Show Tunes

Although EMI turned the project down it is now being considered by another record company but what would you like to hear on this follow up album?
paul jh

Show Tunes

Post by paul jh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:38 pm

I would like for the duet album to include The Impossible Dream. I think their voices would sound good together and I could imagine them taking turns on the melody. I'm also hoping that Richard Moore (or someone) could improve the sound of the strings from the original recording, which don't sound good on my CD reissues. Thanks!

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:07 pm

Well Paul, if they were on old 78rpm shellac we could recommend warm water with a sprinkling of OMO, but were stuck on this one. :lol: :lol:

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up Paul.

I have no idea if I will be involved with this project or not at present - but i can tell you why the strings don't sound very good on The Impossible Dream.

Nothing is wrong with the master tape other than it's in the Capitol Vaults. EMI UK have a Mono tape but not a stereo. Back in the early 80's when mastering Heartbreakers they wanted to use a Stereo version and rather than get a tape from the US dubbed the track from a pretty worn Vinyl copy. This is the tape they have used ever since (Born free suffered the same fate until "The Capitol Years" was issued).

I fought to get a copy from the US for issue on Matt At The Movies - unfortunately this did not happen. I shall be pushing once again for the right master to be used on the Singles collection!

Richard

M

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks for the explanation Richard. That makes sense now. I never understood why the strings sound like that. I think I may have noticed something similar on Born Free, but it doesn't bother me as much. I still listen to The Impossible Dream, but try to block out the strings---especially at the end.

Return to “New Duets Album”