Letter from Tim McCaffrey

All reviews welcome (but only if they're good!!)
Michele Monro

Letter from Tim McCaffrey

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:08 am

Dear Michele,

I have listened to and enjoyed your father's music for more than forty years at this stage, and, it is a great source of pride and pleasure for us long time fans to see that Matt's music is once again becoming very popular with people some of whom were not even born when he passed away...yet his voice now appears to be captivating successive generations which is truly remarkable. Where many of the singers, both male and female who were active in the 1960s have now faded into obscurity, Matt Monro is still a name for today and not only because he recorded so many songs, it was the way in which he sang them. Matts renditions of popular songs brought them to some exalted place where other singers would try and try but could never equal the heights that Matt had attained. The old saying in definitely true....'Its the singer not the song.'

I'm sorry for going on so long but I can't finish without mentioning the wonderful biography you have written about your Dad. Now I have several hundred biographies and autobiographies on my bookshelves, but your account of the life and music of Matt Monro is in my top five of all time without a moments hesitation. Despite this biography being written by the singers daughter, all the usual pitfalls are avoided and objectivity is exercised at all times. Particularly touching was towards the end when the family was discussing Matt's final illness, obviously a difficult but very necessary part of the story and great credit to the family to see it through. As I write this I have just heard that Matt's wife and Michele's mother Mickie has passed away. I am truly sorry to hear this as seeing her on T.V. she was obviously a lovely lovely lady....my heart goes out to all the family.

God bless you all..Tim Mc Caffrey.

Return to “Reviews”