Matt Monro on Shindig!

Discussions on Matt's TV performances
Eman

Matt Monro on Shindig!

Post by Eman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:56 am

I saw some clips of Matt Monro on Shindig! I never saw the show in it's first run or on dvd except on You Tube. From what I know this was like a teen oriented show. I was wondering how Matt felt to be on that show with the other rock n' rollers. I think he was a contrast but from the audience reaction he was a welcomed contrast. I'm also wondering just how the teen press here in the U.S. like 16 Magazine or Tiger Beat covered the British Invasion stars if Matt was ever featured in one of those mags. Those mags are equivalent to stuff like Jackie, Smash Hits etc...

Michele Monro

Re: Matt Monro on Shindig!

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:55 am

My father hit it big in the States after 'My Kind of Girl' and featured in many magazines as well as the big TV shows of the time like Lloyd Thaxton, Johnnie Carson's Tonight Show, Mike Douglas, Red Skelton, Gypsy Rose Lee, Pat Boone, Joey Bishop, Art Linkletter, Steve Allen, Merv Griffen and Ed Sullivan to name some of them. I think people forget exactly what he brought to the table in the 60's, happy hunting.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Tue May 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Those American variety shows were wonderful in the 60s and 70s. I used to love Hollywood Palace on Saturday night and was upset when they took it off. I recall there would be all types of artists on Shindig! I vaguely recall seeing Matt Monro on some of these shows. Johnny Carson loved real singers and he usually showcased a singer of standards or an opera singer. Anthony Newley often appeared. On Valentines Day, Tony Bennett or Steve and Eydie would sing My Funny Valentine. Merv Griffin loved Ethel Merman and she appeared frequently; his was a daytime show and i watched it when I got home from school; I definitely remember seeing Matt Monro on his show. Mike Douglas's show was unique as it started in Cleveland and then moved to Philadelphia. He would get the best guests. One of them would be the co-host for the entire week. He would have rock stars, political figures, sports figures, the whole gamut. I think I recall seeing Matt Monro on his show too. Joey Bishop's show at night wasn't on too long, but I liked his humor. Ed Sullivan was must-see-TV on a Sunday night. Art Linkletter was a legend and I recall fondly watching his House Party with my mother. Sometimes I sit in a boring meeting at work in the afternoon, and I look at the clock and I think about Art Linkletter's House Party.

I so wish these types of shows were still on, just for the music alone.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed May 18, 2011 11:04 am

We can understand the nostalgic feelings thinking about those great presenters and the artists that you remember with fond memories Paul. We have heard of many of the shows that you have mentioned, mainly because of the internet, and certainly learned a lot from it, and been fortunate to watch many of those great vocalists who appeared on PBS thanks to a good friend.
We remember Al Martino at one of his concerts many years ago telling the audience that he was heading home to appear on the Ed Sullivan show. A very special show for artists to appear on during those times.
Those variety days are a thing of the past here too Paul, fortunately a few shows survived and somehow avoided the biggest mistake the broadcasting establishment ever made.
They are good to watch if only snatches of them and thankfully we've been able to see Matt. :)

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed May 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Broadcasting mistakes indeed.

Out of Matt's US Variety shows only the Ed Sullivans, Half of a Steve Allen show and Mike Douglas seem to have survived besides Shindig.

Even the David Frost US show he made has gone. We think the Red Skelton show may exist, but his estate (who own the rights and the tapes) have not exactly been forthcoming with the information! I'm still waiting for the Merv Griffin organisation to confirm one way or another - but don't hold out much hope!

It's frightening to think that all of Matt's early Redifusion TV shows including his own TV series from 1961, Rendevous With Rosemary, Great British Song Contest and many others probably survived up until 1968 when they lost their licence. The films and video tape literally became landfill. When ATV was bought by Polygram in the 1980's they decided to dump a lot of material - Who knows what Matt shows were lost then! and as recently as the early 1990's the ABC library threw away a chunk of their archives (now owned by french broadcaster Canal+ who only bought it for the Avengers and didn't really care for the rest!)

Perhaps we are lucky to have anythiing at all!

Richard

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Johnny Mathis was another singer who regularly appeared on the Johnny Carson shows-I have quite a few recordings of them both-I know it was a very popular show.
Last edited by mariana44 on Wed May 18, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariana

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Wed May 18, 2011 4:19 pm

As they say hindsight is a wonderful thing. If they had only known what gems they were discarding they would never have done it. Can you imagine what the value of such shows would be today.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Yes Maureen and Harry hindsight is a wonderful thing...........but surely these people should have had tons of hindsight :!: :!: ..............because entertainment memorabilia is a big winner at all auction sites these days.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Return to “Matt on TV”