Dublin National concert hall

The 2007 tour kicked off on 3rd November - Paul White, our very own reporter, brought you up to the moment news from the theatres across the country.
paul and sue

Dublin National concert hall

Post by paul and sue » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi all, wow this is it the big one, overseas, well I know its not Australia but for a person that hasn’t flown for 22 years trust me this is big, and you wouldn’t want to walk it. The venue - The National Concert Hall Dublin - and what a tale I have to tell you all. If you tried to write this as a story trust me you would screw it up and throw it in the bin as pure fantasy. I will try, so if you all sitting comfortably I will begin from the start.

Michele daughter of the legend phoned me and said there was a show in Ireland and would I be interested in doing the merchandise, yes I said I would be thrilled, delighted and over the moon, so it was agreed that I would go up to Monro Towers on the 7th and stay overnight as we had to leave at 7 am for Heathrow. Well as you all know the 7th is a very emotional day and I was dreading it. Anyway arrived at about 3pm on Wednesday after the customary 3 hours on the M25 to be greeted by the son of the legend. “Seen the forecast he said”, “yes but we never get snow” I said!!! Anyway went out for a ruby with Matt and then back to Mornro Towers for bed by about 11`oclockish. The skys were clear so no worries.

I woke at about 5.30am for a jimmy and just happened to glance out of the window to notice Antarctica, I had never ever seen anything like it in my life, it was winter wonderland and still coming down. I rushed down stairs opened the front door and looked at the car and thought oh no were going nowhere. Anyway after a nice cup of coffee I braced the blizzard and proceded with a broom to sweep the drifts of snow from the car. It looked lovely and clear and so with confidence I strolled back into the house happy we would make it with time to spare. Got prepared, loaded the car and we both got in, backed down the drive and stopped. We were stuck, the road in which Monro Towers is situated is on a gentle slope, well it might as well have been the north face of the Eiger as my car was not having it. After numerous warning lights and electrical failure and attempts by everybody including “frosty the snowman” (my nickname for Michele) to move the car we surrendered and decided to phone a cab.

Well what a relief - we got one and it would be with us in about an hour, yes problem sorted. No not really, the cab could not attempt to come to the door of the house as it was 100% likely he would have got stuck as well. The road was sheer ice. So we had to take all our baggage up the hill to the top of the road about 200 yards to the main road, where the taxi had agreed to pick us up. The walk was not far but we know how Hilary and Tenzing felt. Yes, we got to the cab and that’s it we were finally on our way. High fives and loads of backslapping, we had made it.

Well not quite, about 200 yards down the road the electric windows on the cab went down and stayed there, oh well at least we were mobile. Turned onto the A40 not far now, M25 turn off for Terminal 1 and we are there. Got onto the M25 and then that’s when the wipers gave out, oh well not to worry its only a blizzard and the driver seems quite happy leaning out of the window clearing the snow from the screen with a spare wiper blade. At least we will make it, wrong again, just after the turn off for Terminal 1 we suffered total engine failure. Oh deep joy - still at least we can have a fag. We are swiftly assured that another cab is on the way to pick us up for check in time which is now less than an hour away. It arrives after about half an hour, yes we were going to make it.

And we did, we arrived at Heathrow with half an hour to spare to check in, meanwhile Colin Keyes had phoned to say that he has arrived at Heathrow early and has been put on an earlier flight , and is now in Dublin, Tour Manager Gus Douglas had phoned Matt to say Stanstead Gatwick and Luton were all closed due to the snow. Both Matt and myself are now checked in sitting in the departure lounge waiting to board when yes you’ve guessed it the boards all changed to: flights cancelled, and delayed. By this time it’s looking like the Colin Keyes, ‘One Man and His Piano’ Show will be the main event that evening. Thankfully our flight was only delayed by about 90-minutes so we boarded the plane, a big one and that’s when I was thankful I packed 6 pairs of underpants. I could feel all the colour drain from my face as the engines roared and my stomach disappeared through my back on take off but the son of the legend was there for me though and with a quick burst on his I pod of “Be My Lady” by his dad and a drag on his fake fag and I was sorted. 30 seconds later we landed overseas, yes we arrived., but did all the others?

Part two to follow, will they all make it, will the show go ahead?

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:30 pm

What a great entertaining post Paul. It would have been very hard to make all that up :lol: your experiences nearly had me in tears of laughter reading it :lol: :lol: can't wait for the follow up story :wink: :D but the flight only took 30 seconds :!: I thought "Concorde" has been taken out of service :wink: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:54 pm

Looking forward to part 2, Paul. Hope things improved after that start!
Mariana

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:13 am

Your accounts are always so entertaining Paul. Really enjoyed reading this one, and looking forward to Part 2 :lol: :lol:

Marian :wink:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:53 am

Yes, a great story there Paul, so the flying bit actually ended up the relief
bit then. Or did it ??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Return to “The Legend Lives On Tour Blog”