From Matt, With Love

Matt's very first dedicated Valentine's Day release includes all the favourites you'd expect including Be My Lady, Till the End of Time, Days of Wine and Roses and Exodus
mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:17 am

Sometimes, Robert, it is good to be proved wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:31 am

I obviously wanted the CD to do very well Marian, but I was just afraid that the success of "The Ultimate" would have taken the shine off the sales for "From Matt With Love" :wink: :wink:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:01 pm

Of course you want the CD to do well Robert. :) we all do, and to give your thoughts and views about it is what the forum is for. Even if you're wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: ( only joking Robert). :lol: :lol:

Frederick

Post by Frederick » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi Michele, you asked for comment on the new CD so here's my tuppence worth. The sleeve notes were beautiful and you really excelled yourself especially in the first few paragraphs. Superb art work and a great selection of songs, particularly Historia de Amor which is one of the few Matt tracks in Spanish which I do not already have on vinyl. If I may offer one small expression of critique, it would be the inclusion of the last track Music to watch.. Following on from My Kind of Girl, I think a big ballad would have given better balance. The Precious Moments would have been a great finale. Best wishes to everyone, Frederick.
The voice of Matt Monro is part of my life. I take his music with me wherever I go.

Administrator
Site Admin

The Precious Moments

Post by Administrator » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Don't worry Frederick, the Precious Moments is to be included on "Matt at the Movies" due out on 8th October.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri May 22, 2009 11:48 pm

paul jh wrote:Thanks for the report John. I would have expected a first week sales price of £9.95 from HMV and Virgin. I've never heard of Morrisons. Is it a grocery store like Tesco and Sainsbugs or a variety store like Woolworths?
Well, I finally accomplished two things:

1. Visiting a Morrisons -- in Droitwich of all places. :) Never even heard of this town, but during a recent visit to Worcester, folks told me to visit this charming town. I did love the town -- especially watching all the senior citizens at the library on a Saturday morning. However, I much prefer Sainsbury's and Waitrose over Morrisons. :wink:

2. Purchasing From Matt With Love -- It was only 3 pounds at the HMV on Oxford Street (across from the original HMV). I am loving this collection. Firstly, the songs flow beautifully. It almost seems as though the keys are the same (or related) between each song. And no lovely ballad is followed by a bombastic swing intro (which appears on some other compilations). This bothers me greatly on one compilation that I can't recall right now. I absolutely adore Once In Every Long and Lonely While. This will definitely make my top 20 Matt Monro songs. :D :?: Where did this song come from? The copyright says 1964. It almost sounds like an aria or an Italian popular song. He sings it so well.

jon

Post by jon » Tue May 26, 2009 8:25 am

Hi Paul

I agee "Once in Every Long and Lonely While" is a gem. Never heard it before or been aware of it other than Matt's version. Perhaps other forumites know more.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Worcester. It is one of the so-called three Cathedral Cities, the others being Hereford and Gloucester, and they are famous in England for the Three Choirs Festival, which is held alternately at each of them, the 2008 festival having been held in Worcester. The festival is associated with the careers of both Edward Elgar and Vaughan Williams. Worcester Cathedral itself contains many interesting features, not least of these being the tombs of both King John (he of Magna Carta fame) and Prince Arthur, the elder brother of Henry VIII.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed May 27, 2009 12:39 am

The guides at Worcester Cathedral told me about those people being buried there. But I was more interested in the Dream of Gerontius stained glass window (and tribute to Elgar). I went to an evensong there with a choir from a local college.

I didn't know there were three "cathedral cities". I've been to Gloucester, so I still need to go to Hereford. My best discovery this trip was Great Malvern. I love those English spa towns and I definitely want to visit the Great Malvern and the Malvern Hills again.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed May 27, 2009 10:14 pm

I am of course biased, but you must visit Hereford Paul, the Cathedral is beautiful and the acoustics when the choir sing are sublime.

Try and visit when the Cathedral choir are singing rather than a visiting choir their sound is out of this world.

Oh how I miss singing with them!

Richard

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed May 27, 2009 11:13 pm

When I was still at school we visited Hereford, I believe it was to visit the 'chained library' which were ancient inscribed books beautifully hand painted by monks.
Lots to see and hear in Hereford Paul.
Marian :D

paul jh

Re: From Matt, With Love

Post by paul jh » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:07 am

I'm trying to listen to all my many Matt Monro collections this year. I often listen to just a few repeatedly. On Valentine's week, I listened to From Matt with Love. This is such a nice collection and has many of my favourites. I also need to re-read all the liner notes.

I still haven't listened to all of disc 5 of the Complete Singles as the other four are so good!

ROBERT M.

Re: From Matt, With Love

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:02 pm

:) :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Return to “From Matt with Love”