Hayes

Matt Jnr's 2008 tour kicked off on 10th October. Read the roving reports that were written from theatres across the country
Michele Monro

Hayes

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:43 pm

Many of you already know we classify this venue as being out home theatre, primarily because our father worked it regularly and it was only 30 minutes from our front door. It was was built in 1977 by Hillingdon Borough Council, with a bequest from Councillor Alfred Beck - hence the name. It was purposely built to be a community orientated theatre, and is lucky to be set in a parkland aspect adjoining the small botanical Gardens, with a beautiful patio area, ornamental pond and car parking for 200.

The foyer is used during the summer for Sunday Jazz lunches, themed evenings and wedding receptions, as the surroundings proved idyllic.

In 1986 The Alfred Beck had the distinction of being the first local authority owned theatre to work in partnership with private enterprise, when Charles Vance Ltd took over the programming and running the venue, whilst still being in the ownership of the local council. Over the years the theatre has seen many companies take over the running of the venue including Hethrington Seelig, Apollo Leisure, Clear Channel Entertainment, Live Nation and is now run by HQ Theatres who were awarded a 15 year management contract to run the venue in may 2007

The programming remained unchanged with a mix of both professional productions and local societies, dance schools and youth theatres. Although it has benefited from a refurbishment dad's photographs still grace the Foyer walls.

Even though we have a soft spot for the venue it is know for its bad sound and it is always a struggle getting the right balance but we usually win through in the end. No surprise to find less than a full house but we have done better than most with Gary Wilmot only doing 52 a few weeks ago. I so don't understand it, he is a brilliant talent, has done so much West End theatre, he should be full. The real shocker for me was that the Beck had a psychic there on Monday night and she was sold out with 600 people but I suppose she knew that before turning up!!! I can understand people wanting a private audience with someone in this field but not sitting in an audience with a room full of strangers. Who am I to criticise, I'm just jealous that she did better business than us!!

Paul's familiar face was in Hayes again tonight, I tell you that man can sell sand to an Arab and there's no doubting he is the best at doing this job (I"m only saying that because I know he reads this blog!!!). Matt has a day off tomorrow so the boys arranged to enjoy a day playing golf - mind you they were going to leave here at 4.30AM tomorrow morning and I didn't think that would help Matt's sore throat much but it is now elementary as Paul got an urgent message to ring home to find that his son has broken his arm. Typical father forgot to ask which arm but the upshot is he has to be at the plaster clinic first thing in the morning - I always thought he should have been there a long time ago! The golf game will be played next week after the tour has finished.

It's weird to suddenly think this tour is nearly over, it is always sad as the sound crew, lighting crew,and musicians are like our extended family and boy do they abuse each other. Matt introduced me to his sound guy tonight who is - well lets say rather overweight (that is being very very kind) He told me he was in a bad mood as he'd had to pay excess baggage on the ferry last week (but he didn't have any luggage!!) and that he'd recently lost two stone --- he'd had a hair cut. Well you have to have a thick skin and a sense of humour in this business.

Marian and Peter Down were on the Backstage Tour but Lena and Harry Smith were missing because of the mishap at their flat on Saturday. We are sorry not to have seen you guys but will make up for it another time.

I arrived at the theatre tonight with my son Max and his girlfriend Justine, and I was pleasantly surprised to notice a sea of Matt Monro T Shirts floating about the foyer. Matt dedicated the Buble song 'Feeling Good' to his nephew and so Max was all chuffed. Geraldine, the lady who runs the "Friends of Matt Monro' Fan Club was also there with a membership special offer so she was extremely busy converting the masses. If anyone would like to take up the offer please let me know.

It was also great to see our staunchest fan Caroline who turned up in her usual front row seat on her own tonight, unfortunately it seems her mother was taken ill after one of Matt's shows a few days ago and was taken to hospital in Margate - Caroline has left her there while still continuing to see the shows. She explained that the only reason she isn't coming to the closing night in Chelmsford is because she is flying out on holiday to Malta that day - mind you, it wouldn't shock me to see her sitting front row again - let's hope she makes her flight.

What can I tell you, Matt got another standing ovation proving it is not quantity but quality and that it is always worth going on - thanks to everyone who made him feel so welcome including the theatre staff.

Till Friday - enjoy the music

stop press - stop press - stop press

Paul's just rung me from the car to see his bottom is soaked!! Two years ago he took a sharp turn in Horsham, so sharp in fact that he left a small piece of his car there as a memento of his stay. Ever since the car has let water in when it rains but yesterday it was being Mr Grumpy and purposely drove through a massive puddle to soak someone waiting at a bus stop - result most of the water entered the car - I think it is God paying him back -anyway I am still wiping the tears away thinking of him driving down the M25 with a squelchy bum listening to dad singing 'Rain Sometimes'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:45 am

The Beck, Hayes.

To begin, I'd just like to say we missed everyone from last year last night, but especially Lena and Harry who were meant to be there, and we were so looking forward to seeing again.

