Matt Monro Live in Australia

This extremely rare disc captures Matt's very last live concert in Twin Towns, Australia during the final leg of his world tour on 9 September 1984. Interacting with his audience, this is a wonderful album that conveys the warmth of the man behind the studio voice.
Administrator
Site Admin

Matt Monro Live in Australia

Post by Administrator » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Released early exclusively for members of this site, Matt Monro Live in Australia is the last concert recorded by Matt on 9th September 1984 at Twin Towns. The concert is in fact the last overseas show that Matt did before his untimely death. There certainly is no evidence in the voice of the illness that would claim his life five months later and one can categorically say he was singing better than ever.

What are your thoughts on the CD, design, photographs and of course the concert?

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:57 pm

I felt extremely proud to be one of the first to listen to this brand new CD "Matt Monro Live in Australia," that arrived this morning. Thank you Michele.
I'm certain it is the next best thing to being there at one of Matt's live concerts, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
I read the sleeve notes first and as always they paint a picture of a man who is so greatly loved and appreciated by his family. Interesting to read about the discovery of this rare concert too.
The photos are great, the CD cover has always been one of my favourites, and the whole look of the CD with the predominance of black and gold speaks volumes of class.
Opening with applause takes the listener straight into the concert hall atmosphere, and is a great introduction to the live show, that includes many moments of humour and laughter, as well as beautiful music of course.
I especially liked the words "Australia's lovelier, the 14th time around"!!
Many anecdotes are similar to others from the earlier concert, but they are still amusing here, and show again the great rapport that Matt shared with his audiences.
It is particularly special to listen to "Where or When" for the very first time, and the whole concert comes across with such clarity.
So thank you once again to Richard, for bringing us such quality sound to enjoy.
As Michele states, her dad is singing as well as he has ever done, and what more is there to say about Matt, you cannot better the very best!

Marian
:D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Nice review to read Marian :) do you put Matt in front of your beloved JJ, Marian ?? or are they both equal :wink:

There has been a few "live" releases from Matt recently "Matt Sings, Nelson Swings".........."Live in Australia"............and "Yesterday-Live In Manila" (when it gets a proper release, that is). Along with "Matt Monro Sings" the double CD release...................but that CD also contains the other "live" concert also from Oz :wink: :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:53 pm

I need to think about that one Robert :? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Marian :D

john

Post by john » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:15 pm

I also received my copy this morning, needless to say I have listened to it as well, Marian. I have to say this, as much as I love the other live performances this has to be my very favourite. Matt's vocals, as always, were perfect and I definitely agree with Michele, he was singing better than ever. Every song is superb, I especially love the medley of I write the Songs, Portrait and Walk Away. I agree with Marian, nice to hear a new song, "Where or When", sung to perfection. This is a "must have" for any Matt fan, or any good music lover anywhere.
The photos were great too, plus Michele had done an excellent job again on the sleeve notes.
Lastly, thanks to Richard Moore on all his work, it sounds fantastic. A top job once again. 8) :D

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:57 pm

Thank - you guys for your kind words.

So glad you think the same as me John, This is definitely the best of all the live recordings.

I think this is due to the fact it wasn't recorded with release in mind. The Riddle was for TV as was the first Australia. The Manila, although another unofficial recording, was Matt's biggest Concert to date so, whilst very good and professional doesn't sound quite as relaxed as this concert.

It was quite evident when I first heard the cassette (probably recorded by the engineer as a keepsake for Matt) that it was a magical recording. Matt was relaxed and jokey which makes it much more fun to listen to.

I shall have to give it another listen now - I got a bit too close. The recording was good quality but being an informal recording took every trick at my disposal to get it to sound good enough to release. The performance was good but the sound was flat & lifeless. After the hundredth time listening though you start to lose perspective concentrating on the sound, not the performance.

I also look forward to seeing the finished product - EMI haven't sent me mine yet!

Speaking as someone who has just listened to every track Matt ever released (and many he didn't) this stands with some of his best work.

Whilst I am biased here, I have to say, If you are a Monro Fan (which you must be if your reading this!) I'd get your hands on a copy ASAP.

Richard

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:21 am

I totally agree that this is the best live performance we have, and the fact that Matt is really relaxed and enjoying himself really comes across. :D
Marian :wink:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:42 pm

We have only just had the chance to listen to the CD " Live In Australia" which also came yesterday. Thanks Michele. :lol:
This is another real treasure and once again we both enjoyed listening to the Master Of His Craft singing the songs that only Matt knows how. The photos on the front and back of the CD are perfectly fitting for any of Matt's work, and complete with liner notes that are informative of Matt's artistry, something that we always regard as essential.
There is nothing quite like hearing a Live Concert and the breathtaking opening number "One Voice " is the beginning of an exceptional selection of Matts standard numbers and "Where Or When" is among one of our all time favourite songs. The music accompanying "Georgia On My Mind "is outstanding, but only a quality singer such as Matt would or could sing with top musicians such as Billy May, Nelson Riddle. Legrand etc. The jokes are typical of Matt's humour, One or Two many will recall :lol: :lol:
It's hard to imaging that this concert originated from a cassette and again the painstaking work with the technical sound and getting the correct balance resulted in another excellent addition to our collection.
Great and well done. Thank you Richard and Michele. :lol: :lol:

Michele Monro

Message from Ian Trevelyan

Post by Michele Monro » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:53 pm

I received the CD yesterday and played it in my car on my way to work this morning. It is wonderful! I am blown away at the sound quality from what was (in essence) a "boot leg" cassette recording. Good job! (who ever engineered it). And a big thank you to you and your family for sharing this gem with us all. Matt was very much on top of his game in this concert.

