Matt Monro: A Singer's Singer

All reviews welcome (but only if they're good!!)
Donald Sutherland

Post by Donald Sutherland » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:43 pm

A wonderfully intimate look into the life of the world's greatest entertainer, written by a daughter who obviously loved her Dad. This unedited story(meaning, nothing was left out), both good and bad, gives the reader a true "Potrait" of this great man. Once I picked up this book, I didn't want to put it down! An inspirational read for people of all ages. Now, the comparison's between Matt Monro and Frank Sinatra can finally end. There is no comparison, Matt Monro is the best! Great job Michelle. Thank you for opening your life and letting us take a small peek. More importantly though, especially for those of us who never knew your Dad, to feel like we got to know him in some small way. Out of 5 stars, I give this a book a "6".

ROBERT M.

Re: Matt Monro: A Singer's Singer

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:19 am

6 stars, out of 5 Donald, not bad at all :) .......................PS I really enjoyed some of your movies :wink: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Donald Sutherland

Post by Donald Sutherland » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:35 am

Thank you for the compliment Robert, but I'm not THAT Donald Sutherland! :D I wanted you folks over there to know that some "Yanks" appreciate the talent of Matt Monro! Stay in touch.

Don

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:58 am

Thanks for your post Don, and a nice photo too :) .......I did realise you were not the Donald Sutherland, I was just having a laugh :)

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:43 pm

I am thrilled you enjoyed the book Donald and it is heartwarming to know that it did give people an insight into the workings of dad's life, both on and off the road. I spent three years writing this tome, a true labour of love but by the same token I didn't want to write a fairy tale. To my mind if you're not going to write a true account, then why bother?

Quite a few people have actually said they didn't want it to end and they couldn't put it down so I couldn't ask for a bigger compliment. Thanks again for the posting, apart from wanting to hear the feedback myself, it is always refreshing to other people to hear someone's take on a book - it can even make the difference as to whether they buy it or not. To that end I thank everyone who has bothered to leave a write-up here on the site and on amazon UK and USA

Donald Sutherland

Post by Donald Sutherland » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:24 am

Hi Michele,

I too didn't want the book to end. Next thing I have to do is start buying some Matt Monro CD's to complete my collection.
My only regret(albeit a very, very small one) in reading your book was that since it took place predominantly in the UK,
I wasn't familiar with alot of the reference points, people or musicians mentioned. However, now I can research those
things to learn more about them and add more music to my collection! Take care.

Don

testarossaguy

Post by testarossaguy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Dear Michele;

What a massive compilation! Though I'm not much of a reader...I felt as if I was there...tagging along on all of Matt's trips and adventures. The amount of work and travel Matt did was unbelievable, and at times I felt exhausted just reading about it. I've seen quotes from others in the music industry saying that Matt was one of the hardest working singers in the business, of that I have no doubt. There were many hurdles Matt had to overcome on his road to fame, his impoverished upbringing, England's attitude towards her own singers, not having the best management over his career for many years, and even his height and style to a point. Through out all of that...Matt still retained his class and kept to his standards. With VERY few exceptions...anyone who has ever met Matt describes him as a genuine, warm, and caring person. There are so many "what ifs" that came to my mind as I read the book. What if he had a great manager? What if he had stayed in America the first time round? What if he'd stopped drinking sooner? I was on a high towards the end of the book as Matt's career in America was really taking off. Things were really looking good. Yet in the back of my mind...I knew what was coming. It was so sudden...and so cruel. Yet in some way...it preserves Matt...the image of Matt in good times is frozen in the minds of his fans. He didn't go down the path that other big singers have, working past their prime...reliving memories and thriving on the inertia of their peak years. Though the book was written in the 3rd person...the love you felt for your father still shows through, and I'm glad for that. As I finished the book, I must confess I shed a few silent tears.

As for me personally, I have Matt's CDs in my car, in my work shop, and in my office. When I'm out in the shop working one of my many car projects...I crank up the music and time just flies by. Most of my friends and family aren't into my styles of music...but every now and then someone will ask "oh my god...who is that singing...???" And I will say..."that is Matt Monro...you've heard many of his songs over the years, you probably just don't know it." History will show that Matt was truly one of the greatest singers ever....and no training...just natural...and that's incredible!

I see that you had your own share of bumps and scrapes over the years too! I'm glad that your okay and took the time to write this book. I hope it was as good an experience for you...as it is fullfilling for all of Matt's fans.

Thank You Michele...
Jeff

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Nice post Jeff :)

testarossaguy

Post by testarossaguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:19 am

Thank You Robert! I call it like I see it. I was fortunate enough to purchase one of Matt's ties in the recent auction, now I'm just waiting for it to arrive....and waiting...and waiting. I think it's held up in customs right now. It seems that anything coming from overseas into the U.S. takes for ever and a day to get here.

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:29 pm

I hope it arrives soon Jeff. Michele had lots to pack up and post, she was actually still packing yesterday. :)
I've always been lucky with post from the U.S. - generally arrives in five days. :D

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:25 am

Great review there Jeff, thanks for sharing.

(Just seen that was my 100th post :))

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:33 am

Josh, I think that calls for a congratulation post--I remember when I reached my first hundredth posting, how proud I was--I never thought I would ever get there.

So a big well done to you, and looking forward to your next 100--your posts are always fascinating, from a younger viewpoint, and always a pleasure to read.
Mariana

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 am

Congratulations Josh, a great achievement and may I say a great asset to our growing family

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:01 am

Congratulations Josh! the first 100 posts will always be special. :D
On the 'lounge' thread you will see we used to congratulate posters every 100 posts, but as the number of posts 'exploded' it became every 500 posts. :D

Donald Sutherland

Post by Donald Sutherland » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi Michele,

I was just wondering, if it can be boiled down to one thing, what one thing would your Dad want to be remembered for the most?
Thanks for any insights!

Don

Return to “Reviews”