The Listening Experience

All reviews welcome (but only if they're good!!)
penno

The Listening Experience

Post by penno » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 pm

How are we to judge superstardom?

By the number of of records sold or concert tickets sold? Awards given?

While reading Matt's biography a number of issues arose around this subject. Some would claim if only he had been a foot taller? What of possible misplaced loyalty? If only he had pushed himself more. Why wasn't he as big in this country as overseas?

While acknowledging that these questions must have been a source of concern and frustration at the time, they fail to land a blow on the real issue - the listening experience.

Just as the reader is oblivious to the perceived merit or critique of the book they are enjoying, I too pay no heed to those who may claim that Matt did not achieve all he could have achieved.

I am too absorbed in the rush of strings at the start of Before You Go or in anticipation of the opening strains of Walk Away!

This is how I judge superstardom. It is the impact of the music upon the individual that transcends all and has no business being quantified or analysed. I am unable to do anything else and have been known to cut conversation and people out when the music plays....

Mark

Return to “Reviews”