Words and Music New CD set

4 CDs featuring The Hoagy Carmichael Sessions (including previously unreleased out-takes) together with an abridged reading of Matt's biography 'The Singer's Singer - The Life and Music of Matt Monro'
ROBERT M.

Re: Words and Music New CD set

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:22 am

You know how these young kids have modern music blaring our from their cars, such a pain in the backside :roll: ...........well a couple of days ago I heard a Royal Mail van which had music blaring out too...............but the music was Softly As I Leave You by Matt 8) ....................now, if only all the other music blaring out of vehicles was Matt, or easy listening music :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 am

I agree on both points Robert!
Where did you buy your Words and Music from? Mine was in nice sturdy
cardboard, but then it was from Amazon. :D
I've just started listening to Michele's readings...cleverly edited so far, Matt is just about to meet Mickie for the first time. :D

Must tell you a strange thing, events have moved along a little swiftly in Matt and Mickie's life and as Michele was announcing her own birth on April 2 I just happened to click onto the website and Matt's voice joined hers, naturally singing "Born Free"!! :lol:
Last edited by Marian on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

Post by Josh » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:37 pm

I'm just off out to see if I can grab a copy!

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Hope you're successful Josh! :D

Josh

Post by Josh » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Sucess Marian! Bargin too was only a tenner :D time to wallow in some NEW! Monro greatness :D

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:39 pm

That's great Josh. Good to hear the shops are stocking it as well as the on line outlets. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :D

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:27 pm

The CD arrived yesterday. We wanted to give HMV our support so ordered it from them in view of their current difficulties.

The price was only £5.99 including postage which was a great price and the presentation of the CD was superb. However, we agree with Robert that it would have been better if HMV had posted it in cardboard instead of the grey plastic wrapper.

We are going to sit and listen tonight. :D :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:55 am

HMV were late delivering the CD, but they did use 1st class postage :) ...................I hope they go back to the cardboard boxes.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 pm

There is now a new heading on the Forum for all your comments on the new album 'Words and Music. Don't be shy about saying how it is.

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Well having rushed to HMV on sunday hoping to find a copy I've now had a chance to listen in more detail to the discs.

Upon walking into to HMV needless to say I went straight to the MM section praying their would be a copy and luckily there was! I snatched it up immediatley in fear someone else may have got to it if I'd had a quick browse before.

The cover of the set features a photo we're all farmillar with, showing Matt in his element, microphone in hand, pure class as per usual. The red and black contrast well, mimicing the look of the book, clearly a deliberate thing. Hopefully the audio version will encourage others to seek out a hard copy for their book shelves!

Again the Monro fans are treated to some great linear notes which I just love. Just the right mix of technical detail and reflection on the project to whet our apetite to hear the discs! Michele really is a great writer but I don't need to tell you lot that!

Now the discs themselves, I can't say I've ever heard the Hoagy Carmichael album in it's entirety before this release so I was reallllllly excited to get it. Previously I'd only heard the tracks that have been issued ion compilations over the years so I was hearing some of these tracks for the very first time definatley a thrilling a thing.

The musicanship as always is excellent, I can hear why many rate this as Matt's finest hour, the arrangements are gorgeous and Matt's vocals are truly stunning, a collection of essential performances. The bonus tracks offer some great variety with some of the songs being presented in a different way e.g The Nearness of You with a simple piano accompaniment or alternate takes such as Skylark. We're even given a new version of Lazy River; this time in the form of a duet and also included is a rather funny outtake during the recording of By The Way hearing Matt fluffs his lines reminds us not only was he just a human being with extraordinary talent but also makes us feel as if we the listner are right there at the session.

Richard Moore, which has now fortunatley become standard on the MM releases, has outdone himself yet again in restoring and remastering these tracks. He is a big part of why these recordings sound as perfect and exquiste as they do. So thank you once again Richard for all your hard work on the Monro catalogue, you spoil us fans with your talents!

Moving on to the "Words" section of this release, those wise enough to purchase this landmark release will be treated to an audio (albeit abridged) version of Michele's incredible book "The Singer's Singer". There's no need for me to go into details on the text as I'm sure you've all read it by now and know how great it is (if you haven't stop reading this and go gget a copy now!) what's great about the addition of the audio book is that it's written by the great lady herself: Michele Monro. What more could you want? THE book on Matt Monro on THE authority on Matt Monro. Just perfect. Michele reads the book perfectly with the words clear and crisp. Again another sucess for the greatest book published last year (has it really been that long already!?)

Overall another outstanding effort from the Monro team which finally sees the release of one of Matt's essential original albums. It seems I'm getting my wish in seeing all of Matt's original studio albums being issued. I look forward to more!

Once again huge thanks and praise must be lavished on Michele Monro and Richard Moore who must work ridiculous hours to bring us the fans such great releases with the highest quality production values so once again, from a simple fan, I THANK YOU!

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:00 pm

Finally received our CD on Friday so managed to listen to it over the weekend.
Great packaging.A lovely picture on the front.A great idea to put a copy of the original sleeve inside.Fascinating informative booklet from Richard and Michele,plus a showing of the Terry Parsons disc label.
The CD is sublime.We found it quite emotional listening to the entire L.P.again.
We used to play it all the time during a sad part of our lives.
But the quality now is 'WOW'.Thank you Richard you have weaved your magic again.
'Lazy River' is a treat in itself and as for 'By The Way' we LOVE it laugh and all!!

We have just started listening to Micheles abridged version of the book and wonder at her dedication.It must have been SUCH hard work to do this while remaining so clear throughout and keeping true to the story.

Does anyone know yet how long the 3 spoken CDs are?

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:11 pm

We totally agree with everything that Josh and Sandra have written.

A fantastic addition to our collection and our thanks too to Michele and Richard for bringing this to us. :D :D

The times for the 3 spoken CDs are:
Disc 2 78mins 12 secs
Disc 3 75mins 11 secs
Disc 4 75mins 56 secs

Marian

Post by Marian » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Josh, you should consider putting your excellent review on Amazon and HMV.
I'm sure it will encourage others to buy the CDs, and you don't have to have bought yours there to leave a review. :D

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Review has just benn published Marian.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 am

Yes, well done to Josh and everybody elses comments here that sum up exactly how we all feel about this latest Matt Monro package.
How can we possibly select our favourite from all this merchandise that has recently been, and still being unearthed.
We have listened to the first disk of Micheles story, and can't praise her commitment enough and the Hoagy Carmichael CD is excellent from beginning to end, beautiful music and superb sound.
Matt was worthy and deserved the best musicians and this CD brings out those rare and outstanding qualities that is incomparable.
Thank you Michele and to Richard for all the time and skilful knowledge and patience that made this treasure a must have gem. :)

Return to “Words and Music”