The Aftermath

The event of 2011. Are you coming? Come and share your thoughts.
Michele Monro

The Aftermath

Post by Michele Monro » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Where is everyone today? - I thought there would be lots of reports on Fans Reunited and The Launch especially as so many others are keen to hear the feedback. I do hope everyone had a wonderful time and safe trip back to our American friends.
Please don't forget to email me ALL your photographs as Richard and I would like to effect another slideshow as the one for last year's event was so successful. The email to sent them to is michele@mattmonro.com

I'm looking forward to reading all your comments and I'm so pleased you could be there to share in my special day.

karl

Re: The Aftermath

Post by karl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:58 pm

That's what I've been wondering Michele, perhaps they are all still on cloud nine!!!!

Even Lena & Harry are quiet.

Anyway I am looking forward to hearing all the tales!

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Well, I have been home since lunch time--but I want to wait till I can get my thoughts in some kind of order before I put pen to paper--as it were !!! I know some of us are still travelling home.

Plus my camera "died" last night-even though I charged it before I left-I guess that means I took loads of pics. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will just say quickly that we all had a really great time--the book launch was just amazing--I loved it--my first time at anything like thgis---and I loved the "fans reunited" so many lovely people, some fabulous clips and music from Matt--it will be difficult to know where to start.

And this is the first of many, I am sure, big THANK YOU's to Michele.
Mariana

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:23 pm

We have only just arrived home and have to say that we had the most MAGNIFICENT time.
Thankyou Michele and Richard and anyone and everyone who was involved with it all.
Like Marian 'I will return' :D :D

karl

Post by karl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Did any of the star guests sing? I know a few dropped out but was Tony Christie there?

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:34 pm

I did not see Tony Christie-and I am pretty sure he was not there. Matt Jnr sang a few songs for us, then Gerard Kenny did a medley of Matt's hits.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Well. after what has been a brilliant couple of days, today, we Three.. John, Harry and myself are all feeling Cream Crackered, :D :D but at the same time, so happy that we were able to be there on this fantastic occasion. We can only say what a great event it was.

The Fans Reunited in the afternoon was a time to remember once again that here we were listening and watching clips all completely new to us of Britain's Number One ever singer Matt Monro, some of whose songs and CDs and restoration was meticulously explained by Richard and the afternoons agenda unfalteringly chaired by Michele, who was giving out goodie bags to each and everyone as they arrived, conducting a quiz,( yes, our table won, or to be exact John won it for us once again ) :D :D, organising the auction, picking tickets out for the lucky raffle ticket winners, ( we won Matt Jnrs golf club) :) phew !!!! The food was then on the table and served willingly by the staff and many enjoyed the Thai food, and I did sample a small amount, although not my favourite I must admit :)

The evening was a magical time with speeches, and compliments to all concerned regarding the book launch, songs by Matt Jnr, doing his stuff and delighting all the ladies in the way that he knows how. :wink: :) but just to be with our forum friends again was wonderful, and the guests who were there were so friendly, obliging and happy to have pictures taken with us or by us by all who just about exhausted our cameras by the time the night was over.
The beautiful Virginia McKenna, and the gorgeous Anita Harris lit up the room, and the handsome Buddy Greco one of the last Italian crooners delighting us with his presence, and talking to the delightful June Marlow (who of course sang with Matt,) and her lovely daughter Kate made the evening so complete for us.
A truly magnificent occasion. Thanks Michele and Richard to EMI and all concerned. !!!

singing taxi driver

Post by singing taxi driver » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Good evening everyone. I returned to Cork, Ireland quite early this morning following cancelled trains to Stanstead etc, however I was still on such a high following the launch and reception last evening. For someone who grew up with the music of Matt Monro, this was truly an honour to be in the presence of living legends last night, and I refer to Michele, Matt Jnr and Maxwell. You guys are his family, the ones he loved more than anyone and you are a credit to both your Dad and your Mum. Everytime I perform, I always try to show the same humility that your father showed everytime for his audience, and for me, last night was an emotional journey, learning even more about "The Man with the Golden Voice". Long may his music live, and may all of you as a family be forever proud of your achievements. Darragh
Darragh McGann - The Singing Taxi Driver

mark porter

Post by mark porter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:22 pm

it was nice to see everyone again yesterday on what was a wonderful day. Micheles hard work sure paid off , the food was good, so was the company. I met up with a lot f people i hadnt seen for a long time.

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 pm

I don't really know where to start, my head is still in a spin from such a special day last Wednesday. Wonderful Harry, Lena and John met us at the station with the invaluable Matt Monro Shuttle (Harry's cab) and took us to the restaurant, and all the excitement of the day to follow started from there. :D

A wonderful afternoon with old friends and new, great and rare footage, never seen before clips of Matt's performances, as well as all the other things going on that Lena has already mentioned, made it such a memorable occasion. As with Lena's comment, the food was different, but we managed to find some that was to our taste so didn't go hungry. Michele and Richard did a splendid job with all they presented, as always. :D

We did miss seeing Sue and Mike Parker who are usually at all Matt Monro events. Apparently Sue hasn't been too well lately and didn't feel quite up to it this time. Hope you feel better soon Sue, we all missed you.

