Southsea

The 2007 tour kicked off on 3rd November - Paul White, our very own reporter, brought you up to the moment news from the theatres across the country.
Marian

Southsea

Post by Marian » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:24 pm

I'm sure Paul won't mind me using his tour space to add our grateful comments about our memorable time in Southsea yesterday. :lol:

The Kings Theatre in Southsea is 100 years old. It was opened by the famous actor Henry Irving, on 30th September 1907. The first show performed there was “Charles the First,” Yesterday, we were lucky enough to be there to see Matt the 2nd!
Being members of “The Friends of Matt Monro” Peter and I took up the special offer of a look behind the scenes at the preparations for Matt’s show last evening at this lovely theatre.

We were met outside by our own Paul and Sue, Matt’s Assistant Tour Manager and his wife, whilst inside the theatre they were setting up for rehearsals.
We went in the ornate front entrance, and up the steep, sweeping staircase to the auditorium where we watched all that was going on from a Royal Box!
Paul and Sue were very welcoming and looked after us splendidly, we actually felt a bit like Royalty!
Matt and the band, along with Colin Keyes at piano, were rehearsing on stage.
One important band member was missing, the 2nd trumpeter. Sound and lighting checks were being carried out, but the band definitely missed the 2nd trumpeter, as the music sounded more mono than stereo!! Matt sang a couple of numbers, looking casual and relaxed. We were pleased to see the 2nd trumpeter finally arrive, and boy, did he make a big difference to the sound!
Between songs, Colin was happily tinkling away on the ivories.

It is a really beautiful old theatre, which was in danger of being pulled down, but local people managed to raise enough money to save and completely refurbish it, and it only recently re-opened, I expect for it’s 100 year anniversary. It is very ornate, with elaborate mouldings and is very high, rising up three steep tiers to “the gods”. I hope to put some photos on the website soon. Also, I’m sure Paul will add some more too, when he gets some spare time.
It’s a tough life on the road!

When rehearsals were over, the piano tuner arrived, and we watched and listened to him for a little while. Sue and Paul then took us downstairs to Matt’s dressing room, crossing the stage on the way. It’s a deep stage, which slopes to the front, with a steeper slope right a the front, and then an 8 foot drop into the orchestra pit, so Matt really had to watch himself. Apparently, Matt Senior ended up in an orchestra pit once breaking a bone.
We sat chatting to Matt, who was also very welcoming, enjoying a glass of white wine for a while, and then took some photos before Matt had to leave for a radio interview.
Sue took us back up across the stage again, where we stopped to look at the famous Matt Monro stool, to where Paul was busily setting up all the merchandise for sale. We watched and stayed chatting to Paul and Sue for a while, and then retired to the bar for a short while before the evening’s performance.

Matt was in good voice, having recently had a very nasty throat infection. He is still having to take medication.
I’ll leave it to Paul to tell you about the “Good Samaritan” who saved the show at Dunstable, a new member on the forum, she knows who she is.
As Matt is now doing the whole show by himself, several more songs have been added. "Todo Pasara" was lovely, and I especially enjoyed “If I Never Sing another Song” too, and “That’s Life,” one of my favourites.
During the interval, Peter and I met up briefly with another new forum member, Graham Webb M.B.E. It was great to meet him. He has a very interesting life story, which hopefully he will add on the forum one day.
The audience were generally a little reserved last night, which was a shame, as Matt gave an excellent performance throughout.
After the show, we made our way back upstairs to the merchandise stall and Paul and Sue. Ken Cunningham-Brown, who knew Matt Senior in Hong Kong, was there with his wife. Matt came out for all his usual signing, friendly chat, and photos.
Soon it was time to say goodbye to Paul and Sue, and of course Matt, and thank them all most sincerely for a wonderful experience, which we both thoroughly enjoyed.
Thank you all :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marian and Peter.
:lol: :lol:
P.S. Peter was very impressed that Matt called him "Sir." I said, "Imagine, the son of the legend calling you Sir"!!
Last edited by Marian on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Angela51

The Legend Lives On Tour Blog

Post by Angela51 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:42 pm

:D :D

Hi.... Everyone! Back from my Holidays and just catching up on the Forum.

What a lovely story you had to tell Marion, just like another complete
Re-Union, so pleased both you and Peter had a lovely day.

Angela

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:43 am

Hope you had a great time Angela.. :lol: :lol: Good to see you back.

Pleased you enjoyed reading about our special day in Southsea. :lol: It is not until you are privileged to see behind the scenes, that you can really appreciate all that goes into the final performance that we all take for granted. :D :D
Then after the show, there's all the packing up, and then early next day, moving on to the next venue, probably at the other end of the country, to do it all again. These guys really deserve our admiration. :lol:
Marian.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:50 am

Marian-thanks so much for your lovely full report on the concert at Southsea--it was almost---but not quite--like being there in person.

Glad you and Peter had such a lovely time.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi Marian,sounds though both you and Peter had an enjoyable time at Southsea seeing Matt Jnr again in concert.
What good news that this theatre was saved and restored when so many beautiful theatres have been demolished in spite of the wonderful craftsmanship that went in to those buildings and the history that many of them held.
Glad that you had such good guidance from Sue and Paul with the backstage experience, had a nice chat with Matt Jnr, a glass of wine and even viewed from a royal box.. did you do the royal wave?? :wink: :wink: :lol:
That was also nice to meet Graham Webb M.B.E. and Matt Snr's army pals.
The Three songs that Matt Jnr sang are all particular favourites of ours and so glad that Matt's throat is better. We can appreciate how tough it must be trying to keep well, with all the travelling and work involved.
We shall look forward to seeing the photos. :lol: :lol:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi Angela, glad to know that your back from holiday and hope you had a good time.
Have you got a tan :lol: :lol:

john

Post by john » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:37 am

Pleased that you and Peter had a good time in Southsea, Marian. I enjoyed reading your review. :)

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:15 pm

Thanks John. We enjoyed the experience. :lol:
Marian :wink:

Return to “The Legend Lives On Tour Blog”