An Unhappy Camper

All reviews welcome (but only if they're good!!)
Michele Monro

An Unhappy Camper

Post by Michele Monro » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:11 am

This just came up on my google search. It was posted on the Tony Bennett Forum

"I've received my copy of the biography. Inevitably, given that it isn't the work of a professional writer, it is somewhat hard going, although there is a lot of an interesting detail. What is sad is the intensely morbid style at the beginning and end of the book. There are also a number of unedifying (bordering on the libellous) remarks about Don Black that rather remove the "classy" veneer that any book about Matt Monro ought to have. I'll write more when I've read it properly".

The accompanying sessionography in the "Special Reserve" edition looks very good value though.
Written by: Ellington

It seems you can't please everybody. Probably a friend of Mr.B

Lena & Harry Smith

Re: An Unhappy Camper

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:38 am

Never mind Michele. One disappointed reader out of about Fourteen so far isn't bad :wink: :wink: :wink:

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 am

I have read a previous posting from 'Ellington' on the Tony Bennett forum.
It appears he had already made up his mind on his judgement of the biography before it was even released. "Will it even be worth reading?"
Marian :(

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Forgive him-however,there were approx.300 views to my thread there,so there is a lot of interest globally-N.B.I AM NOT 'ELLINGTON' :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 pm

At least there was a reply to Mr Ellington on that forum though, supporting Michele and saying that she is entitled to defend her dad.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Ellington states that s/he didn't even read the book yet. So it takes real nerve to write a negative review. And Michele is a professional writer; she wrote the "book" associated with The Singer's Singer CD compilation, all the updates for this website, and countless other CD liner notes. Her writing always flows perfectly, and is very descriptive and succinct. I love to read anything written by her and by Matt Jnr, who is also a brilliant writer.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:29 pm

AMEN PAUL !!!!

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Lena & Harry Smith wrote:At least there was a reply to Mr Ellington on that forum though, supporting Michele and saying that she is entitled to defend her dad.
'Hecky' on there is ME!
I know Bryan (Ellington) quite well.
I'm not defending him only his right to an opinion. If you knew him you would know that he would not have intended to upset Michele and her family in any way.
On the PLUS side,he did buy the book and not ALL he said was negative-'....lots of interesting facts...'and'...the sessionography....'.
Also,it was one of the most viewed topics on the site only eclipsed by my news/updates on Tony's upcoming UK Tour.
Don't worry,I've told him!!!!!

Don Cooper

Post by Don Cooper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Ellington refers to professional writer... yet appears not to understand the literary concept of Stream of Consciousness.

Michele's Forward being one of the finest examples of the technique I have ever read.

The fact that the text continues as Reportage, allows the author the necessary distancing - though never at the expense of
first-hand experience when event(s) dictate.

Your Dad would have been so proud, Michele. As are we all.

Thank You.

Don
Matt : Smooth, but not Glossy...

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:59 pm

The topic on the TB 'forum'has now had 332 views to date-forget 'Ellington'!

Don Cooper

Post by Don Cooper » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:37 pm

Please do not denigrate my genuine and heartfelt opinion , by a flippant remark . No matter how well you may
know ' Ellington '...

Don
Matt : Smooth, but not Glossy...

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Don,

Mark Fox's remark was directed at me, he was not diluting your heartfelt message is any way - he was letting me know not to pay any attention to one negative remark among hundreds of wonderful ones. Please don't take it personally

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:46 pm

I NEVER make 'flippant' remarks - how easy it is to use an anonymous message by e-mail or posting --- opinions etc.that one would probably never say in a face-to-face situation. An important modern tool for ease of communication but one which can easily lead to misunderstandings.
Michele understood my message which was my sole and only intention. :D

Return to “Reviews”