The Aftermath

The event of 2011. Are you coming? Come and share your thoughts.
paul jh

Re: The Aftermath

Post by paul jh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:44 pm

I'll post more later. But I want to mention that Pete Conway was in fact at the paperback book launch. He had a natty black and white striped jacket: I want to get one! Mark Porter introduced me to him as I could never approach him; thanks Mark! I got to tell him how much his son's music means to me and that I play it in Washington and people love it, that Feel is my all-time favourite song (he also said it was a great song), Something Beautiful was my #2 of the last decade, and that his latest album is the best of this decade. He also said Robbie has a new album out next year; good ... I prefer his solo albums rather than with Take That. Robbie has his mannerisms totally. He invited me to the launch of his son's new clothing line at House of Fraser on Thursday, but I had my return flight to catch. It was very thrilling to meet him. Robbie's music (and especially the songs he wrote with Guy Chambers) are the best written of the past 15 years.

mark porter

Post by mark porter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Pete Conway was there until kicking out time!

john

Post by john » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:51 pm

I am in agreement with everyone else, I had the most wonderful time and it was indeed a day to remember, well, two really, because my celebrations started on Tuesday along with Lena, Harry, Marian, Paul and Rob. Really enjoyed our Fish and Chip supper and our trip through some of the sights of London with Harry. What he doesn't know about London isn't worth knowing. :D

Fans Reunited on Wednesday afternoon was most enjoyable again, lovely to see Marian and Peter again, and Sandra and John and to meet some new faces, although sadly didn't get chance to meet everyone. We were treated to some wonderful clips of very rare TV appearances of Matt's, Richard gave us an insight into all the marvellous work he has done remastering Matt's music, and Michele's commentary throughout the afternoon was perfect. I am still kicking myself over a couple of questions we got wrong in the quiz, and even I couldn't begin to guess the very scrambled version on "Ten out of Ten" at the end. :lol: :oops: :lol: To finish the afternoon off we watched some very rare footage, a real treat, something we have wanted to see for such a long time, it was well worth the wait.

After the buffet we went over to EMI for the Book & CD Launch, this was indeed the highlight of the day. To be in the same room with people like Sir George Martin, Buddy Greco, the lovely Virginia McKenna and June Marlow was amazing. Anita Harris is a lovely lady, always a smile on her face, and she made such a nice speech about Matt. Very nice to see Gerard Kenny who did a fine job singing a medley of some of Matt's songs, Matt Jnr of course sang for us all. Esther Rantzen was there too, Eric Hall, Kenny Lynch, Lynsey De Paul, Mike Winters, Denis Lotis...so many famous names. We all had plenty of opportunities to take photos and everyone was so nice and gracious.

Thanks again Michele, Richard and everyone else for making it such a special day. :D

karl

Post by karl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:17 pm

I am so pleased you all had such a great time and I'm feeling just a tad envious oh alright then a huge big tad!!!! :lol:

It's great reading about it and everyone has their own slant on the event, must have been wonderful to have been in the EMI building where so many wonderful songs have been recorded.

It must have been some undertaking Michele?

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:25 pm

Bruce's message is on the site under the heading Tribute to Matt

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:54 pm

The day was simply fantastic. I still keep thinking of the day's events. I'll try to mention some things that weren't mentioned above.

At Fans Reunited, I could have sat and watched the clips and listen to the rare audios all day long. I loved all the technical presentations from Richard Moore. I particularly enjoyed the song with just piano accompaniment. I wrote down the song's title, but it escapes me now. Richard assures me it will be on The Rarer Matt Monro due in 2012.

Special thanks to Sue Parker for sending a video clip of Matt singing Too Close for Comfort, from one of my favourite musicals Mr Wonderful. We missed you Sue and all our thoughts are with you and we hope you are feeling better soon.

I was captivated by the special footage with my favourite parts seeing the full family and Sammy Davis Jnr. His humour was always like that. I wanted to see him so much in concert, but never had the opportunity. I also liked when the host mentioned that Matt's biggest hit was Portrait of My Love and Matt Monro reflectingly said that this was his favourite song.

I must mention the excellent service of the waiters and bar staff at both the Thai restaurant and at EMI. Everyone was well presented and efficient.

The photographers at EMI were outstanding and very unobtrusive. When I was getting my books signed by Michele, the photographer swarmed around us like a Hollywood premiere. Perhaps they thought I was a celebrity! But I have to admit, I liked the sounds of the flashbulbs.

Steve Woof gave such a gracious welcome to the "EMI canteen". It was a lovely space and we were all excited to be at the EMI headquarters; I wish I had gotten a photo of the entrance at night as it's very cool. Steve has done so much for the Matt Monro releases so all of our thanks go to him and his crew and of course, Michele and Richard.

The lady from Titan Books also gave a nice speech. I don't recall her name.

It was absolutely wonderful to go to a function and hear Matt Monro music played non-stop. When I arrived they were playing You're Sensational. I just stood at the speaker listening to this beautiful song and sipping my white wine. It was followed by The Shadow of Your Smile, so I stayed at the speaker. I wish every function or party would play continuous Matt Monro music.

Michele gave lovely and informative talks at both Fans Reunited and the Paperback Book launch.

It was fabulous to meet Pete Conway, Buddy Greco, Eric Hall, June Marlow and especially wonderful to spend so much time with my fellow forum members and Michele, Max, and Justine.

It was simply one of the best days of my life!

valerie

Fans Reunited

Post by valerie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:11 am

Just wanted to say what a great day. It was the first 'Fans Reunited' I had been to but hopefully not the last and the creme-de la-creme, was of course the very good night at E.M.I. You did your Mum and Dad proud along with Matt Jnr, who sang great and good luck to Max, on his run, hope the rain stays away,,,,

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks for the link Mark :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Yes, thanks Mark :)

bigdipper

Post by bigdipper » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Hello Everybody ,
Id like to say Sorry to the forum members for not getting around to say hello to you all. I came on he evening to EMI book and cd launch but with it being so full it was hard for me to move and turn around without knocking into people and i didn,t want you to think i was being rude .
The evening at EMI i echo what everybody else as said and it was very enjoyable and nice to see so many people there an evening ill remember for ever it was magic and a big thank you to Michele for the invite best wishes to everyone.
PADDY
:D

john

Post by john » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Paddy, I never realised that you were there, it has just clicked with me that I remember you, I think you were just in front of us as well. I am so pleased you had such a great evening, it was wonderful, just wish now we had all got the chance to talk to you.

Marian

Post by Marian » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:37 pm

I agree with John Paddy, we had no idea you were there. We really wish we had had the chance to say hello. Pleased you enjoyed the evening, as I'm sure everyone did! :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:36 am

We both want to say sorry too for not realising that it was you who was there and so close to us Paddy, we would have loved you to have been introduced and we could have had a chat, but pleased to know that you enjoyed the evening as much as we all did.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 am

Paddy---I do not remember seeing your name on the list, or I would have looked out for you.----you should have said "Hello" to us-we would all have loved to have a chat with you.

I shall double check my photos to see if you are in the background somewhere !
Mariana

Return to “Fans Reunited - Wednesday 14 September 2011”