Edinburgh

Matt Jnr's 2008 tour kicked off on 10th October. Read the roving reports that were written from theatres across the country
Michele Monro

Edinburgh

Post by Michele Monro » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:42 pm

Matt checked out of the Cross Keys fairly early this morning and made the two hour journey across to Edinburgh for tonight's show. The good thing is Matt and the crew were able to check in at the Thistle Hotel straight away so he will at least have a few hours rest before sound check at 4.00pm. He is not that happy with the bookings - 47 people!!!!! That is what happens when you don't get the right publicity done in advance but Matt had no choice but to appear because of contractual reasons. The thing is as well as being hard work for the artist it can spoil it from an audiences point of view as the theatre can appear cold and empty depending on how many the theatre seats - lets hope booking pick up slightly.

The one thing I love about our website is the interaction I have with all the fans. here's the thing - I got an email from a gentleman asking me to help him book seats for Stevenage because his mother was in a wheelchair and all the disabled seats had been sold. The email went on to mention his mothers name and a background to how she met Matt Monro in her youth etc etc. One of the names mentioned intrigued me and after corresponding further found out that Gordon Holland was indeed the same person I have written about in my forthcoming book. Amazing. Anyway I rang Gordon immediately and we had a wonderful chat about the 'old' days and he was able to expand on what I had already written. I spent two years researching dad's background and suddenly a chance email brings me in contact with one of the very people I had wanted to speak to. Brilliant. It really proves that it is a very small world.

There is a good advert on the Sunday Express today so we are hoping that will help with future bookings although to be honest tonight is the worst of them. Anyways will be back later.

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Hope bookings improve for tonight's show Michele.
I was going to mention it was nice to see the quite large colour advert in today's Sunday Express. Hope it improves bookings for the rest of Matt's tour.
Marian :D

ANNE & DAVID IOW

Post by ANNE & DAVID IOW » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:33 pm

Thank you Michele for keeping us updated on Matts Tour .. We are banging the drum loud and hard on the Island for Matts visit in November .
I can happily report the local paper have now printed his name correctly!!.
Matt will find The Medina theatre are really good well appointed venue , one final point , in a local cinema ( once a theatre) they have a original poster with your Dad topping the bill for a Sunday concert ,the supporting act would you believe was THE PRETTY THINGS !! I am hoping to obtain the poster and awaiting a call from the cinema owners... Once and if successful it will be on way to you.

Anne & David IOW

Miss Brown to You

Post by Miss Brown to You » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:00 pm

What a sharp contrast between the numbers at Langholm and the tickets sold for tonight! Cool news about catching up with Mr Holland. :wink: Thanks for the heads up about the ad in the Sunday Express...I've just dispatched the kids to go and buy a copy. :D
Sheila

Michele Monro

Show Time

Post by Michele Monro » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:22 am

Well I seriously don't know where they rounded up the people but by the time the curtain went up on the first half there were 101 people sitting in their seats. Those extra people make all the difference when you are trying to create an atmosphere and bless his heart, my brother says it was his best show ever. I pointed out that he has said that very same sentence after every show, but he says that is because it is true.

Not only were the audience on their feet, but the ushers, the manager and all the theatre staff and you don't really expect that with such a small contingency in but a big heartfelt thank you to the people of Edinburgh for making Matt feel so welcome. I know he was dreading tonight and thought he would die on his arse, but it just shows you - you never know what is round the corner.

I am purposely now divulging most of the songs in the performance so that it doesn't ruin in for anyone going to a later show but suffice to say by the time Matt does the Neil Diamond medley, that's it - judgement has been made and so far we have been very fortunate that the judgment has gone the right way. I mean wouldn't it be awful if someone left in the first interval!!!!

No traveling tonight so at least Matt was back at the Thistle Hotel by 11.30 and I do hope he gets some shut eye as he has a very very long drive back tomorrow. He said if he had had his way he would have come back tonight but he knows he wouldn't have made it - now is the time when he needed his driver - as I have said before people are such a let down.

Anyways, as already mentioned, because the next three shows have been cancelled Matt has time off he didn't expect so at least he has a few days at home before appearing at Doncaster on Friday. Maybe it is for the best as after that the tour gets very grueling with hardly a day off in three weeks.

