OCTOBER NEWS

This area is only for the latest mattmonro.com news. Please submit anything else in the appropriate
categories and headings listed further down
Josh

Re: OCTOBER NEWS

Post by Josh » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Just read this months news, disappointing to say the least but not a total surprise considering how the BBC have treated artists of Matt's genre in the past, their ideas for Matt's anniversary aren't exactly inspired. What's more frustrating is knowing just how in depth and well produced the series must be. Based on Michele and Richard's previous collaborations you just know the quality bar would be high and of great interest to fans. The chance to hear anything new is exciting let alone 5 hours worth! I do wish Universal show an interest in the project and do all they can to ensure its release to the public.

Michele, Richard, despite this set back please know how we all really do appreciate the hard work you do to give us fans exciting new projects to enjoy for years to come.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Well said Josh :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks Josh, Of course it would only be 4 hours as the "At the BBC" show would be difficult to clear (And a real shame as we've got some good stuff!). This would only have been put together if the BBC had gone for it.

To hear Don Black is now doing a 1 hour show on Matt is another kick - Matt's family have been totally ignored and it's a disgrace. As it is, it will be the same old stories he's told 100 times before plus a load of Matt's recording - doubt there will be a rarity in sight.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:57 pm

Good to hear from you Josh and couldn't agree with you more. We think the BBC like to control what the DJs play on their programmes as David Hamilton was not allowed to play anything from Matt's new CD and perhaps the same happened to Don Black. The same sort of thing also happened with Cliff Richard many years ago.

Matt always used to say to remember how to spell his surname, just think of it as an anagram of Moron! 🙂 🙂 Perhaps there could be one at the Radio Times 🙄

karl

Post by karl » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:09 pm

maureen & harry wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:57 pm
Good to hear from you Josh and couldn't agree with you more. We think the BBC like to control what the DJs play on their programmes as David Hamilton was not allowed to play anything from Matt's new CD and perhaps the same happened to Don Black. The same sort of thing also happened with Cliff Richard many years ago.

Matt always used to say to remember how to spell his surname, just think of it as an anagram of Moron! 🙂 🙂 Perhaps there could be one at the Radio Times 🙄
Ah but Brian Matthews managed to play more rare and obscure tracks!

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:49 pm

No Don Black could have played something from the new album, but looks like he chose not to.

Richard

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:31 am

It's certainly great to see so many strong opinions about this (sorry Richard I understand the BBC hour would require their approval). If Universal do decide to help out and Michele and Richard get the project to the public I really hope the BBC kick themselves about letting this slip through their fingers. Richard I think you're right about Black's show it will be the very familiar to those that know the Monro legacy well. For such a landmark anniversary (90 years!) you would've thought they'd be up for something special and new. Has the work of the estate the last decade or so not shown that Matt has the longevity to pull in an audience? One only has to read Michele's book to know how popular Matt was in his day and this has only continued over the decades since his death. It was but a few months ago how ecstatic we all were about the success the new album's debut had if that doesn't demonstrate Matt's staying power I don't what does...

The fact the estate has been ignored and frankly dismissed on this matter is utterly disgraceful and unprofessional. Richard and Michele I'm sure have produced a series with love, care and attention to detail including elements from the BBC archive, it's not like they're asking them to do the leg work. It must hurt that Don Black has been allowed to produce a show (most likely only playing the Black composed Matt tracks) over this new series that encompasses the entire life and career of Matt. The frustration on this matter fear not Michele and Richard is shared by us all.

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Your so right in every thing you have said Josh.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:58 pm

The success of the new CD is 28 weeks in the physical charts and with 25,000 sales plus does confirm Matt's staying power with old and new fans.

On Spotify the monthly listeners figure is 401,363 and sure many of these would be happy to listen to the Michele and Richard project.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:47 pm

To be fair Don didn't play many Matt songs that Don had written himself during his many series over the past few years..............but he did repeat many of the same songs Time After Time to pardon a pun ..................Don doesn't know all Matts recorded work especially the later material, so I'm sure he didn't have a clue about Matts Lost New York sessions release !!

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:17 pm

Don Black doesn't really have a clue about Matt in general, which is why he is such a bad choice as a presenter for his 90th. He was not, as he claims, Matt's best friend and wasn't a very good manager. Great Lyricist, which is what he should have stuck to, which provided some great songs for Matt, but that's all.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:22 pm

I thought there may have been a few posts from the forum members regarding your comments on Don.........what you said Richard, I'm not surprised about............he always stuck to a Matt playlist of around 15 songs and never deviated away from those 15 except for the odd occasion when he played a rare song like Pretty Polly, which he only ever played the once ! ............one thing I can thank Don for is praising Matt on virtually every show he made and nearly always used the word's "matchless Matt" after playing his weekly Matt song .......for that I thank him :)

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 am

Yes you are both right Richard and Robert in every thing you said your spot on.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:18 pm

Thanks Michele for the update. It's a pity things are still moving slowly so will test all yours and Richard's patience and no doubt Christmas will be another excuse!

We are sure you must have been really upset to find out that the Talk Of The Town show has turned out to be a scam and hope that you are able to recover your money. We remember watching the show on BBC 2 which was just great and still have a paper cutting about it from the Television Mirror in 1969.

Hope you are feeling better now,

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:40 pm

Thanks Michele for the October news and so sorry about the scam hoping you get the money back hoping you are a lot better xxx

Return to “Site News”