Matt Monro Live in Australia

This extremely rare disc captures Matt's very last live concert in Twin Towns, Australia during the final leg of his world tour on 9 September 1984. Interacting with his audience, this is a wonderful album that conveys the warmth of the man behind the studio voice.
ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:56 pm

Your final word's lori go hand in hand with one of my favourite Matt rendition's.......................The Most Beautiful Sound I Ever Heard............................ from Matt's truly wonderful version of..........................MARIA :D :D :D :D
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

paul and sue

Post by paul and sue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi all, I have just finally got to listen to the whole c.d. without any interuptions and I must say it fantastic, Richard has done a wonderful job in getting the sound up to standard, the highlight for me personally is a clear and crisp uncrackly version of One Voice, until later Paul

john

Post by john » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 am

Yes, Paul and Sue, it is a great concert, Matt sounds fantastic. As Ever! :D

GregT

Re: Matt Monro Live in Australia

Post by GregT » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:14 pm

Sad to think that Matt was so close in 1984..yet I was probably in the UK on holiday at around this time...cruel fate.
What a gem to find in the family shed! Michele discovers buried treasure, and Richard the mixing desk wizard works his magic to produce this wonderful disk.
As most reviewers have noted ,it is great to hear Matt in this intimate session..almost "off the chain" as it were with his chats to the lucky ones in the front seats , and his Sid James-ish cackle . "Not a bloody Lion!!"
As an Aussie, I would like to apologise for the 'slightly off' gentleman in the brass section,even so Matt being the consumate professional, still acknowledges the band..
I'm not jewish, but that version of Hava Nagila is so playful, yet so powerful. Matts falsetto bursts would not be out of place bellowing from a minaret in the middle east somewhere.
His tribute to Sinatra's "Noo Yawk" cracks me up still. Why do people compare Matt to Sinatra.?
They were different , Sinatra was a rough cut diamond...he was ok.
Matt on the other hand was also a diamond, but he was polished to a mirror finish.
Hindisght is a wonderful thing, I'd give my right hand to be at that concert back in '84 with a camcorder, right down the front.
Thinking about that..maybe someone else might have to operate the camera.
Greg
"We should have met, Some years ago"

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Glad your enjoying the disc Greg.

Have your heard the Night Owl Release 'Yesterday - The Legendary Manila Concert' that I worked on at around the same time as Live in Australia? It shows Matt live in the 60's and is very different, but no less enjoyable.

It's such a pity there is so little concert footage surviving, if only somebody had filmed one of his concerts on a Camcorder!

Matt actually filmed a concert in the USA in the early 80's - it was filmed by Philippine state television of all people. Unfortunately the footage has totally disapeared and nobody we know in the Philippines can track it down (rumour even has it that the entire State Television archive was lost in a fire just after the end of Marshall Law but we can't even find out if that's true!) The estate has a VHS copy of the footage but it's unwatchable. Michele and I have searched and searched but to no avail - it's not easy when your in a different country!

If anybody reading this is in the Philippines and might be able to help do let us know!

Richard

GregT

Post by GregT » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Richard,
sorry , I must seem terribly ignorant for not replying sooner, but I'm having a devil of a time navigating my way around this maze.
I am still buying More Matt Material on a weekly basis, so will no doubt eventually catch up with "Yesterday" (is it an Amazon product?).
I am listening to "The Collection" as I type..I guess you had a hand in it.?? Lovely job if you did.
I am feeling a little deserted at the moment, I just discovered on another part of the site that the Australian branch of the Matt Monro Appreciation Society
has long disbanded...I'd love to know why. (Tyranny of Distance aside). Still..I'll "Walk On."..
All the best.
Greg

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:06 pm

The Collection is before my time working with the estate I've worked on everything since 2006.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yesterday-Matt- ... 093&sr=1-1

This is 'Yesterday'

Richard

GregT

Post by GregT » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks Richard,
I'll add it to my list.!
Must be a buzz working at the 'pointy end' of the operation..??

Greg

Return to “Live in Australia”