For anyone that is still up enjoy the rest of your night - speak to you all soon.

Gray

Post by Gray » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:36 am

Thanks for all the updates, Michele.

Miss Brown to You

Post by Miss Brown to You » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Well I'm very pleased that last night went off so well! Though judging by the wonderful reactions of the audience and staff it only goes to show just what Anna and I are going to miss. I think we'll have to have a mini " 2 Matts Festival" at home tonight.

It's certainly a blessing in disguise that Matt's getting some rest over the rest of the week until Friday. Best of luck with the rest of the tour. :) All that driving on top of the performing etc must be a big strain. Best wishes to you both.
Sheila

Michele Monro

Message from Anna Reid

Post by Michele Monro » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:04 pm

Dear Matt

I just wanted to drop you a note to say how very much I enjoyed your concert last evening at the Queens Hall. I know that numbers may have been a little on the small side, however to my mind it just added “intimacy” to the evening. It’s just lovely that you can use your wonderful talent to keep the memory of your lovely father so alive and well. Dads are so very special. I lost my own recently, at the grand old age of 84. I will miss him forever, but am just so lucky to have had him and all the lovely memories of him, his wonderful jokes and stories and precious moments will live on and on in many people’s hearts. My Dad just had a way of touching people’s hearts and his smile would light up a whole room. I’ve certainly inherited that bit – so I’m told!

Thanks so much for taking time out to chat. I was first introduced to the songs of Matt Monro by the lovely, sadly late, Alan Dell presenter for many years of “Sounds Easy” on BBC Radio 2 on a Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for your nice message on my DVD and sincerely hope to see you again soon – Glasgow sounds like a good bet ☺ ☺

Michele Monro

Bad Review

Post by Michele Monro » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:44 pm

You know I have worked long and hard in this business for years and working behind the scenes I witness exactly how much work and money goes into presenting a top value for money show. When Matt first started out he was adamant that he would not try to emulate his father nor did he want to and he has strived to come to that happy medium of singing his type of music together with the songs that our father made famous that the fans insist on hearing. If Matt doesn't sing them they feel cheated. So it was with an unhappy heart that I read the review that was written by Martin Lennon in the Scotsman News after the Edinburgh Show.

Getting a bad review is one thing, it happens but this is an assassination. Matt doesn't profess to have his father's voice but I have to say he is a great entertainer. I have actually seen the new show myself so cannot quite understand the depth of this gentleman's grudge. He fully admits that the audience were standing on their feet at the end of the show - does he maybe think it was out of pity!!

Working in this business is quite hard enough without having to endure public humiliation from someone who is probably not qualified to give it.

Review: Son doesn't do Matt Monro justice in clumsy show

Published Date: 20 October 2008
By Martin Lennon
Matt Monro Jr **
Queen's Hall

TERRY PARSONS was a well loved singer with his own radio show in Hong Kong, but it took ragtime pianist Winifred Atwell to rename him Matt Monro and recommend him to the Decca record label before he gathered any real acclaim.
After his untimely death in 1985 at the age of 54, one of his sons, Matt Junior, decided to keep his name and legacy alive. Last night at the Queen's Hall, the younger Monro performed to an intimate gathering, telling stories and singing his father's best known songs as well as a few of his own choosing.

Unfortunately, it wasn't so much a case of following in his father's footsteps, as grimly clinging to his coat-tails. Matt Jnr was sadly not blessed with the vocal talent of Matt Senior, nor was he given quite the same gift of the gab.

Perhaps the kindest thing that might be said about the show was that it kept the memory of Matt Monro alive, although some sections of the audience might have argued that.

While there were some who not only applauded, but gave the 44 year old a standing ovation at the end, more sat with folded arms, clearly unimpressed.

Young Matt's voice seemed constricted, and the lyrics were often spoiled as he chewed his words.

The phrasing of well known songs seemed to suffer as he strove to stamp his own identity on the tracks, making them awkward and forced.
One classic, Mac The Knife, worked better than most, but then the phrasing and delivery there was almost a carbon copy of Sinatra's own version. As an aside, junior mentioned how Sinatra himself famously admired Monro Snr.

