What Movies Have Been Playing On Your DVD/Video Lately?

What are you playing in the background.
Marty

What Movies Have Been Playing On Your DVD/Video Lately?

Post by Marty » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:49 am

I have been cataloguing my DVD collection and as a result have been digging up old favourites i've not seen in a while and putting together little movie marathons. My most recent being the Hitchcock classics "Strangers On A Train","Vertigo","Spellbound","North By North West" & "Rebecca"

What#s been keeping you glued to the in house cinema lately?
Look For Small Pleasures

Marty

Marty

Post by Marty » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:22 am

Matt At The Movies. (I watch the Go Go section quite a bit)

&

Cagney in "White Heat"
Look For Small Pleasures

Marty

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:17 pm

Have you just answered your own question, Marty??

I have been watching some fabulous Eleanor Powell DVDs I bought from a collector, as none are available to buy any other way.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi Robert---does this mean you are abandoning us on this forum, so that you can watch Ellie all the time??

Marian
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:58 pm

Yes Marian..................................................No, only kidding, as I have had the DVDs for a couple of months now. I have been watching them slowly, to breathe in the atmosphere of each film, know what I mean??

Ellie only made 13 movies in her career, I have 9 of them so far Marian. I will be watching them just now and again, as I don't want to get fed up of them, by watching them too often.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:23 pm

You've got it bad and that aint good Robert. :P :P

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:27 pm

No L&H, thats very good :D :D

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:40 am

Sinatra filmson DVD-PAL JOEY,NEVERSO FEW,MEET DANNY WILSON,my fav.Dino film RIO BRAVO,and an all-time fav.,SHANE. plus a few Stewart Granger films. :D

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:25 am

How about "Young at Heart" with Doris Day"--and the fabulous "Guys and Dolls"? Then there's "On the Town" "Anchors Aweigh" "High Society"---not to mention---"From here to Eternity" "Oceans 11" "Tony Rome" "Von Ryans Express" "Man with the Golden Gun"---and lots more!

Marian
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:31 am

A few more Sinatra films, Lady In Cement- The Tender Trap-- Come Blow Your Horn--Four For Texas--The Pride And The Prejudice--The First Deadly Sin-- Suddenly-- all those mentioned great, but The kissing Bandit was one that even Frank often joked about :lol: Robin and The Seven Hoods with the Rat Pack members, plus Edward G Robinson is great but for us it has to be The Manchurian Candidate with Frank playing his role brilliantly. :lol: we thought was his best acting role of all. :lol:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:45 pm

But L&H, are all those films available to buy on video/DVD, as the topic might suggest :?: :wink:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi Robert--well my suggestions are definately available on dvd---I know because I have several of them myself. I know that many of his other films are also on dvd, so I would think that Lena and Harry's list are the same. Otherwise there would be no point!!!

Marian
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:50 pm

Just one or two of these films we have taped from the television Robert, but they will be available for purchasing at the usual stores. It was just a few months ago when we bought Robin And The Seven Hoods from Hmv.

michduncg

Post by michduncg » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:31 pm

Last film I watched on DVD was 'Wallace & Gromit - The Curse of the Wererabbit'! - that was a few weeks ago. It is an amazing piece of animation, lots of visual gags, and a very funny script too. On video, I watched 'The Sound Barrier' - a good old fashioned stiff upper lip 1950s movie, starring Ann Tood, Ralph Richardson and Dinah Sheridan, featuring lots of fantastic British aircraft from the 1950s including the futuristic De Havilland Comet, the worlds jet airliner. Yes - we did used to have an engineering industry! (yes, and I know the Comet went horribly wrong, and killed lots of people before any of you write and tell me!)

Marty - those are great Hitchcock movies you have mentioned. 'Stranger on a train' is a superb film, often overlooked I think, with a very creepy villain played by Robert Walker. a fantastic climax at the fairground too. His mother in the movie was played by Marion Lorne, who I loved in the part of bumbling Aunt Clara in 'Bewitched' - repeated recently on C4 in the mornings! Another 'useless fact' is that Alfred Hitchcocks, Patricia, played the 'kid sister' of Ann Morton in the movie.
Michael

Here I go again, I hear those trumpets blow again.......

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:17 pm

Mike, my Sisters Brother- in-law worked for Geoffrey De Havilland, and as for Comet we have always blamed him for the MENTAL fatigue.
We do like the stiff upper British efforts like "Reach For The Sky."with Kenneth more as Douglas Bader winning the war all on his own and "Theirs is The Glory" documentary type with the men of Arnhem and General Montgomery and his airbourne division with his plan to fool the enemy. Great stuff!!
Ann Todd, her part in a film that stands out in memory, "The Seventh Veil" where she upsets James Mason :shock: and he upsets her by wacking his walking stick down on her hands :evil: and prevents her playing the piano again. :shock:

Return to “What are you listening to:”