writing was clear , concise , detailed , informative and conveyed not only Matt’s wonderful life story , but the deep affection you obviously felt/FEEL for him.
Although I knew the ending , I did not want to arrive at it , and felt genuinely sad on completing my reading.

I was born not very far from Shoreditch , in LEYTON – home of the mighty Leyton Orient football team…………..!!! In 1942 . One of a family of eight children , four boys & four girls. My eldest brother Doug was born the same year as your father, He – like me – has a very large music collection. Probably thanks to Doug and older twin sisters , plus my dear mother , I developed an interest in music – and “ film “ – from an early age.

I moved from London to Melbourne , Australia in January 1971. Therefore I was MOST impressed by what I know were totally factual comments by you on Matt’s visits here. It’s a long story , but since 2004 , I and my French wife have spent from part May to part October in FRANCE (TOULON) & part October to part May in MELBOURNE.

I have many , many musical biographies but rarely has one gripped me like yours. Your Dad seemed a “ humble “ , honest and sincere person. As for his singing , fantastic…………… Without doubt England’s finest ever vocalist.

ONE small CRITICISM , if I dare , I would not describe the “pop-singer” TERRY DENE – as you did – as a comedian/singer. He possibly had some humorous in-between-songs-patter but was/STILL IS I believe , a pop singer. Underrated and a career ruined by possibly mental health problems???

Best wishes for the future , Trevor.

Return to “Reviews”