Buxton

The 2007 tour kicked off on 3rd November - Paul White, our very own reporter, brought you up to the moment news from the theatres across the country.
paul and sue

Buxton

Post by paul and sue » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Hi all, once a while a little gem of a theatre comes along and the Buxton Opera House was just one of those special venues, the theatre itself has just undergone a near £1,000,000 pound refit and is absolutely stunning, if the police are still trying to trace the gold bullion from the Brinks Mat robbery try the Buxton Opera House, the whole inside is adorned with 24 carat gold leaf, not only that there are paintings on the ceilings and its sensational, it is just fantastic have a look at the photos, all during the tour we have V.I.P guests popping in and at this venue we had a very special guest, his name is Harry Goodwin and for 9 years he was the Photographer on Top of the Pops, he first started in 1964 and he had bought something special for Matt, it was an original photo of Matt Monro Snr taken during the 60`s, he had also bought along a friend of his John O`Connor who is a Photographer and before long there were photo`s being taken of Harry and Matt with the photo, it was a very special moment for me personally and I know Mattt was a little overcome, I don’t think I have ever met two nicer and down to earth people as Harry and John, thanks guys, anyway all too soon it was time for the show, usual routine, you all know it by now, Matt off to Band Call and me off to the foyer, I always manage to pop in to the show somewhere along the line and I was thrilled to see Lady is a tramp go down a storm, I say that because I play it constantly in the car and drive the Son of the Legend mad with it, all to soon it was over and back to the Hanover Hotel in Ashbourne for a glass of something refreshing and then off the next day to Worcester and what a surprise that turned out to be, until the next time take care all, Paul

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Thanks Paul for a great report from Buxton; especially interesting to read about the Top of the Pops photographer. I was most interested in reading your report on Buxton, as I love that town. I didn't know the opera house had been renovated. Shame you couldn't stay at the Palace Hotel; it's really lovely. Can't wait to read your report on Worcester, a place I must visit soon (because of Sir Edward Elgar).

john

Post by john » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:14 am

Yes, I agree Buxton is a lovely town Paul, I remember you told me you had been there. I used to live about 15 miles from there and we went there pretty regular. I went to the Opera House many years ago to see A Tribute to the Carpenters show.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:18 am

Nice to know that these theatres and opera houses are given the treatment that they deserve Paul, and what a nice treat to have seen the picture of Matt Snr.
Thanks for all these up-dates on Matt's tour. Much appreciated. :lol: :lol:

Return to “The Legend Lives On Tour Blog”