Margate

Matt Jnr's 2008 tour kicked off on 10th October. Read the roving reports that were written from theatres across the country
Michele Monro

Margate

Post by Michele Monro » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:00 pm

Long day yesterday but I have to say it was worth all Matt's efforts and the crowd was definitely ready, willing and able. Mind you the theatre staff were amazing as well. The manager Art is the spitting image of Jeremy Clarkson, and knows it. It's quite spooky and you find yourself expecting to see the "Stig'.

I know I say this most nights but the show was amazing, even Matt who is so self critical admitted it was a great show. One of his staunchest fans, Caroline was back again, sitting in her usual front row seat, I say back again because she has been to at least six shows on this tour and it's not over yet. Last year her attendance was just as enthusiastic. That being said, she travels miles to do it. On one gig she left her house in cambridge, caught the coach to the venue, checked into a hotel, got ready, got a taxi to the theatre only to be told "Sorry love he was on last night!!!"

She brought her mother last night and so juts before my brother's 'Matt Monro Medley' he paused proceedings and presented her with a bouquet of flowers. I think it went down well. He shared with the audience that not only does she go everywhere but she only joined the Fan Club so she could also attend the Backstage Pass events each time. Well Caroline, I hope you think he is worth it, no doubt we will see you in the next few days!!

As you know Colin and Matt have a great time on the road and this is evident on stage where their banter has become a comedy routine in its own right. They are always trying to get one over on the other. Matt floored the house when he was talking about how beautiful the theatre was, that is is the second oldest theatre in the country, dating back to 1780 - "nearly as old as my musical director."

There is a spot in the show where Colin starts the intro to 'New York, New York', and instead of the usual patter, Matt turned round and said "I can't work like this" and walked off the stage leaving Colin sitting there like a lemon - good old Colin, he just swiveled round off his stool to face the audience and gave this wonderfully baneful smile, shrugged his shoulders and stared playing 'New York' on piano. It brought the house down and meant that Colin definitely won the points last night - what a pro, nothing fazes him.

It is wonderful that these two men have such a great understanding of the other's art, and so can be appreciative of the other's talent. Matt always gives the opportunity for Colin to shine, he is an integral part of the show and we wouldn't want to be without him. The friendship is a long one, after all growing up he was known as 'Uncle Colin' and it is amazing how things have come full circle. It is a wonderful thing having the other as a rock, and confidante, not so much on this tour but when they go abroad, like the five weeks in the Philippines, it would be a very lonely existence without that friendship.

This time we have had the added bonus of having Pam on the tour with us, and as much as we miss Paul, we couldn't have asked for a better 'temporary replacement'. It certainly keeps everything in the family.

Matt got home at 2.00am and after eating a very cold KFC Zinger, discussing some last minute business, booking his ferry for the Isle of Wight, he finally fell into bed at 3.30pm - that wouldn't be so bad but he had a live radio interview early this morning before leaving for Southampton to catch the ferry.

Onwards and upwards.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:29 am

Glad to hear you had a good time, Anne and David. Matt has been having a traumatic tour, in one way and another , by the sounds of things, so I am really impressed that he is still wowing his audiences.

And a big thank you to Michele for keeping us up to date with all the news on the tour--obviously it has not been easy, but it is fascinating hearing all the happenings--good and bad !!!
Mariana

Michele Monro

Message from Andrew Lloyd

Post by Michele Monro » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:40 am

I attended Matt Monro Jr's concert in Margate last night. Please pass on my congratulations for the show. I was very impressed with the warmth and affection he clearly had for the audience and his song selection.

I've only discovered the music of Matt Monro in the last twelve months and can't believe what I've been missing! As a singer myself I can appreciate a really good voice and Matt clearly was right up there with Sinatra and Bennett and considerably better than both of them on some numbers. I am now a committed fan. I just wish I could have seen him live...

Many Thanks,
Andy Lloyd

Return to “One Man, One Voice, a Thousand Memories”