Lesley Gore - Magic Colors

What are you playing in the background.
Eman

Lesley Gore - Magic Colors

Post by Eman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Been listening to a cd that I got called "Magic Colors" by Lesley Gore. Ace Records has released a compilation of the songs that were slated to be released in 1967 as a follow up to her "California Nights" lp. She does an ace version of Lulu's "To Sir, With Love" and even adds the extra verse that was heard in the movie. Lesley was definitely a voice to be recon with once the double tracking of her teen years had gone. This was recorded when she was in her early 20's, I believe.

mariana44

Re: Lesley Gore - Magic Colors

Post by mariana44 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 pm

The only song I know by Lesley Gore was "It's my party", and she had a big hit with it over here--I just cannot remember her singing anything else.
Mariana

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Mariana,
I think you've only heard Lesley's WORST. I like Lesley Gore's singing very much. However, even as a 6 year old (or about that) I thought that song (It's My Party) was BAD. Lesley needed to put on the Joan Jett black leather and get serious about booting THAT jerk!

Like Eman says, Lesley Gore could REALLY sing. She had a powerful voice with perfect pitch and didn't need double-tracking and other tricks at all. Lesley is STILL performing! :D

I always liked her "California Nights" very much, even though it was another one that got the tracking treatment.
"She's a Fool" is one of her best hits, I think.

Eman, do you recommend this new one?

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:12 pm

I will check her out on Amazon--but "It's my party" is very nostalgic--takes me back to a cettain time of my life.
Mariana

Eman

Post by Eman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Lindy, if you like the California Nights lp, yes I do. This one has covers of "To Sir With Love", "Wedding Bell Blues", "How Can I Be Sure", a medley of 98.6/Lazy Day. Oh and her version of "A Brand New Me", blows the Blitzkrieg Bop outta Dusty's. Then again that's me talking. The song I believe was written by Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff who did a lot of the O'jays, Three Degrees stuff in the 70's, but talk about Blue Eyed Soul, Lesley has got it down pack, and it's something you wouldn't expect from the Bubblegum It's My Party girl from days gone by. Though I do like all her albums..i'd say my favourite Lesley lp was "Girl Talk". She got really soulful on that one with "Hey Now" and then what should have been the single release the lp version of "Look of Love". The single, and I don't know what Quincy Jones was thinking by adding sleigh bells to coincide with the single being released around the holidays, made no sense to me and I dispise that version!!

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:23 pm

mariana44 wrote:I will check her out on Amazon--but "It's my party" is very nostalgic--takes me back to a cettain time of my life.
Yes, and I think those are better times, Mariana, and I live in them too. :)

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Eman wrote:Lindy, if you like the California Nights lp, yes I do. This one has covers of "To Sir With Love", "Wedding Bell Blues", "How Can I Be Sure", a medley of 98.6/Lazy Day. Oh and her version of "A Brand New Me", blows the Blitzkrieg Bop outta Dusty's. Then again that's me talking. The song I believe was written by Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff who did a lot of the O'jays, Three Degrees stuff in the 70's, but talk about Blue Eyed Soul, Lesley has got it down pack, and it's something you wouldn't expect from the Bubblegum It's My Party girl from days gone by. Though I do like all her albums..i'd say my favourite Lesley lp was "Girl Talk". She got really soulful on that one with "Hey Now" and then what should have been the single release the lp version of "Look of Love". The single, and I don't know what Quincy Jones was thinking by adding sleigh bells to coincide with the single being released around the holidays, made no sense to me and I dispise that version!!
THANKS, Eman, This sounds GREAT!

And Mariana, here's more good stuff to take you back. You will have heard some of these by others, but Lesley's could possibly be better. I'm gonna go listen to some samples. "Blows the Blitzkrieg Bop outta"...... Eman, you have a poet's gift for alliteration!