One of my regrets is that I was living in London at the time he did his last concert at the Barbican and I debated going to see him. I was strapped for cash at the time and said to myself "next time..." He had rave reviews and I missed my last chance to see him! At least with this recording, I have salvaged some of what I lost back then.

Please feel free to post my email on the Forum. I'm only too happy for my comments to appear. This CD deserves to do well - I hope it sells heavily. The good thing is it can bring a whole new generation to Matt's musical genius. In my opinion, he was the best popular singer our country has ever produced (I'm dual national now and I style myself as "English American", but still class myself as English).

Ian Trevelyan
Last edited by Michele Monro on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michele Monro

Message from Clive Fuller

Post by Michele Monro » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:57 pm

I will be doing a review for "In Tune" and will certainly let you have a copy for the website. Actually, I've listened to the CD again this afternoon and the sound is quite remarkable so I'll mention Richard Moore's work too. I like the medley very much and the chat adds so much to the concert atmosphere. I do hope the CD does well. I'm thinking of putting it onto my Top 10 CDs of 2008 (which the reviewers all submit) but I have to decide which other CD to remove first!
Will keep you informed.

Many thanks for confirming the MD as it's nice to add that sort of thing to the review. All the best.

Clive Fuller

Michele Monro

Message from Clive Fuller

Post by Michele Monro » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Here is the text for the review of the new CD and I have confirmed that this will be in the January 2009 edition. There is also a website for the magazine at  http://www.gnudawn2.talktalk.net/intune/current.html

Also, My Top 10 CDs of 2008. The list isn't in any order they are just 10 of the best! This should also appear in the January issue.

All good wishes

Clive

Matt Monro, Live in AustraliaEMI Gold 50999 236419 21

One Voice/ The Second Time Around/ I Write the Songs/Portrait of My Love/Walk Away/I Write the Songs/ Georgia On My Mind/ Gonna Build A Mountain/ From Russia With Love/ The Impossible Dream/ Hava Nagila/ New York New York/ Birth Of The Blues/ Born Free/ Where Or When/ Softly As I Leave You.

This new CD captures a live performance from 1984 when Matt Monro was once again touring Australia. His 14th tour of the country and the final night of the tour was a great success. There is always a bit of a worry when you compare a live show with a studio session where it is possible to retake for whatever reason to achieve the right result. However, in this case there are no such concerns as from the opening song clarity and atmosphere makes it a super performance. Matt always tailored the words for his venue and it was touching to hear references to Australia in “The Second Time Around”. It is also an opportunity to listen into the comedy and banter between Matt and the audience and orchestra.
As far as highlights go and there are many I will have to single out track 3, a medley of I Write the Songs/ Portrait of My Love/ Walk Away/ I Write the Songs. Then you have to choose between the powerful The Impossible Dream and standard Where or When, I think it is a draw. Could Matt have ever completed a concert without singing either of these classics From Russia with Love or Born Free. There really is so much that justifies the phrase “A Singers Singer” and in the case of Matt Monro it was well deserved. Musical director Peter Warren can be heard on piano solos and it is a swinging tour band. Liner notes are by Michele Monro and we get the story of how this recording first came to light. Richard Moore was sound engineer on the project and has achieved remarkable results.
The running time is just under 60 minutes and this is an excellent addition to the Matt Monro CD titles currently available. A bargain at around £6.99 plus postage.Clive Fuller“In Tune Magazine”

Top Ten CD releases 2008 - By Clive Fuller In Tune Magazine

Gary Williams, Swingin on Broadway, BOS 6816

The Best of Doris Day (2CD) NOT2CD266

Chris Hutchinson, Easy Going Me, Flashlight FLLT003

Matt Monro, Live in Australia, EMI Gold 50999 236419 21

Matt Monro, Yesterday, NOMCD 102

Frank Sinatra; Let

Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks: The Original Cole Porter And Rodgers & Hart Songbooks (3CD) NOTCD0017

Jack Simpson and His Sextet-Jack

The Essence Of Tommy Dorsey, 2CD, 33327

Marches in Swingtime, CDMOIR 594’s be Frank, Performance 38279’s the Boy for Work, SUN 2176. 

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 pm

2 CDs in the top ten albums for 2008 - Brilliant! :D :D
Great review too.
Marian.
:D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:48 am

Nice to see the Two CDs placed in Clive's Top Ten albums.
Well deserved too. :lol: :lol:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Have just seen a mention of Matt's CD "Yesterday" and a nice review from Russell Newmark of Matt's "Live In Australia" in our latest issue of The Beat magazine..........they both resound with the sheer class of his apparently effortless masterly singing- his characteristic delivery and genius for phrasing supported by richly appropriate orchestrations.
His smooth confidence and easy charm are also reflected in the funny-between-song chat which recalls a clear personal rapport with his fans
Russell went on to mention the featured songs sung before the 24,000 people in Manila and he said that it would be interesting to know exactly what was the audience interaction that led to Matt's genial laughter during the last named song.
Neil Diamond's songs were mentioned then he went on to say that on a seperate release, some studio preservation endeavour has helped retain the special atmosphere which was captured on the tape of a show from September 1984 Here there's even more in the way of Matt' engaging patter and jokes-punctuating songs greeted as always by the applause of fond recognition.
It would turn out to be his last overseas appearanc, as sadly he passed away just Five months later.
The songs were listed and the review accompanied by the "Live in Australia" CD cover advert. :)

lori

Seeing Matt in person

Post by lori » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:40 am

Seeing Matt in Australia (AnEvening With Matt Monro) and also Portrait Of Matt Monro.... well, loved both so much... He is a truly wonderful entertainer.. with every facet of show business. I guess what was the wonderful part, is that he was having such a good time himself...So natural and the voice ... Most Beautiful Sound I Have Ever Heard !!

Return to “Live in Australia”