Glasgow

Matt Jnr's 2008 tour kicked off on 10th October. Read the roving reports that were written from theatres across the country
Michele Monro

Glasgow

Post by Michele Monro » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 pm

With its imposing terra cotta facade, the Pavilion Theatre of Varieties was designed by Bertie Crewe in the grand manner for Thomas Barrasford. The domed ceiling was surmounted by an electrically controlled sliding roof for ventilation. Fine Rococo plasterwork on the circle, balcony and box fronts; decoration executed in pure Louis XV; handsome mahogany woodwork and the marble mosaic floor all lent the 1800 seat theatre an aura of splendour.

Performances in the early days were mainly variety, melodrama and pantomime, with top name stars of the Scottish variety scene, such as Harry Gordon and Dave Willis. Many of the leading music hall artistes of the period appeared at the Pavilion, including Marie Lloyd, Little Tich, Harry Lauder, Florrie Forde, Will Fyffe, Sarah Bernhardt and a then unknown Charlie Chaplin.

Little altered and virtually unspoilt since its inception, the seating capacity of 1449 is made up of 677 stalls, 341 circle, 413 balcony and 18 box seats. While the stiff shirts in chauffeur-driven cabs have given way to coach parties from the rural areas of Strathclyde and beyond, a policy of providing the best in live entertainment has been pursued consistently.

Matt was looking forward to the Pavilion having received a wonderful welcome from a 900 strong crowd last year. But however lovely the theatre the traveling is a killer and the gale force winds and torrential rains didn't ease the journey. Matt's friend Sally had kindly volunteered her services to help with the merchandise so thankfully Matt didn't have as much to contend with as the night before but it was still all extra work and the box office receipts were disappointing. There was just under 400 in the house, which in the times of the credit crunch, is good, but you can't help feeling if only we'd done more advertising!!! But this year Tony Clayman, the promoter used a different PR service, and the difference in results is chalk and cheese. You know what they say you should have done everything yourself but when touring it is impossible as the majority of your day is spent on the road.

Rehearsals went well and our trumpet player was feeling more like a human being today but there is nothing worse than getting sick on tour. Even with roadside service stations there just aren't enough toilets en-route and having the runs becomes daring challenge but thankfully he arrived in good spirits.

It is hard to talk about the shows anymore without sounding as if I am making it up but it was a knock out and another standing ovation, which I thought was richly deserved, was received.

Matt's Scottish promoter, Robert Pratt went in to se the show and spent several hours talking buisness afterwards and hopefully we are finally going to be able to put together the intimate tour we talked of last year.
I think this is the best way to go with the economy as it stands and its not just England that is affected, it is a worldwide problem. Matt is going in December back to the Philippines, which has become a bit of a yearly ritual, but the dates have even been affected there resulting in less shows than is usual.

Show business is dying out in England and this sort of tumult doesn't help matters. Before you know it there will be nowhere to see a live show, which will be a great pity. Theatres cannot afford to offer guarantees anymore so the artist is forced to go on the road with less musicians or even backing tracks in order to make it viable. Anyway back to Glasgow.

It is very hard to relax after a show when you know you have an eight hour journey home the next day and Sod's law prevailed with Matt getting very little sleep. In fact he had to concede defeat after five hours today and stop off at a hotel so I don't expect to see him now until lunchtime tomorrow. It's a shame really as if he had got back tonight he would have had most of the day off tomorrow. The Beck is only 40 minutes from here so he doesn't need to leave until 4.00pm but the best laid plans..........

I will be there myself tomorrow night and will be looking out for familiar faces. Four of our members are booked on the backstage tour although one couple might have to drop out. Lena and Harry endured a real hardship at the weekend when one of the flats beneath their own caught fire resulting in the whole block being evacuated. Poor Lena had a rather nasty fall and suffered a black eye but thankfully she is not too badly hurt but as with all these sorts of things, shock plays a huge part. I know when I spoke to her a few days ago she was worried about whether she could make the Beck. It is not just her health but the firemen knocked their front door down and there is only a temporary fixture there in its place and of course it is a worry leaving your home less than 100% protected.

Anyway I look forward to seeing some of you tommorrow night and until then - Enjoy the music

Michele Monro

Message from Sheila Taylor

Post by Michele Monro » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 pm

Saw Matt Jnr in Pavilion, Glasgow last night. Excellent. Matt was on top form and loved the banter with Colin.
Wish Matt all the best for the tour.
regards.

Sheila x

Michele Monro

Message from Anna Reid

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Well what can I say? Super, Splendid, Professional, Welcoming, a Joy to hear. So did I enjoy the show then? You bet I did. Box office receipts might have been small buy hey we are in a credit crunch. Matt was just lovely. He is soooo welcoming and just oozes such genuine warmth and kindness to his audience, who were in fits of laughter over his antics with Colin. And as for THE HAT – I am so glad he chose to include it – he must, must, must include it in every show from now on. (that’s YOU told Matt – that is EVERY show from now on – you really suit it)

I’m truly sorry I didn’t get to chat to Matt afterwards – I needed to kinda dash as I was staying with friends and didn’t want to be too late home. There were quite a few people waiting to see him anyway and I would only have kept him talking for too long, when he needed to get away himself.

Look forward to the next time.

Anna

Return to “One Man, One Voice, a Thousand Memories”