The Candles

The event of 2011. Are you coming? Come and share your thoughts.
Michele Monro

The Candles

Post by Michele Monro » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:16 pm

A lot of people, who couldn't attend the event, have emailed asking what the candles were for, this was what was said at Fans Reunited:

IT’S BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL CONSIDERED SOME OF MATT MONRO’S STAUNCHEST FANS THAT A FEW MONTHS AGO I CASUALLY MENTIONED THAT ANYONE ATTENDING TODAY MIGHT LIKE TO BRING A CANDLE. I WASN’T PREPARED TO GIVE A REASON BUT IT WAS MORE A MATTER OF TAKING A LEAP OF FAITH - THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT HAS DONE JUST THAT.

IN JANUARY I AM TAKING A LEAVE OF ABSENCE SO TO SPEAK AND TRAVELLING ACROSS TO AUSTRALIA. I’VE NEVER BEEN BEFORE AND HAVE FAMILY THERE THAT I HAVEN’T SEEN IN MORE THAN 40 YEARS. I WILL LEAVE SYDNEY IN THE MIDDLE OF APRIL AND CRUISE ACROSS THE SEAS TO SAN FRANCISCO. FROM THERE I AM DRIVING ACROSS TO LAS VEGAS TO VISIT THE LITTLE CHURCH OF THE WEST, THE PLACE WHERE MY PARENTS RENEWED THEIR VOWS. THE CHAPEL IS STILL THERE AND IT’S A PLACE MY PARENTS WERE TRULY HAPPY.

IN THE EARLY 1980S WE MOVED TO AMERICA ON A PERMANENT BASIS AND DAD STARTED DOING THE CIRCUIT ON THE VEGAS STRIP AFTER AN ABSENCE OF SOME 14 YEARS. THE SHOWS WERE SO SUCCESSFUL THAT THE POWERS THAT BE RANG SHORTLY AFTER TO OFFER HIM A 6 MONTH RESIDENCY TOPPING THE BILL AT THE SANDS HOTEL THE FOLLOWING YEAR. THIS WAS INDEED THE ICING ON THE CAKE FOR A PERFORMER SUCH AS MY FATHER AND HE WAS ECSTATIC THAT HE HAD MANAGED TO CLAW HIS WAY BACK TO THE TOP OF THE LADDER AND CEMENT A FUTURE THAT LOOKED FABULOUS. UNFORTUNATELY HE PASSED AWAY A FEW MONTHS LATER, IT JUST WASN’T MEANT TO BE.

HIS WILL MADE NOTE THAT HE WAS TO BE CREMATED AND HIS ASHES KEPT AT HOME UNTIL SUCH TIME WHEN MY MOTHER COULD JOIN HIM. LAST MARCH, THEIR ASHES WERE INTERMINGLED AND HAVE SAT AT THE HOUSE IN HARROW SINCE MY MOTHER’S FUNERAL.

YOUR CANDLES ARE COMING WITH ME TO LAS VEGAS AND WILL BE LIT JUST BEFORE THE RELEASE OF THOSE ASHES. I FELT THE CHAPEL A FITTING PLACE TO MAKE THEIR FINAL JOURNEY FROM. YOUR GIFT TODAY GIVES YOU A CHANCE TO BE THERE AS MATT MONRO TAKES HIS FINAL BOW WITH THE PERSON HE LOVED THE MOST AT HIS SIDE, WHERE MY MOTHER STOOD THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE. I AM GLAD YOU ARE ABLE TO SHARE IN THAT MOMENT.

karl

Re: The Candles

Post by karl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Michele what a beautiful tribute, and the way you wrote this was perfect.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:59 pm

That brought me to tears at the time--and again just now. It was not something that I ever imagined would happen. Such an inspiring thought.
Mariana

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Yes I agree Marian.There were many moments yesterday afternoon where we choked back the tears and this was the main one.
A wonderful idea :)

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:00 pm

We agree too, those few words "Your candles are coming with me to Las Vegas" is still bringing a lump to my throat. We feel so blessed to be able in a small way to be a part of such a personal time.

john

Post by john » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:57 pm

We were all in agreement Michele, it is a lovely idea. We all felt tears in our eyes when you told us your plans.

MAC

Post by MAC » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Hear, hear.

karl

Post by karl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:03 pm

The more I hear, see, and read about Matt the more I wish I had the chance to see him perform and even have a chat with him.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:05 pm

We had One or Two thoughts of what the candles may have been requested for, but nothing brought tears to our eyes ( like it is right now ) :cry: more than when Michele explained and said that they are coming with me to Las Vegas.
We were there at Mickies funeral to witness the poignant moment when the Two doves were released, that was to signify the joining of Two people so much in love.
We feel honoured that we shall be part of this special family time.

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:46 pm

What a wonderful idea Michele, we wondered what the candles would be for and when
you said they were coming with you to Las Vegas we thought how lovely that
we were in some way included in it all. So lovely of you to do this and include
us all, an honour to a beautiful couple, so much in love together again where they
belong MR & MRS MATT MONRO god bless

Chris Graham

mark and marie

Post by mark and marie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:04 pm

We could never imagine that the candles would be used in such a historical, romantic and loving way. We are truly honored and blessed to have been able to participate. Our hearts and spirit will be with you on this journey Michele. THANK YOU

Return to “Fans Reunited - Wednesday 14 September 2011”