Matt Monro Sings

The first collaboration with Not Now Music this two disc set includes all 18 of the tracks Matt recorded for Decca as well as an audio version of the Australian concert from the DVD An Evening with Matt Monro
Marian

Matt Monro Sings

Post by Marian » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:15 pm

I did this little review of my thoughts on the new discs awhile back but somehow manged to post it in the wrong place.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:03 am
I enjoyed listening to these two Cds when they arrived yesterday. It's nice to have the extra tracks from the Decca singles which makes it different from "Matt Monro" the original Decca recordings, released last year.
The Australian concert is lovely to have on CD too, it somehow seemed "closer" (I'm struggling for the right word here) maybe more intimate, than watching the DVD. There also seemed to be more content on the CD than on the DVD, but I might be mistaken. Maybe you hear more, when you just listen.
I also love the "little records" appearance of the actual CDs and the new photos of Matt included in the accompanying booklet.
Some of Jack Jones's recent re-issues from Japan have been presented as complete mini copies of his albums, including the artwork and the covers. Very neat.
Marian. :D

john

Post by john » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:21 pm

I think I followed your footsteps Marian, and put a small review in the wrong section.
Another great selection, nice to have the decca album and singles in super quality, without the odd scratch of my vinyl. My favourite tracks are "Everybody Falls In Love With Someone", "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" and "Memories of You".
I love the cd of the 1967 Melbourne concert, nice just to be able to listen to it in the car for instance.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:04 pm

I am still waiting for mine--but HMV have assured me it is on the way !!
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:42 pm

Yes Marian, I'm still waiting for mine, but I received an email today to say it is on it's way :D :D about time too :roll: I know the CD was late being released, but play.com and amazon seem to have had it available for a couple of week's now :!: :!:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Gray

Post by Gray » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:32 am

I also received the e-mail from HMV to say my copy is one the way! :)

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Well, this is what happens when we drift from other subjects :roll: :lol: but this Double CD is another gem to add to our collection.
As always a superb write up on the liner notes of Matt's career and nice to see One or Two pictures that we hadn't seen before.
We can't believe the amazing improvement on the Decca tracks, with these great oldie numbers sung by Matt, brought to life with perfection.
Nice ballads on this disk, "A Cottage For Sale," "Do You Ever Think Of Me," Once In A While, "I Cried For You, " but the accompanying piano on "Memories Of You, " makes this track our favourite.
The audio copy of the Australian concert which will always be regarded as extra special is great to have on disk, with all of Matt's own classics, and a few more on this disk that we like, songs that Matt definitely made his own. "As Long As Im Singing " "In The Arms Of Love" and " What To Do"..
A superb inexpensive package. :lol: :lol:
We are waiting for HMV to deliver "That Old Feeling " another bargain . :lol: :lol:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:13 pm

But arn't all the songs on That Old Feeling, the same songs that are on Matt Monro Sings :?:

Gray

Post by Gray » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Hello Everyone

My copy of Matt Monro Sings arrived today and I beamed with a huge smile when i saw the printed compact discs resemble vinyl records! :)

The picture in the sleeve notes of a young Matt gazing at sheet music whilst sitting down is a fantastic image for me.

I listened to the 'Live' disc first and as Michele explained in the sleeve notes, it became so apparent that Matt is note perfect.
I have seen the concert many times on dvd, but listening closely to this audio cd it was brought home to me (once again) how wonderful the art of singing can be when we are in the company of Matt Monro.

john

Post by john » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Glad you received it at last, Gray, I also played the "live" disc first, great as always!

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 pm

I received my copy today too, but it is still in it's wrapper, but it looks so COOL 8) 8) :D :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:13 am

The secret is Robert you have to undo it to play it. :wink: :wink:

Oh and yes, they are the same Decca songs on "That Old Feeling" CD, and ...what dya think Robert... only £2,99 :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:52 am

Mine arrived yesterday--not had chance yet to even look at it....
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:47 am

L&H, mine play's alright with the wrapper ON........................................ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gray

Post by Gray » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:59 am

Sorry guys, but there must be some confusion, I had no idea this was a rap album. :oops:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:06 am

Ah bubble rap, now that's cool Gray, :wink: and Robert, perhaps we can understand how patient and hesitant you are in opening up your treasure.
We are all waiting with abated breath to see who will receive one with an unbroken case. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Matt Monro Sings”