Eman

Post by Eman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Lindy, on some pressings of "The Golden Hits", they used a single tracked version of "You Don't Own Me", gee she's believable there and she doesn't sound like a teenybopper pleading, but a tough girl like The Shang-rilas telling off the boy or she'll give him a fat lip!! Yeah!! ORIGINAL GIRL POWER!!!

Blitzkrieg Bop was a song by The Ramones which was inspired by the BCR's Saturday Night. The Ramones especially Marky, loved the BCR's and praise coming from a Punk Band was cool!!!

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:48 pm

.... :lol: Just reading a review (very favorable, as are most) of the Lesley Gore "Magic Colors" CD....this, from a review on Amazon, is apropos to what I just said about "It's My Party" vs. "She's a Fool"....

" I remember reading that the record that the Beatles pointed out to producer George Martin, as to how they wanted their records to sound was "She's a fool", not "It's my party". The former makes more sense as Beatles records starting with "I want to hold you hand" had a tighter sound to them as did "She's a Fool".

"She's a Fool" was "Ace", like the Beatles thought. :wink:

Wow, Eman, this Lesley Gore "Magic Colors" is expensive (much more than Rarer Monro!).
I do think it sounds like a must have, though.
Yes, I have the single tracked "You Don't Own Me"....again, one of her best hits!
Little Lesley (4' 11", I think?) is a powerhouse. Hmm, we know another certain someone who, although not tall, is
The World's Greatest Singer! :wink:

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:11 am

Eman, THANK YOU! I've just listened to some of the tracks from Lesley's "Magic Colors" (the title track is lovely) and I'm going to get this CD. :D

Oh, hearing her PURE voice without all those tricks and crap that were the norm them, this is SO BEAUTIFUL! I love her "How Can I Be Sure?" This was courageous for a singer to do this in 1960s America, I'm so glad she recorded all of these, and too bad they weren't released sooner but great for us now!
Like I've always said, Lesley didn't need all the fakery (a lot of others did need it), just like Matt didn't need it and never used it, Lesley was/is the real deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZkOjIYUIa8

Eman

Post by Eman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:44 am

Lindy, she is awesome, admist all the studio trickery she could actually sing. Quincy proved it, but I guess it was needed to give it that extra punch since the records were geared toward the teen market they had to make it sound strong and had the transistor radio and one speaker phongraphs in mind. Oh well but she proved it. You know I'm a big David Cassidy fan right, he covered the song had a Top 20 hit with it in the US and UK, but his version doesn't even hold a candle to Lesley's. I love the 5th Dimension also, Marilyn McCoo is an excellent singer, but I love Lesley's "Wedding Bell Blues" better. I'm glad you liked the cd and will get it. Wait till you hear it on a good stereo, wow!!

jon

Post by jon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Lesley Gore's other fairly well known song in the UK is "Maybe I Know", which reached No 20 in the charts here, but "It's My Party" is her signature tune, if you like. I too like her version of "Wedding Bell Blues" and "Magic Colours". I've listened to her rendition of "How Can I Be Sure" and it's OK (this was also recorded more famously by Dusty Springfield) but I'm afraid it can never be better than Johnny Mathis's, in my opinion.

I sympathise with Lindy's view that "It's My Party" may be Lesley's worst record, albeit her most famous/successful one. I often think the same about Helen Shapiro (who incidentally recorded "It's My Party" but released it after Lesley Gore), whose "Walkin' Back To Happiness" is probably one of her least good songs even though it is her signature tune and a No 1. Helen had better numbers such as "You Don't Know" (also a No 1), but one of my favourites is "She Needs Company" from an album she made in 1967, quite a while after her chart hits and when she was no longer in favour charts-wise.

Eman

Post by Eman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Jon, I didn't like Dusty's cover of How Can I Be Sure, it just didn't do anything for me and seemed a tad mundane. Just like Dusty's cover of the Stairsteps "Ooo Child", it lack the soulful quality of the original and just seemed so uninspired and the worst example of blue-eyed soul. Glad to know Lesley had other hits in the UK.

Return to “What are you listening to:”