Words: I'll Dream of You and a Hong Kong #1

4 CDs featuring The Hoagy Carmichael Sessions (including previously unreleased out-takes) together with an abridged reading of Matt's biography 'The Singer's Singer - The Life and Music of Matt Monro'
paul jh

Words: I'll Dream of You and a Hong Kong #1

Post by paul jh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 pm

In disc 2 of "Words", Michele mentions I'll Dream of You being #1 in the Philippines. I'm not familiar with this song. Was it popular anywhere else? Also she mentions a song being #1 in Hong Kong around this time, but I didn't get the song title. Anyone know this song?

I found it so interesting to hear about the time when he had four songs in the top 10 at one time. (Let's see Lady Gaga try to match that!) And it was cool when he had the top two songs in Jamaica. All this chart data interests me immensely. One tends to forget just how popular he was throughout the world.

ROBERT M.

Re: Words: I'll Dream of You and a Hong Kong #1

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Have you read The Singers Singer yet Jeff ? .......................I have got past four hundred pages now :) so much information to take in.............I think I'll Dream of You is on the Manilla concert I was listening to last night, very nice it is too :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:37 pm

I haven't read one word yet. I'm afraid if I start, I won't be able to put it down and I really need to be doing other things in my free time. So I'm saving it for retirement and listening to "Words" now while I drive to work.

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:16 am

I couldn't stop laughing when i read you were saving it until you retire Paul - what year will that be?

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I was going to suggest Paul could read it on the flight over to Uk--but I guess it could be too heavy---he might have had to leave it here, to make room for all the other goodies he will be taking back to USA !!
Mariana

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Michele -- I'm hoping to be able to retire in 2013 -- if everything goes as planned. So that's not too far off :)

:?: What about the return flight, Marian? I will have the newly purchased paperback book of The Singer's Singer with me!

But I'll probably still wait for retirement as the book will consume so much thought. I learned so much from listening to "Words"; some things I'll never forget, e.g., a bit disappointed that Matt Monro didn't think anything on The Other Side of the Stars was hit material ... perhaps some of the tracks aren't perfect, but I love For All We Know, Let Me Sing and I'm Happy, I Love You Because, and You're Sensational; and the stories of Mr and Mrs Spence are just lovely. She seems like a beautiful person. And we all know that Johnnie Spence is the greatest arranger of all time.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Maybe Mr Riddle and Mr Faith may have something to say about that Jeff :wink: :)

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:29 am

...and let's not forget Mr May, Mr Feller, Mr Baxter, Mr Bregman, Mr Martin, Mr Miller, Mr Jones, Mr Conniff, Ms Morley, Mr Mancini, and Mr DeVol ... just to name a few other superb musical arrangers. :)

All I can say is listen to the Johnnie Spence arrangement of Matt Monro's Fly Me To The Moon or his arrangement of Dusty Springfield's The Look Of Love. How can one not be convinced that he is the best musical arranger of all time.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:06 pm

We know he is Jeff, but most Brits or Yanks would not know :wink:

Return to “Words and Music”