We arrived at the Beck a little early for our backstage tour, but were pleased to be met at the door by Paul, who was back on duty for the evening. It was good to see him again and catch up on all his news.
He then took us into the theatre where rehearsals were already taking place. We sat at the side to watch and enjoy the proceedings. Some band members were still arriving, so I don't think we had missed too much.
Matt had two concerns, one his voice, which after Glasgow was giving a few problems, and the other, the Beck auditorium itself, which he referred to as a "dead theatre". He explained that the sound was the problem, as it didn't carry properly into the hall. It was fine on the stage, but there was too much reverberation at the back of the hall, and too little in the centre.
Anyway, after much persistence on both Matt and the sound engineer's part, they got it to a satisfactory level. Michele certainly got it right, the sound guy is a man.

After rehearsals, which were longer than usual due to the sound problems, we made our way along with Paul, through a maze of narrow passageways, to Matt's dressing room. It was no bigger than a shoebox, and very basic. Matt then met us there for a nice glass of wine (or two) and a chat. Talk got around to his long drive back from Glasgow over the two previous days, and Paul remarked grinning, that Matt could do with a permanent driver, and they both found this highly amusing!

Time to leave as Matt had to get ready, Paul had to unpack and display the merchandise and we had to get a bite to eat and a coffee, so we all went our separate ways for a while. There were quite a few people in the foyer by now, and Peter and I met up with Geraldine who runs 'Friends of Matt Monro', who was there with her mother. We sat with them for a while, and Geraldine asked if she could interview us for the next newsletter. I believe I even talked her into joining our forum, but it might just have been the remnants of the wine taking over. Michele arrived, bringing Max and his girlfriend Justine, who both helped Paul on the merchandise table. Michele didn't stay for the performance, but she did stay and chat for a while.

The show started at 7.30p.m. with Colin and the band already on stage.
Matt appeared, wearing a smart grey suit for the first half of the show, changing into a tux for the latter half. He looked tanned and fit, and we were hoping that his voice would stand up to the challenges ahead. He had already told us there were about twelve new songs in the show this year. We had also heard that the press were in last night. We needn't have worried, about the voice anyway, we have yet to see what the press thought, but who cares! Matt was definately singing better than ever this tour. The whole show also seemed to flow more smoothly, and Matt was relaxed and appeared confident with all the new numbers. The theme of course was the life and his love for his dad as before, and the influences that shaped his life and career. One of Matt Snr's main influences, as well as being a firm friend, Sammy Davis Jnr. introduced us once again to Mr Bojangles, complete with hat, and I must admit it suits Matt Jnr. well. As Michele thought, it adds a more theatrical feel to the song, and Matt should definately try not to lose it again!

Influencing Matt Jnr's own singing career brought us to Neil Diamond, and the medley got the audience singing along with a great deal of foot tapping and clapping, although it didn't actually get them out of their seats this time. I must just mention a little incident that went on in the seat just behind where we were sitting for the whole of the first half of the show. A lady had lost half her hearing aid somewhere in the depths of her handbag, and for what seemed an age it whistled along gaily, and proved somewhat of a distraction to those sitting nearby. Matt even heard her say "I can't find it" at one point, and he asked if she needed a torch! Anyway, the second half went ahead hearing aid free, I'm pleased to say. As always, Matt included a medley of his father's songs, ending with Softly, and as an encore, Born Free.

A special new song he dedicated to his father, and one I've never heard before "Dance With my Father" is particularly moving, and Matt performed it almost in darkness with just a spotlight on his face. As Michele said, the show ended to yet another standing ovation. It was a small but very appreciative audience and all the remarks I heard on leaving the auditorium were positive. I even heard one man say, "Well, what did you think of that mum? He was better than Frank Sinatra wasn't he?" What a great accolade to end the evening on.

Special thanks from Peter and myself to both Matt and Paul, for making it such an enjoyable evening.

Marian
:D :D

john

Post by john » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:12 am

I am pleased you had a great time last night, Marian and Peter. 8)

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Marian and Peter, we are so pleased that the evening at the Beck turned out so successfully and you had a great evening seeing Matt again.
We know by Michele's reports on the scheduled venues how hard everyone involved works to put on a good show. Thank you for a great review of the evening's events. We were so disappointed that we were unable to be there to see Matt performing again, but there will be more times in the future when we can make up for this.

Thank you for the lovely photo too, much appreciated by us both. :) :)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi Marian-thanks for the comprehensive review--it sounded just great !

I have heard "Dance With My father" recently, quite a few times-I cannot remember who normally sings it, but I expect someone will know--and yes it is a really nice song !
Mariana

Michele Monro

Dance with My Father

Post by Michele Monro » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:30 pm

The singer was Luther Vandross

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:39 pm

So it was-thanks Michele
Mariana

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm sure Matt did tell us, so I must apologise for not concentrating at this time, and I'm sure it was post hearing aid too!
I will never forget now though.
Paul wrote to tell me too. Thanks Paul.
Marian :D

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi Marian

Thanks very much for the review, really enjoyed reading it.

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:43 pm

Cheers everyone. Pleased you enjoyed reading it.
Marian :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:20 am

Thank's for the informative and interesting post Marian :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Return to “One Man, One Voice, a Thousand Memories”