Chelmsford

Matt Jnr's 2008 tour kicked off on 10th October. Read the roving reports that were written from theatres across the country
Michele Monro

Chelmsford

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:15 pm

Ok as per usual on a last night of a tour, not only do the family come together but we invite a few friends along ourselves and at the end of the night a small party hits the nearest hotel to the venue. I was particularly pleased that our cousin Reg Parsons had agreed to come as he has never seen Matt work. It's a miracle that he could actually come as he is so madly busy or on the road himself. We had agreed to meet with him at 7.15pm in the foyer.

We were pleased that the Civic fell on the last night as Matt likes it there and it didn't hurt that we were sold out - yes all 505 seats. The theatre prides itself on its friendly, welcoming atmosphere and ability to appeal to everyone through a diverse programme of high quality theatre. With that said it didn't extend to providing a piano for the evening. Actually I'm telling lies there was an old pub upright in the back area of the stage that would be more suited to a saloon.

Matt, Paul and Sue had left on time at 2.00pm ready for bandcall. It doesn't matter how many shows you have done you always need to do a run through as musicians change from night to night and the sound is different at every venue. With no piano it was weird seeing Colin Keyes sitting in the stalls watching the rest of the band 'do their thing'. Matt carried on as normal although he had made it very clear that if there was no piano there would be no performance. The theatre staff scuried round and at the eleventh hour one was delivered and then tuned to concert pitch --------- at a cost to us of £350.00!!!!!!

One lovely thing was that Peter, one of our past musicians on trombone, flew in especially from Spain to play for Matt, as it was his last show - for free. That doesn't happen too often and it shows the regard that the boys hold for Matt. Zac turned up to see the show, some of you might remember he did support for us two years ago, and he was in fine form.

Meanwhile back in London, one snapped tooth and an emergency dental visit later I am struggling with my feelings about going to the show because I didn't want to let Matt down. Mum had come down with a bad cold on Monday and by yesterday afternoon was suffering from a hacking cough. It was agreed that she shouldn't go as she couldn't have sat in the auditorium as she would have disturbed the show every time she coughed.

Then a phone call from the school - a gang of youths had turned up outside the school - their target - my son Max. An altercation had taken place in the school play ground at morning break resulting in Max being punched in the face. Max has been taught not to retaliate in a situation of this kind and that riled the boy even more. Feeling frustrated he arranged for his friends to turn up after school to pay Max a lesson.. Unbeknown to them Max leaves by the back exit because he goes to school by bike and that is where the bikes are stored. They collar two of Max's friends at the gates and the result was that one of those boys ended up in hospital with stitches in his face.

There followed dozens of calls, statements and exclusions but the school were unable to contact the main culprit or his parents. Long story short Max was advised not to go in to school today until 11.00am thus avoiding anyone who may be lying in wait. This is the story so far but all I can say it wasn't like that when we were at school. As a single parent there are so many worries in modern life and it is hard to try and juggle everything accordingly.

Anyway as the saying goes the show must go on. Matt was delighted to see Len and Freda. They were actually booked on the back stage tour but didn't turn up until nearly 7.00pm so there was nothing that we could do but Matt made sure to give them some time.

Bernie our sound man, who we have mentioned on the blog before and is rather a large gentleman was given the affectionate name of Friar Tuck by Matt. At the end of one of Matt's songs Bernie wandered on to the stage dressed in full Friar Tuck regalia, it was hysterical.

Matt was in the middle of telling the audience his 5 rules for dating.
They must be able to cook and clean
They must be honest. loving and trustworthy
They must want children and bring them up in a way we originally discussed
They must be good in bed
To which a lady in the audience shouted out
But you're never here!!!!!!!

Phil, the photographer who did the lion shoot with Matt at Broxbourne also came to see the show. As a favour to Matt he agreed to take some pictures of Matt in his hat during Mr Bojangles, this for my mother who has not seen this in the act before. The intro started, the lights dimmed down and Matt was beautifully spot-lit. He sang the first few bars and Phil started snapping away, flash bulbs in over drive when suddenly the theatre staff descended on him like an escapee from Alcatraz. Paul quickly ran though to explain that Phil was one of the crew and he had our permission to take the pictures - Excellent, things quickly sorted and a bill for £350.00 presented. This the fee for the theatre's permission to allow us the privilege of taking photos of ourselves!!!!!!!! Talk about making a quick buck. Mind you I shouldn't be surprised. When I went to Harlow, I armed myself with camera and video camera and was merrily shooting and taking footage during rehearsals. Matt was apparently pulled aside later in the day and told off, musician union rules you know. I wouldn't mind but it was for my own personal use.

