The Boy From Shoreditch

This area is only for the latest mattmonro.com news. Please submit anything else in the appropriate
categories and headings listed further down
Rmoore

The Boy From Shoreditch

Post by Rmoore » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:53 am

Sandra

Re: The Boy From Shoreditch

Post by Sandra » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:50 pm

Exceptional . Loved every minute of this first episode. Many early recordings new to us. Extra bits of Matts early life we hadn't heard before. A great listen Michele. Thank you to you and Richard for the hours of work this must have taken. A tragedy the BBC hasn't taken it up but well done for producing this on You Tube.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:00 pm

It took 8 months! 6 of those just to go through every interview we could find.

If you like the rare material in episode one, you ain't heard nothing yet!

Richard

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:41 pm

We agree with you Sandra & John. It was fabulous and so looking forward to the next three. We really think that the BBC missed out by not broadcasting it.

A huge thank you to Michele and Richard you have really done Matt proud. 🙂 🙂 🙂

john

Post by john » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:08 am

I haven't listened to it all yet, only the first part but it is excellent. Thanks Michele and Richard for all the hard work and look forward to listening to the rest of this episode and the following ones.

john

Post by john » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Finished listening to part one, it is brilliant. How incredible to find all these interviews and extremely rare music clips. Very nicely narrated by Michele as well. Loved it!. Can't wait for next weeks. :)
Thanks once again Michele and Richard for all your work.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:15 pm

We were very lucky that the late Steve Pattinson - who made 'Portrait of' BBC radio doc in 1995 gave us copies of all of the raw interviews with Harry and Alice plus George Martin, June Marlow, John Browell and Dave Allen (among others) and Graham Pass who made the more recent docs let us have all his raw interviews too. The long form, 4 hours format has enabled us to use far more than was ever used by the BBC.

Matt's interviews come from all over the place, Hong Kong, America, some BBC interviews (most of which don't exist at the BBC anymore, including one that appeared on it's original tape on ebay just as I was making episode 4!) and a couple of hour long interviews with journalists which we were lucky enough to have been given copies of.

Many of the rare recordings come from Matt's acetates or tapes, Sue Maul (Parker) who left us her tapes in her will, individual collectors, and "All of Me" from Show Band Cavalcade came from Bob Monkhouse!

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:36 am

A fantastic start Michele and Richard, I'm sure Matt would be bowled over by the amount of work both of you have put into this. Just hearing Matt speak about his life experiences is such a tantalising and exciting thing. It goes without saying that the wealth of rare material is such a privilege to hear. Like everyone else here I can't wait for the rest of the episodes, we'll certainly be enjoying this work for many years to come. Thank you to you both again for this, if the BBC aren't kicking themselves for missing out on this then they're are more ignorant than first thought!

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:12 am

Episode 2 now available

https://youtu.be/0GvhTN9FT4E

#MattMonro90

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:38 am

Listened to episode 2 this evening, another first class production and equally compelling as the first. It certainly was a treat to hear so many of Matt's jingles. For me personally though, the highlight has to have been dropping in to the studio whilst Matt was hard at work recording From Russia With Love. I've never hidden the fact that my first exposure to the Monro magic was FRWL and as a huge Bond fan as well (FRWL is my favourite) the fact that these two icons linked up however briefly is a joy. The sheer chance to hear an excerpt of that session is something I'd never thought I'd get a chance to experience. I thank both Michele and Richard deeply for giving this simple fan such a wonderful gift, it really does mean alot.

It was great to hear so much time dedicated to Mr. Spence and Mr. Martin without whom Matt's career may have been very different. So often in similar projects such as this the narrative is always presented as if the artist achieved everything alone. Michele and Richard take a purely balanced view on this matter (in fact without Mickie Monro would we even be discussing episode 2 of a documentary celebrating Matt's 90th year?) as arranger and producer working in tandem with Matt they collectively produced some of the finest music this country has ever made.

Obviously as fans we all know where the story is going, so many more career highs for Matt to come, so many more great records, tv appearances and interviews (even a movie!) but sadly it ends all too soon. That said Michele and Richard have produced a series I think Matt would be pretty proud of (though he'd probably be also wondering what all the fuss was about!), seems that the next two episodes will be equally fantastic. Sadly my only criticism is I wish it were longer, thank you to you both.

john

Post by john » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Really enjoyed listening to part two of the series, more great interviews and clips we had never heard before. Thank you once again Michele and Richard, it is greatly appreciated.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:39 pm

Another really enjoyable episode and nice to hear some of the things we had not heard before.

We are so looking forward to the next one which we are sure will be just as good.

Thanks one again Michele and Richard for all you hard work.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:30 pm

No.3 now available.

https://youtu.be/yx-uw1MA6yo

john

Post by john » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Thanks again Michele and Richard for another very interesting episode.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:50 pm

Another excellent episode and again many thanks Michele and Richard.

Return to “Site News”