Stevenage

Matt Jnr's 2008 tour kicked off on 10th October. Read the roving reports that were written from theatres across the country
Michele Monro

Stevenage

Post by Michele Monro » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:23 pm

The Gordon Craig Theatre has been entertaining audiences from across the home counties since it first opened its doors in 1975. This 500 seat theatre boasts a varied programme of live entertainment, ranging from one-night variety-music shows to week long drama productions. The theatre is fairly new and you would think it has everything you could want and in one way it does - everything that is except for air-conditioning!!!

Paul was back in his rightful place last night and was happily back to doing what he does best -setting the display for the merchandise - unfortunately the table was right under several spotlights and he slowly melted as the evening went on. It reminded me of the wicked witch of the west in Wizard of Oz,I expected to come back and see just a puddle of water on the floor!!!

Then of course there was the small matter of a two mile walk to get backstage!! This required a high lever of fitness as there is an awful lot of stage gear to unload but then every theatre has a challenge.

It was Matt's 4th visit to Stevenage but that certainly didn't stop people coming to see the show. As always Matt was brilliant (that's what he told me anyway) and you will be pleased to know we have finally retrieved Matt's hat from the sound crew van - now it is just a small matter of convincing him to use it in the show.

Lovely to see George and Irene Denman who flew in especially from Spain to see the show and they joined the crew after the show for drinks at the hotel.

Matt was loving last night and after the first half he went back to the dressing room to change for the second half, have a cold drink and check over his music. The curtain went up and Matt strolled on immaculately dressed in black dress suit. He sang 'My Kind of Girl' to the ladies in the audience and enjoyed the applause that followed the finish of the song. There follows a bit of chat where he asks the question "Ladies what do you think of the suit??? Most nights the ladies respond with applause, wolf whistles and enthusiastic whoops - on this occasion an old lady shouted out "It's better than the one you wore in the first half!!" What can you say to that. Matt fell about.

The only glitch of the night was with Paul - he decided to pull a moody - why you might ask?? Well Paul usually drives on a tour but yesterday Matt was driving and after setting the route on 'Muriel' (The Sat Nav) they set off, with one small difference. When Paul drives ALL he plays in the car is Matt Monro discs and I had just given him the brand new EMI release "Matt Live in Australia", which he was looking forward to immensely. Obviously the driver has the prerogative about those choices - but Matt insisted on Choice FM (boo hoo) - on both legs of the journey.

Never mind Paul, it's your turn tonight!!

Return to “One Man, One Voice, a Thousand Memories”