Matt was absolutely mobbed at the end of the night and the queues for signing was enormous. The last 20th anniversary plate was actually sold and eventually the last fan left the building.

And so the singer and his musicians were finished, the equipment packed into large moving vans, the music gathered and the props collected. It was time to say goodbye for the foreseeable future - well that was until they descended on the County Hotel in Chelmsford together with the sound and lighting crew and Sue and Paul for a goodbye drink.

It is always sad when a tour finishes but God willing it won't be the last. Thanks to all the theatre staff who, more often than not, made us feel so welcome, to the sound and lighting crew, who as always, did a stellar job, a massive thanks to Colin for making the act that more special. Thanks to Pam for stepping into the line of fire and ensuring the merchandise was there each night and my thaks to Paul and Sue for everything that they do. A big thank you to Geraldine for running the Fan Club and making it so successful

Thank you to all of you who supported the show in difficult times. Thanks for all the cards, letters and messages of support and good wishes and thank you for supporting the Forum by reading my drivel every day.

Until the next time
Enjoy the music

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:35 pm

We feel we've been every step of the way with Matt on this tour Michele, thanks to your great descriptive write-ups. Many thanks.
'Til the next time. :D
Marian and Peter :D :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:40 pm

And Thank you Michele for keeping us up to date with reports on each of the venues on Matt's tour.
There's no business like show business. We find it exhausting just reading what a tour such as this entails.
Everyone involved do a great job, and now deserve a well earned rest.
Well done Matt, once again you've made many, many people happy.
Hope Mickie will soon be feeling better, and so sorry to hear about Max.
It's just a great pity that kids at school these days have no fear of the consequences when they cause trouble of any kind, be it from parents or teachers, that's why it's difficult to know the best way to react to these cowards who are rarely on their own when they pick on some one.
Hope it will be resolved.

ANNE & DAVID IOW

Post by ANNE & DAVID IOW » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:17 am

Michele, Could we add another BIG thanks for all your humous and informative reviews of Matts tour.

So very sorry to hear about youg Matt.

We also wish that great Lady Mickey well.

God Bless Michele , Anne & David IOW

ANNE & DAVID IOW

Post by ANNE & DAVID IOW » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:35 am

Whoops ,sorry Michele I tapped in Matt instead of Max , but I wish them both well anyway .........David ......Anne & David IOW

len & freda

Post by len & freda » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:38 pm

We both enjoyed the show very much, but didn't manage to get to the backstage tour as we had to wait for our daughter in law to finish work at 5.30p.m., at one stage it was very doubtful if Len was going to make it as he was very under the weather and feeling really grotty. It was lovely to see Matt at the end of the show and we bought one of the anniversary plates which is in a very prominent spot in the lounge.

Best wishes to Mickie and Max .

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:28 pm

So pleased to hear you made it to the show Len and Freda. :D :D
Please pass on our best wishes to Len and we hope he feels better soon.
Marian and Peter.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi Len and Freda, so glad that you were able to make Matt's concert, we know how much you were looking forward to it.
Give our best wishes to Len, and we hope he will soon be feeling better.

john

Post by john » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:07 pm

I am pleased that you and Len made it to the show, Freda. Hope Len is feeling better soon.

anna

First Message

Post by anna » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Well here I go my first message on the Forum. :P and I hope my photo as well. As you know I have enjoyed every minute of Matt's concerts and hope to see him and the boys again very very soon. :D It's a beautiful day here in Edinburgh but very cold. Still the golden Autumn colours are truly beautiful. I live in a very leafy woodland area of Edinburgh called Stockbridge - it's like a village on its own. I'm at home today nursing a very very bad cough :( I'm totally useless being ill - I normally have so much energy and hate it when I havn't got the strength to do much. :x

I do hope all is well with Max - what a horrible thing to happen to him :x

Take Care all my good wishes Anna

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Well the weather may be cold, but a very warm welcome to the forum Anna.
Hope you'll join in regularly. Really nice to see your photo too. :D
Marian.

anna

Thank You

Post by anna » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Thank you so much :D :D :D :D :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:32 pm

Nice to hear from you anna............................and to see you too :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

anna

Photo - Guess where I am

Post by anna » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:32 pm

Forgot to say about my photo - can anyone guess where I am??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Clue: I'm not in Scotland!!! infact I'm closer to the Monro's than here........ :?
With warmest wishes
Anna x

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Is it near the Thames Anna? Maybe where you saw Matt in concert?? :wink:
Marian.

Return to “One Man, One Voice, a Thousand Memories”