Brief stories like that proved to be the best value of the evening. The best joke of the night came early and alone, as he noted how few ever spelled the famous surname correctly, opting for Munro or Munroe. "It's easy," he said, "it's just an anagram of 'moron'".

A perhaps little know fact or two came out: producer George Martin got Monro Snr to record a song in the style of Sinatra for Peter Sellers to sing, loved the version he sang, and instead used it on a different album, crediting Monro as Fred Flange.

The Martin connection continued as Paul McCartney allowed Monro to become the first person to record the timeless and often covered classic, Yesterday – even before the Beatles had released theirs.

With his greying hair slicked back in his father's style, and wearing a retro looking charcoal grey suit, complete with thin lapels, Matt Jnr frequently maintained that the show was not a tribute and perhaps that was the case.

His numerous and constant references to "My dad", the sheer number of Monro senior's songs and the fact that his musical director and pianist – Colin Keyes – was his father's arranger might argue the point a little though.

On the whole, the band was well rehearsed and tight, though at least one of the trumpets was something of a loose cannon, frequently sharp in the upper octaves.

Nevertheless, the rhythm section couldn't have been tighter, laying a firm foundation for the performance.

For fans of the original, this show presents an opportunity to connect with a little piece of beloved musical history, at least. Diluted versions of classics like Born Free, My Kind Of Girl and Softly As I Leave You wrapped in delightful anecdotes might be enough, but if not, most of Matt Monro Snr's back catalogue is readily available.

Miss Brown to You

Post by Miss Brown to You » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:57 pm

In the past, I've read a lot of bad reviews for plays and concerts I have enjoyed and the rest of the audience have enthusiastically applauded! I sometimes wondered if the critic was at the same event! Yes, I read this review of Matt's show at Edinburgh and was throughly disgusted and bemused at the same time. :oops: :? :x
Sheila

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:55 pm

I have seen many great concerts, and after reading the critique, wondering if the critic was even at the same show-I think some like to make themselves sound "clever"--at the expense of the Performer--who usually is unable to answer back.

Ignore this guy, Matt and Michele--and just remember everone who enjoys the performances.
Mariana

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:00 pm

I often think critics who write this kind of review completely miss the point as to what an artist is trying to achieve, as in this case.
As we all know, Matt does not profess to be his father, he sets out to entertain people, and has built up a considerable loyal following in doing so.
Any criticism should be helpful and constructive, this is nothing of the sort, it just goes to show this man's ignorance of what an entertaining show is all about.
We do not expect perfection, it's not a symphony concert for God's sake.
This man's 'nit picking' attitude is obvious from his comment that a trumpet was "frequently sharp in the higher octaves"!!
I'm sure most people there went home with happy smiles on their faces after a great evening out.

:lol: :lol:
Marian and Peter.

ANNE & DAVID IOW

Post by ANNE & DAVID IOW » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Oh what a sad man Martin Lennon must be........The paying public call the shots and a standing ovation for Matt says it all.....Matt and Michele and the touring team FORGET M Lennon Esq AND KEEP THE MUSIC PLAYING !!

Anne & David IOW

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Well, when so much effort has been put in to a show critics can be cruel and hurtful, to them and and even to international stars it can be damaging.
Critics are not qualified to know what is good, and what isn't in every form of entertainment, it's only their own opinion,
We have seen this review from Martin Lennon, and we've seen these replies on Facebook from patrons who attended the concert......
From one......
Come on Mate, the act was fantastic.
You Martin Lennon should take off your ipod ear buds the next time you go to a concert--- what an unfettered piece of rubbish.

From another.....
Well personally I, and many others thought that Matt Monro Jnr and his band performed beautifully on Sunday. A small select audience were treated to an intimate evening of melodies and songs by Matt under the direction of Colin Keyes.
There was certainly nothing awkward or forced about any of the songs as Martin Lennon suggested, nor were there more people looking unimpressed with arms folded than cheering and clapping.
I was sitting at the side facing the audience and could see everything.
Not a nice or indeed truthful review.
So Martin Lennon, doesn't like Matt Monro Jnr, but many many people do. :) :)

Return to “One Man, One Voice, a Thousand Memories”