Doncaster

Matt Jnr's 2008 tour kicked off on 10th October. Read the roving reports that were written from theatres across the country
Michele Monro

Doncaster

Post by Michele Monro » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:50 pm

Sorry it has been a few days but I am desperately trying to finish the edit on the book, keep the tour in merchandise, book the back stage tours and write the updates for next week. It has been rather hectic.

I know Matt went off yesterday slightly down in the dumps. The article from Scotland really upset him, not because the review was bad - that happens to everybody - but it was such a personal attack. It can unsettle you and with a show to do that night he had to pull himself up and put himself in the 'mode'.

The Civic Theatre in Doncaster is a single story proscenium auditorium which was refurbished in the 1970's and is the mainstay of arts activity in the town. It seats just under 500 hundred people and I am not sure how many were actually in but it looked fairly full.

Matt was slightly bolstered by the appearance of some old friends from were he used to live in Milton Keynes but he shouldn't have been bothered he brought the house down - well quite literally. He was doing a storm in the first half and coming off stage in the interval he was downing an ice cold drink and changing his suit for the second half when all hell broke loose. The backstage curtains caught fire because the lighting was resting on it and smoke filled the dressing rooms. The fire brigade came rushing in response to the 999 call and thankfully put the blaze out before too much damage was done. Thankfully the show was allowed to carry on but it just goes to show you - you never know what is going to happen!!!

The fact that the show was nearly cut short made the audience even more appreciative of the show and Matt's faith was restored - he knew he did a cracker and although he didn't get a standing ovation (first time on the tour) the applause was heavy and heartfelt.

Matt did his usual hour in the foyer and the lines were so long I think the theatre staff thought they were never going home. Everybody had a great night and Matt and his mate Martin headed off for a much needed night cap at the hotel.

Another day, another dollar and a few flames!!!
Till the next one

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:30 am

Thank you for another great report Michele :D
Matt must have been quite apprehensive following that uncalled for review.
Good to hear he had a boosting evening anyway, a great reception, an appreciative audience, and met up with friends...and it certainly gives another meaning to setting the stage alight!! :lol:
Marian :D

Return to “One Man, One Voice, a Thousand Memories”