Alternate Takes -- which do you prefer?

4 CDs featuring The Hoagy Carmichael Sessions (including previously unreleased out-takes) together with an abridged reading of Matt's biography 'The Singer's Singer - The Life and Music of Matt Monro'
paul jh

Alternate Takes -- which do you prefer?

Post by paul jh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 am

I would love an entire album of alternate takes. Of the two on Words and Music, do you prefer the released version or the alternate, or love both? (I'm not including The Nearness of You as it's a different arrangement and recorded earlier I believe ... still haven't had time to read the liner notes. I do like the early version.)

Of course, I love both, but that alternate version of Skylark has something special that the released version doesn't have. I can't put my finger on it; perhaps it's just that I know it's an alternate version, but it sounds more lovely than the other.

I prefer the released version of I Get Along Without You Very Well, because I love all of its nuances. Having said that, I'm getting used to all the different things he added to the alternate take (and I'm already singing along to them). Just brilliant musicianship on both takes. He really surprised me when he sang the title high towards the end, but as I said, I'm getting used to it.

More alternate takes please ... how about a huge box set?

john

Re: Alternate Takes -- which do you prefer?

Post by john » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 am

It would be nice to have an album of alternative takes Paul. I agree. :)

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:11 pm

I'll look into it., it's certainly a good idea. The schedule at the moment is 'The Singer's Singer in September and The Rarer Monro next Spring. Richard is also pushing to do the New York Sessions - we are spoilt for choice.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:44 pm

It's always possible the odd other Alternate take may make it on to Rarer Monro

We'd all like to put together a Complete Huge box set, but it would cost hundreds of pounds to buy, so would have a limited market let alone the cost of putting it together!

We will have to see what possiblities there are for alternates - A lot of session tapes are now gone. The early Mono & direct to Stereo are largely still there (but not all!) and from 1962 until 1968 most session UK tapes have gone. In the USA alternate takes as a rule weren't kept. All multitracks of masters were edited together into master reels, but there are hardly any alternates left. So choices may be limited

But i'll have to look into it some more.

What song's would you like to hear alternates takes of?

Let me know and i'll tell you which are possible!

Richard

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:22 pm

I'd love to hear more alternate takes, I find them interesting it shows Matt's musicanship, changing the way he sang a line here, a word there. It provides an insight into how he made his music which I find really fascinating seeing how he arrived at the originally issued version.

Personally Richard I'd like to hear alternate takes of his hits songs like My Kind of Girl, Walk Away etc however there are tons of songs I've really grown to adore on the Complete Singles that I'd love to hear different versions of. I'd be grateful for any alternates though, it's a real thrill to hear them, heck to hear anything by Matt is a real thrill!

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:10 pm

No alternates left for My Kind of Girl or Walk Away i'm afraid. There are alternates of When Love Comes Along and I Love You Too on Rare Monro and an alternate of One Day on More Hearbreakers/Complete Heartbreakers.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:42 pm

I'd be interested in any alternate takes except for those very early recordings. It's too bad none exist for Walk Away or My Kind of Girl.

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm not surprised to be honest Richard ah well. The Rare Monro more than provides enough Monro treats!

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm

No worries about early alternates - Nothing at all left at Decca or Fontana.

Only alternate before Parlophone and that is a alternate (of all things) "Strange Lady In Town"

GregT

Post by GregT » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 am

Its ALL manna from heaven,Richard.!
"We should have met, Some years ago"

Return to “Words and Music”