Then across the road to the imposing EMI building, pausing for a pic or two outside the entrance. Up one floor in the lift to what we were told is usually the cafeteria, the room had been transformed with pictures and posters of Matt Monro everywhere, and speakers playing his beautiful songs. :D The celebrity guests started arriving and soon the was a long stream of them everywhere you looked! It was fabulous, and to actually be inside the famous EMI building too made the whole occasion even more special.

As Lena said, the guest artistes were all so gracious and friendly, just chatting and posing for photos. Virginia McKenna spent a long while at the Born Free foundation table, and her vehicle outside also has the Born Free logo on the side. She looked beautiful and told me she was still waiting patiently for her new grandson's safe arrival. Anita Harris was stunning and didn't look a day older. Sir George Martin looking very distinguished and tall, to tiny singer songwriter Lynsey de Paul who appeared on Eurovision with her song Rockbottom in 1977 and came 3rd (authenticated by Mike Gregory!) Matt Jnr entertained for a while followed by Gerard Kenny who sang and played some of Matt's songs, followed by a rousing rendition of his own New York, New York, to round up the entertainment for the evening. :D

There was a long queue for the new paperback version of Michele's book, the CD box set of the Singer's Singer, and the special Bookazine, and Michele was kept busy signing them all for everyone. Max and justine were also there and I hope did well raising funds for MacMillan in memory of Mickie. They are doing a special run for this very soon.

It was the most memorable occasion and to have actually been there to experience it all will stay with us for a very long time. Thank you to Michele and Richard for making it all possible. :D
Marian and Peter.

Rob H

Post by Rob H » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Everyone, My flight was late leaving Gatwick last night and I returned home to Scotland deaf in one ear. I have met the most wonderful people too date!! It started with Mariana, Jeff, John, Harry and Lena on Tuesday. My time in your company felt as if I was catching up on old times...your all very special people in my heart. The events on Wednesday were just amazing!! Yet again everbody that I met were just wonderful, and I didn't want the day to end! Michele, Richard, Matt, Max and the teams at Titan and EMI. Thankyou. Can we all do it again next week? My night shift tonight will be spent recalling my new found friendships with you all!
Rob H

karl

Post by karl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:04 pm

There must be a connection between the delayed flight and your one ear :!: :?:

Rob H

Post by Rob H » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Karl, I was offered murray mints on the way down. That could of solved the problem!
Rob H

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Yes you have all said it all it was just an amazing day and all those clips of the
great man himself. We are so glad Michele let all of us see such rare footage,
great seeing it and it was lovely meeting up with you all we really enjoyed it
and it was brilliant at the launch at EMI so exciting just to be in the building
and all the showbiz guests were just lovely. A great great day altogether thanks
Michele and Richard for all your hard work to honour this great man THE BEST
SINGER IN THE WORLD - MATT MONRO

Chris and Graham

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 pm

We agree with all of the above and more :D

What a memorable few days we had in London,culminating in the Book & CD Launch on Wednesday. Firstly the Thai Terrace where we were treated to Michele and Richard showing some wonderful unseen clips of Matt performing,and some poignant home movies of the family, including Mitchell and Mickie. The amazingly talented Richard gave an excellent demonstration of how much work remastering takes. You will all now know about the candles which caused many lumps in throats,including Micheles. A grand raffle,a music quiz and yummy Thai food followed.

Then over to EMI H.Q. described so well by Marian. The celebrities were charming and despite the non appearnace of Pete Conway,Tony Christie and Paul Gambaccini there were plenty more to admire. We had Buddy Greco,Esther Rantzen,Sir George Martin,Mike Winters,Virginia McKenna,Dennis Lotis,June Marlow,Anita Harris,Gerard Kenny,Kenny Lynch and Lyndsey De Paul.And of course Matt Jnr.(Sorry if I missed anyone).

Their was also a large contingent of radio presenters including Eric Hall from Radio Essex, Alex Lewczuk from Siren FM and THE Dave Cash from Radio Kent. Lots of people from EMI and Titan also,which made it difficult to pick out our'gang of 40'. On reflection if we had thought about it we could have all stood up and introduced ourselves at the Thai. Anita Harris read out a poem from Pete Murray and Michele a letter from Brucie Baby Forsyth.

Michele still had to do all that book signing at the end of the evening,but sign she did showing no sign of being as tired as she must have been feeling.

Thank you a milllion times to Michele, Richard, Titan and EMI for a superb time and may the CD, Book and Bookazine be bestsellers to keep Matt's music alive forever.

Sandra and John x x

Return to “Fans Reunited - Wednesday 14 September 2011”