Dudley

Matt Jnr's 2008 tour kicked off on 10th October. Read the roving reports that were written from theatres across the country
Michele Monro

Dudley

Post by Michele Monro » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:33 pm

When Pam mentioned to us that she couldn't work on this particular gig because of prior commitments, I have to admit I did wonder how we were going to cope with the show and the merchandise - but there is always a silver lining and although not quite the Lone Ranger, Paul turned up on our doorstep ready to resume his duties - albeit for one night only.

Actually it was a Godsend, it wasn't just a matter of the merchandise but he also took over the driving, had that not happened I doubt whether Matt could have done the show. After coming off stage at Tunbridge Wells he suffered another vertigo attack. This first happened last year when he fell off a chair and damaged his inner ear, it took months but finally did heal - something the doctor said might stay with Matt for the rest of his life but on Thursday without warning the world started spinning.

Thankfully Dudley was one of the shorter routes of the tour and before long they were pulling up at this attractive venue situated in the heart of Dudley which bears the magnificent castle as a backdrop.

It was one of our better audiences at just under three hundred people, something we are very grateful for considering the management told Paul that Gary Wilmot had only pulled forty people in. It seems that only Freddie Starr has done good business although he only went on stage for 50 minutes!!!

Everything was ready, Matt had started feeling better, the curtain was ready to rise - just one small thing that I should mention - the keyboard player wasn't there! He couldn't be reached by hone and after leaving it as long as humanly possible it was evident he wasn't coming. As the saying goes 'the show must go on' and it certainly did just that.

The minute that Matt walked out on that stage the audience were his. Colin got an overwhelming welcome and it was evident from the start it was going to be a great night. Colin worked overtime to cover for the fact there was no keyboard but the lack of which seemed to emphasize the brass and certainly the audience were none the wiser over the last minute hitch.

The comedy routine between Matt and Colin is as good as any on the television and Pul had tears running down his face at one point - the two of them were brilliant.

The interval saw droves of audience members storm the merchandise area and by the time Matt went back on stage for the second half we were sold out of several items. They couldn't grab enough and quite honestly I haven't seen anything like it. If anyone missed out on an item they wanted then please drop me an email and I will do my best to mail order it.

The night was amazing, Matt always seems to work better under stress and certainly no one could have known he was several degrees under par. I am only grateful that he has three days off now and hopefully with some decent sleep and rest he might shake this off. It is the most awful thing and can hit at any time without warning, the floor just disappears and you cannot get your bearings. Vertigo is caused by an imbalance of the ear but Matt has time to go to the doctor on Monday so fingers crossed.

The roads were disastrous yesterday as was the weather so the boys stayed overnight at the Quality Hotel but although it was nice that Matt could just fall into bed, it is never the same as your own. Anyways the boys arrived safely back this afternoon and so as they say another day another dollar.

The next part of the tour is the most strenuous with eight solid days on the road. Matt has been spoilt up to now and has managed to pop home every few days but that luxury is at an end but they do say - no pain no gain, I will let you know.

Have a great weekend, until next time
Enjoy the music

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:52 pm

With atrocious weather, Matt under the weather, no one to man the merchandise table, and no keyboard player, I think all three who manned the fort on this occasion should be awarded a few words of thanks. :D
Very well done to Matt, Paul and Colin who carried on like real troopers and saved the day. :D :D :D
Marian :wink:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:30 am

Wow, what dramas there! So incredible that it all came together in the end--a big well done to everyone. I can sympathise with Matt, as my husband occasionally suffered with Vertigo, and I know how distressing it can be. Good luck to Matt for the rest of the concerts-I know we will be thinking of him, even though we may not be there.
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:37 am

Well done to Paul for coming to the rescue..................Michele wasn't very happy with him a couple of weeks ago, was she ?? :wink: :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

ANNE & DAVID IOW

Post by ANNE & DAVID IOW » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:02 am

Just a line to say Matt is on the John Hannan show today IOW radio , and the local paper had a nice piece about the forth-coming show..November 6th MEDINA THEATRE ...see you then Matt

Anne & David IOW

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:25 am

Disappointing to find the interview was a repeat from last year, and then it seemed to disappear altogether!! :o :o
Marian :wink:

Return to “One Man, One Voice, a Thousand Memories”