Be My Lady

Want to ask Richard Moore something - go for it! He is a veritable walking encyclopedia and is never happier than talking music.
Wahzy

Be My Lady

Post by Wahzy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I hadn't listened to this song for quite a while until this week. After listening today though I can definitely say it's grown on me. Matt is in such fine voice and hearing him sound pitch perfect (when is he ever off key!) just gives me goosebumps. After reading Matt's Biography I recall it is a traditional Phillipine song translated to English. Matt recorded this and Memory whilst visiting Manila in 1983 I think? I can't remember exactly but didn't he have plans to record a full album as well, though this never materialised unfortunately due to time constraints.

I remember Richard saying before he still to date doesn't have the master tapes for Memory or Be My Lady. Hopefully one day these will surface.

Alex.

Rmoore

Re: Be My Lady

Post by Rmoore » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Not sure about the album idea. Nothing came of these recordings due to a competing version of Be My Lady being released before Matt's. Dyna cancelled the single release as a result and only put it out on "The Very Best of Matt Monro Volume 3"! So I'm not sure there was ever any prospect of an album.

Dyna say they no longer have the tapes (but are very unhelpful) but they have used vinyl dubs themselves which probably means they are telling the truth, nor do any of the EMI archives in that area of the world. There are no tapes for Very Best 3 either. EMI Philippines ceased to exist not long after this release and all the tapes supposedly went to EMI Asia. It was probably at this point that the tapes were either stolen or dumped. I fear it's unlikely that they will ever re-surface.

Eman

Re: Be My Lady

Post by Eman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Agreed with that Richard. Be My Lady was first recorded by Filipino singer Martin Nievera who had a hit with it in 1982 and was on another label Vicor. I don't know how Matt came about the song but it was probably presented to him at one of his concert tours. I remember hearing his version though on the radio, but the Martin Nievera version was the most played. I'm sure the tapes have either been dumped or have been wiped to record something else.

Return to “Ask Richard”