Matt on Araneta

Want to ask Richard Moore something - go for it! He is a veritable walking encyclopedia and is never happier than talking music.
Jumong Singson

Matt on Araneta

Post by Jumong Singson » Thu May 12, 2022 5:59 am

Hello Richard, I like to ask if there's a recording between these dates, On the website I saw earlier they put all of dates and who performed in the coliseum

Now My question is the archives have these recording from this dates (including Philippine archives)

-Matt Monro – April 17 to 20
-Dave Clark Five – April 22 to 26
-Connie Francis – October (Cancelled)
-Matt Monro – December 29
-Frank Sinatra Jr.
-Trio Los Panchos

-Matt Monro – January 2 (Complete Recording)
-The Everly Brothers – March 4 to 9
-The Beatles (Moved to Rizal Memorial Football Stadium) – July 4
-Peter Asher
-Johnny Mathis
-The Searchers
-Glenn Miller Orchestra
-Peter and Gordon
-The Supremes and Diana Ross
-Xavier Cugat Orchestra

-Matt Monro – September 1969
-Gary Lewis and the Playboys
-Herman’s Hermits
-Jack Jones

When I bought the "Yesterday - The Legendary Manila Concert" CD the performance was recorded in January 2 which was true
Last edited by Jumong Singson on Sun May 15, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rmoore

Re: Matt on Araneta

Post by Rmoore » Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 pm

The only recordings are the January 1966 (The correct date) - The FULL recording of which has been issued as you say - and the 1983 where the nine tracks that are good enough quality to release have been. There is nothing more from Araneta that we are aware of. We have contacted various archives in the Philippines over the years but nobody seems to have anything of Matt - Which is odd seeing how popular he was and still is - But we've found nothing.

Jumong Singson

Post by Jumong Singson » Sun May 15, 2022 9:07 am

Rmoore wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 pm
The only recordings are the January 1966 (The correct date) - The FULL recording of which has been issued as you say - and the 1983 where the nine tracks that are good enough quality to release have been. There is nothing more from Araneta that we are aware of. We have contacted various archives in the Philippines over the years but nobody seems to have anything of Matt - Which is odd seeing how popular he was and still is - But we've found nothing.
But we can see some pictures of Matt in different clothes wearing tux, wearing barong tagalog, Matt with the audience and even a duet with Pilita Corrales.

I don't know why the Philippine archives didn't have Matt in Araneta in December 29, 1965 but how they have Pilita Corrales in the same day? (which I didn't included above)

Btw, I misspelled the April thing it's January 2 not April....sorry 😂

What is full setlist of Matt in April 30, 1983 because you only included 9 tracks on the 'Born Free' 2 CD album (I really like to know that)

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sun May 15, 2022 2:15 pm

I can't tell you the 1983 set list at the moment. I would have to find the raw transfer in my files.

The photo with Pilita Corrales is from 1983. (She sang a duet of 'Feelings' with Matt)

I really don't know the sources of the other photographs or dates - Photographers and archives are not great at recording dates for photographs. Matt performed multiple times at Araneta, often two shows a day. The photos could have come from any appearance or any year. All the photos labelled Araneta in the Estate archive that come from either 65 or 66 are of Matt in black suit and tie. There are some colour pictures from 1983 that partly show Matt in a suit and partly in a white top with a garland of flowers round his neck - Is that the 'barong tagalog' you mention? Looks like he changed during the show. There is one photo with a date It says 2/1/65 (which must of course be 66) with Matt also wearing a white top, but you can see that he has put it on over his dress shirt, so perhaps he changed during the show, or maybe the black suit pictures are April 65. Bad labelling certainly doesn't help. There is one photo that looks like he is a little older than 1966 so could be from 1969, but to be honest there is nothing to prove it's really from Araneta either.

As far as we know, none of the performances were officially recorded. We have no record of any radio broadcasts, or contracts allowing professional recordings to be made. The two shows that do survive come from tape recorders connected to the sound desk. It looks like the tapes were then gifted to Matt. The reel for 1966 no longer exists (lost by EMI in the late 1980's after transfer to cassette), and the 1983 cassette tape has major problems. It repeats sections of the recording, so isn't the original tape - who knows what happened to that, we certainly don't - The recording (and we don't know if this is the fault of the tape it was recorded on, or the copy we have) suffers from being made on a machine with a faulty erase head, so parts of the concert are affected by heavy bass of the previous recording on the tape leaking through. It also has short blank spots in some songs, As a copy of another tape, we have no idea if what is contains is everything from that one performance or is anything is missing, or supposing he did two performances as he often did, if they are from the same performance or a mixture of both.

There is no mystery, what there is out there, is what we have and all details given are all we know.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sun May 15, 2022 4:04 pm

By the way, It is very difficult to research Philippine archives from the UK, If you are interested in having a search to see if anything exists in any of their archives, please feel free to do so - there is a list here:- https://ncca.gov.ph/about-ncca-3/subcom ... -archives/ which is a good start, though how accessible they are to outsiders I don't know.

It admittedly has been 10 years since I last researched that particular area and came up blank, but I suppose something could have appeared now.

Problem is that until 1992 there was no concerted effort to properly archive anything much, so what exists is sporadic. Matt is so popular over there that i'd have expected if something had turned up we would have heard about it, but you never know......

Return to “Ask Richard”