What Is The Right Or Proper Tracklisting Of "Matt Monro Live In Araneta Colesieum 1966"

Want to ask Richard Moore something - go for it! He is a veritable walking encyclopedia and is never happier than talking music.
Jumong Singson

What Is The Right Or Proper Tracklisting Of "Matt Monro Live In Araneta Colesieum 1966"

Post by Jumong Singson » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:29 am

I Would To Ask Why You Didn't Make A Copy Of The Cassette Tape (The Second Generation Copy Of The Concert) To Another Tape And Then Experiment it. According To Mint Audio Restoration The First Original 1/4″ Reel tape Was Gone Since It Was Transfered. Also The Hiss Make The Tape Bad

So What's The Right Track List?

Photos:

The Ticket

The Concert With Pilita Corrales in Manila 1983

Matt In Manila 1966

I Believe This is From Other Day Not From January 3 1966 First Night I Believe This is From BBC4 Documentary

All Photos Are Not Mine My Father Have Many Photos Like This But For My Family Only/Private, My Late Father Attend This Concert He Just Story It When I Bought The Yesterday Live Album

ROBERT M.

Re: What Is The Right Or Proper Tracklisting Of "Matt Monro Live In Araneta Colesieum 1966"

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:53 pm

All those smiling happy faces in the bottom photo :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Rmoore

Re: What Is The Right Or Proper Tracklisting Of "Matt Monro Live In Araneta Colesieum 1966"

Post by Rmoore » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:44 pm

The tracks as they appear on the Night Owl release from 1966 are in the exact same order that is on the original tape, which we assume was unedited - Headliners of concerts didn't play for as long as they do now back then so about 30 minutes is right.

Copying to yet another tape would actually make the hiss worse, not improve it.

We don't know the exact origin of the recording, but I believe it was recorded directly from the PA feed. We only know it came from one of Matt's 1/4 inch reel to reel tapes that were lost by EMI after they were copied to cassette. The cassette is 2nd generation in comparison to the reel to reel, but is not majorly different in quality, as it was probably 3 & 3/4 inches per second on a portable tape machine - and perhaps not a good one. Certainly not a professional recording. It's been 13 years since I worked on the recording and the information on my website was written just after i'd completed work, so will be accurate. I could not remove any more hiss from the recording without destroying the sound quality.

Put it this way, what you hear on the Yesterday CD is exactly as it happened, minus a lot of hiss, various microphone handling noises. The only thing added (from what I remember) was some applause, just because it wasn't picked up by any microphones, and so I added some from another concert in places to make it sound more natural.

Jumong Singson

Post by Jumong Singson » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:27 am

Hello, Richard I Ask This Because I Didn't Hear Jokes Of Matt only Music

Stupid Question:
Did you Try Recreate The Concert By Remove The Orchestra Sound And Make The Other Band Performed It? Also Sync The Vocals In The New Sound And Then Recreate The Applause By Technology or Hire? Stupid Question Eh?

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:07 pm

The concert isn't edited, so what you hear is what happened. Perhaps Matt didn't do as much speech in front of an audience where English wasn't the first language.

Not a stupid question at all. Nothing has been replaced here. Everything you hear, in terms of music, is what happened in 1966 with a little bit of EQ to re-balance the sound. All I added was additional applause, as this was not clearly picked up on the recording and sounded like it was a long way away. Adding some back in made it sound more natural. I had to do the same with the 1984 Australian concert.

Return to “Ask Richard”