Bridge of Sighs.

Want to ask Richard Moore something - go for it! He is a veritable walking encyclopedia and is never happier than talking music.
Frederick

Bridge of Sighs.

Post by Frederick » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi Richard and all MM fans, The song Bridge of Sighs was in the original movie Go with Matt Monro but never appeared on the rerelease. What ever happened to it ? Thanks, Frederick.
The voice of Matt Monro is part of my life. I take his music with me wherever I go.

ROBERT M.

Re: Bridge of Sighs.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:40 am

Thanks for that info Frederick ........info I didn't know about ..............but Go with Matt is great isn't it ...........Three Coins in the Fountain is awesome :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 am

ROBERT M. wrote:Thanks for that info Frederick ........info I didn't know about ..............but Go with Matt is great isn't it ...........Three Coins in the Fountain is awesome :)
Frederick wrote:Hi Richard and all MM fans, The song Bridge of Sighs was in the original movie Go with Matt Monro but never appeared on the rerelease. What ever happened to it ? Thanks, Frederick.
Was it Matt singing Bridge Of Sighs in the original movie Richard? Yes Robert LOVE Matt singing Three Coins In A Fountain what a pity it was never a CD track?

karl

Post by karl » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Sandra wrote:
ROBERT M. wrote:Thanks for that info Frederick ........info I didn't know about ..............but Go with Matt is great isn't it ...........Three Coins in the Fountain is awesome :)
Frederick wrote:Hi Richard and all MM fans, The song Bridge of Sighs was in the original movie Go with Matt Monro but never appeared on the rerelease. What ever happened to it ? Thanks, Frederick.
Was it Matt singing Bridge Of Sighs in the original movie Richard? Yes Robert LOVE Matt singing Three Coins In A Fountain what a pity it was never a CD track?
I thought almost ALL Matt's tracks were now on cd?

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:39 pm

Not Three Coins I'm afraid...........but is on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_rAi7oiEJI ........Matt looks so young and handsome too :) :)

karl

Post by karl » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:24 pm

I only know that song by Frank Sinatra and always liked it, if Matt's version is not on cd then I won't have it - was it only released on a soundtrack album or also on one of Matt's vinyl LP's? And yes Robert he does look very handsome but then Matt always did, and always very smart in his appearance

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:29 am

The only place the song can be found as far I know is on the DVD the YouTube video is taken from :wink: ..........it would be great for it be on a future CD release :) :)

mike

Post by mike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:05 pm

I saw on iTunes a while back that a lot of the songs from Matt's other DVDs had been released for individual download. They certainly hadn't been remastered, just ripped straight from the DVD audio track. So it is surprising they didn't do that with this DVD.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Three Coins is a great song and a shame it has never been released on CD. There are a few other songs on DVD not released on CD and the only way we could deal with this was to extract the audio on to a CD so that we could play it in the house or car etc.
Matt also sang this song on the tribute to Jule Styne which is also very good.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:15 am

maureen & harry wrote:Three Coins is a great song and a shame it has never been released on CD. There are a few other songs on DVD not released on CD and the only way we could deal with this was to extract the audio on to a CD so that we could play it in the house or car etc.
Matt also sang this song on the tribute to Jule Styne which is also very good.
Hi Maureen and Harry hope you are both well. Yes I remember that tribute to Jule Styne a lovely copy that you kindly sent us x

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:27 pm

As far as I'm aware this was never recorded by Matt and the film on DVD is uncut. I have the soundtrack from the film taken from one of Matt's private tapes and dates way back before the DVD (probably back to the 70's, maybe even earlier) and this matches the released film perfectly.

The Jule Styne clip exists in various versions - none of them brilliant quality. The original program was junked (along with Matt's own TV series from 60/61) when Rediffusion lost it's license in 1967!

Frederick

Post by Frederick » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks Richard, I went to the cinema several times just to see Matt's movie, all those years ago. I can still remember Matt's rendition of Bridge of Sighs, standing on a bridge and wearing a black leather coat. There must be someone out there who remembers it too.
The voice of Matt Monro is part of my life. I take his music with me wherever I go.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:45 am

I've just checked my information - but not the disc yet - and you are correct the song Bridge of Sighs is listed. I will look into this a bit further.

From Odeon Entertainment's original listings:
Music Can’t Be Wrong
Bill Bailey
Come Sta
Bridge of Sighs
A Lot of Living
Three Coins in the Fountain
One More for the Road – Duet with Roy Castle
Reprise Music Can’t Be Wrong
Get Happy – Roy Castle
Teach me Tonight – Marion Montgomery

Track listing from my discography (which i will double check)

Music Can’t Be Wrong
Somewhere
A Lot Of Living
Three Coins In The Fountain
Walk Away
Teach Me Tonight (With Marian Montgomery)
Get Happy (Roy Castle)
Bill Bailey
One More For The Road

I will contact Odeon and see if they know anything. If the listing from the DVD is correct it appears to be missing not just Bridge of Sighs, but Come Sta - and has gained "Somewhere". I wonder if there were two different edits. If Odeon can't help I'll get on to Canal.

I will also check to see if I have the cassette with the soundtrack on - it might be in Michele's archive which can't get to until she's back home - just incase I made an assumption that it was the same (although I seem to remember comparing them - but this was about 10 years ago!)

Thanks Fredrick this is all new information to me.

Frederick

Post by Frederick » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:35 am

Thank you Richard for your detailed reply. I had started to think my memory was playing tricks on me. As a Matt fan for many years, I have every recording I could get my hands on and would love to hear Matt sing this particular song again.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:57 pm

StudioCanal - The rights holder to Go With Matt Monro - are looking into this for me.

Return to “Ask Richard”