Friday 8 October - Friday Night is Music Night

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:19 pm

After nearly a year of discussions I can now reveal that the BBC are laying on a very special tribute night at The Mermaid Theatre in London. Going out live on BBC Radio 2 between 8.00-10.00pm on Friday 8 October, Friday Night is Music Night is to be solely dedicated to the music of Matt Monro.

Although you can go on line and enter a random draw for tickets: http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/show ... matt_monro

I have been able to secure 20 tickets for any fans wanting to come. This will be on a first come basis and you need to email me immediately with your full name and address. This information will be given to the BBC so that they can send your tickets out.

Because of politics I am unable to bring the book on the night or indeed to any form of advertising so unfortunately it will not be possible to hold a special get-together beforehand but I hope to see those of you who come in the foyer or bar during the evening.

As well as the 60 piece BBC Orchestra the line up has been confirmed as follows:

Graham Bickley
Darius Campbell
Ryan Malloy
Stephen Triffitt
Matt Monro Jnr

Conducted by: Richard Balcombe with guest appearance by Colin Keyes
Hosted by: Paul Gambaccini

Michele Monro

Re: Friday 8 October - Friday Night is Music Night

Post by Michele Monro » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Tickets are now sold out for this special event but thank you for all your requests and I look forward to seeing some of you there on the night.

Michele Monro

Re: Friday 8 October - Friday Night is Music Night

Post by Michele Monro » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:46 am

What a fabulous night last night was. My grateful thanks have to go to all the staff, crew, orchestra, artists and of course the audience. The evening was filled with warmth and accolades, and I think dad deserved them all. There is nothing quite like having a 60-piece orchestra playing some of those big hits, in fact the opening medley brought a lump to my throat. I thought Paul Gambaccini did a stellar job, he was the perfect choice for such an event.

My thanks also goes to producer Jodie Keane and her team, the task of bringing BBC Radio 2's Friday Night is Music Night to your living rooms every week is a huge undertaking and one that she carried off effortlessly. Meeting her for the first time after the show, I found her to be a really warm person with a great sense of humour. I feel so chuffed that dad was picked out for such an accolade. I had approached the Beeb last November about doing something special and this was definitely it. Someone mentioned it would have been interesting to know the viewing figures had the programme been aired on television. You never know, maybe that can still come.

Watch this space....

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:15 am

Friday Night is Matt Monro Night – Friday 8th October 2010

Join Radio 2 live from London's Mermaid Theatre for Portrait Of My Love: A Matt Monro Tribute. Matt Monro, the singer's singer, would have been 80 this year. It's also the 50th anniversary of the release of Portrait Of My Love. Darius Campbell, Andrew Halliday, Graham Bickley, Stephen Triffitt and Matt Monro Jnr with Matt Monro's original MD Colin Keyes remind us of the genius of Matt with songs everybody loves - Born Free, Walk Away, Michelle and Softly As I Leave You to name just a few. Richard Balcombe conducts the BBC Concert Orchestra and Paul Gambaccini hosts the show.

Part One

The BBC Concert Orchestra – Friday Night is Music Night (Williams)

The BBC Concert Orchestra – Matt Monro Overture (Various)

Andrew Halliday – We’re Gonna Change the World (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Harris/Matthews)

Darius Campbell – When I Fall in Love (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra (Heyman/Young)

Stephen Triffitt – Softly as I Leave You (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Calabrese/De Vita/Shaper)

Matt Monro Jnr – In the Arms of Love (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Evans/Livingstone/Mancini)

Matt Monro Jnr – For Once in My Life (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Miller/Murdon)

Darius Campbell – Fly Me to the Moon (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Bart)

Andrew Halliday – I Love the Little Things (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Hatch)

Graham Bickley – If I Never Sing Another Song (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Black/Jurgens)

Stephen Triffitt – Gonna Build a Mountain – (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Bricusse/Newley)

Part Two

Graham Bickley – Born Free (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Barry/Black)

Stephen Triffitt – Yesterday (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Lennon/McCartney)

Darius Campbell – If You Go Away (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Brel/McKuen)

Matt Monro Jnr – Portrait of My Love (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(West/Ornadel)

Stephen Triffitt – On Days Like These (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Jones/Black)

Andrew Halliday – My Kind of Girl (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Bricusse)

Graham Bickley – Michelle (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Lennon/McCartney)

Darius Campbell – From Russia With Love (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Bart/Barry)

Andrew Halliday – Walk Away (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Black/Jurgens)

Graham Bickley – The Impossible Dream (Ft. BBC Concert Orchestra)(Darien/Leight)

The BBC Concert Orchestra – Friday Night is Music Night (Williams)

To listen to this wonderful show, click on one of the links below

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tzqr9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 8_10_2010/

Return to “Friday 8 October 2010 - Friday Night is Music Night”