Hunstanton

Matt Jnr's 2008 tour kicked off on 10th October. Read the roving reports that were written from theatres across the country
Michele Monro

Hunstanton

Post by Michele Monro » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:08 am

The Danum Hotel was awful! It was like a ghost town - thank God it didn't reflect the attendance at the theatre because there was nobody there. It is very hard to order a drink from the bar when you can't find the staff! And to add insult to injury the bed was rock hard.

Matt had a live radio on Radio Kent at 9.30. The show was called 'Saturday Carry on hosted by Paul James and Paul Harris. I'm not sure whether they have the availabilty of hearing past shows but if you feel like looking the website is www.bbc.co.uk/kent/local_radio/programmes_weekends/

Matt's friend Martin had stayed overnight with him at the hotel and they headed over to Scunthrope to meet an old girl friend for lunch. It is always nice if you get time to socialize for a few hours as the days can be very long depending on the amount of traveling you have to do.

Opened as the Capitol Cinema, a conversion of a hotel called Simpsons and built for occasional use as theatre. The frame construction with local carrstone facing, stands on the sea front but partly on the north side masked by a row of late nineteenth century residences with modern co-ordinated bungalow shop fronts. A single storey entrance and foyer extension was built in 1998 designed in metal and glass. The auditorium is a simple exercise in 1930s design with stripped classical plaster decoration to the proscenium arch. I would describe it as quaint.

The show was amazing and Matt was back to his old self wowing the crowds and receiving a deserved standing ovation. I have to tell you a secret we put in a small routine concerning a hat for the song 'Mr Bojangles'. Matt said he didn't want to try it the first night of the tour as he had enough to think about and every day since he has had an excuse. He is scared of looking silly because he isn't a natural mover but watch this space - I will make him put it in and I know it will go down really well as it is very theatrical.

Martin was still in town and tonight kindly offered to drive Matt back to Milton Keynes - that way he gets to have a drink with his friends and he will spend his days off there. It is such a shame there wasn't any room for his golf clubs in the car as it would have been good for him to walk a few holes but the car is laden. The good thing is that it breaks the driving up and Matt will come back on Tuesday.

Anyways if any of you went to see one of the shows don't forget to add your comments here, we would love to know what you thought of it, or of you are going to one of the forthcoming ones you can share with us what you are looking forward to.

Till soon
Toodles

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:22 pm

I tried the link to Radio Kent Michele, and found the programme, but the guests were given as Sandy Toksvig and Tony Christie, so I'm afraid I didn't stick with it for 4 hours, but if you say Matt was definitely on the show, I'll give it another go.
Pleased to hear Matt is now back to his old form, and is able to spend some time with his pals before his next show.
:D :D
Marian.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:37 pm

It's probably me, :roll: but I couldn't seem to locate this programme. Some stations don't have the Seven Day Listen Again, and is just there for that particular day.
We discovered similar trying to get an Al Martino interview on a Merseyside station.

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:18 am

I found the programme. It was definitely called Saturday Carry On and was on from 6a.m - 10a.m Saturday, but on the introduction they didn't mention Matt was a guest which was why I queried it. :? :?
Marian :wink:

Return to “One Man, One Voice, a Thousand Memories”