The Ultimate Matt Monro - CD

Released exclusively for Matt's 20th anniversary and television advertised the album sold over 200,000 copies in ten days going gold instantly. It also saw for the first time the release of One Voice and Volvere Alguna Vez
Administrator
Site Admin

The Ultimate Matt Monro - CD

Post by Administrator » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:05 am

Last year this CD went gold in 10 days selling nearly 200,000 albums.

Did you like the cover?
Which is your favourite track?
Did you enjoy the Spanish offerings?
Would you purchase "Utimate 11"

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:13 pm

The cover is fine, but I do prefer more colour.

I'll answer for the songs I had never heard before: Can't Stop Loving You is my favourite track. It's wonderful and I play it all the time. A great sing-along song!

Yes, I like the Spanish offerings.

Definitely, I will purchase The Ultimate II.

Now a question for you!

What have been the sales to date? I believe Matt Jnr said 400,000 on Eric Hall's programme. Is that correct? That's excellent. It's been in my personal monthly album chart for over a year now, hitting number 1 last spring!

Administrator
Site Admin

Sales Figures

Post by Administrator » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:01 am

At the last count it had sold just over 200,000.
Interesting enough since the documentary aired on 12th July, it has re-entered the charts at 123 selling nearly a thousand copies in 3 days.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:09 pm

Hello all. My, how time goes by, coming to the end of July already. :shock: :shock: Is that one of your lack of "brain cell" moment's Michele, that you have mentioned before. :lol: :lol:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Administrator
Site Admin

Reviews

Post by Administrator » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:17 am

Yes Robert, a definate lack of brain cell movement at the time of writing - I of course meant 12th June

Terence Lee

My opinion

Post by Terence Lee » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:36 am

Sorry to differ in opinion Paul but I think the black & white cover is very classy especially with Matt's name in grey. The track I most looked forward to was ONE VOICE but its quality was below expectations. The tracks I play are Hey, I Am, One Voice, Southern Star, It's A Wonderful World and I'll Only Miss Her When I think Of Her. I usually skip the hits which I think sound better on the box set. Is it my imagination? I wish the hits can be grouped together so that it is easier to listen to new material without using the remote so often. Is that a feasible suggestion Michele? Though I am fond of this cd and I am happy it has enjoyed chart success, personally I prefer The Collection as I really love Diana, Mama Picked A Picnic Tea, Yesterday When I Was Young, How Do You Do and First Of May, 5 songs making their cd debut.

The Spanish songs are okay though I don't particularly enjoy them.

I would of course purchase Ultimate 2.
That's what fans are for!

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:12 pm

Yes, we like the cover on the Ultimate Matt Monro, and the dark suit worn by Matt makes a nice contrast to the light background. Our choice of songs are One Voice for the obvious reason, Southern Star is superb, It's A Wonderful World. "And We Were Lovers "and "All My Loving" are among our top favourites, and No Puedo Quitar Mis Ojos De Ti makes this CD a good varied selection.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:21 pm

Hello Lena and Harry, Terence and everyone. I too like you CD cover, I love the photo of Matt on the cover, it stand's out very well, and a younger Matt look's rather handsome.
The quality of "One Voice" is not up to the usual standard, but it was a live recording, so I think we have to expect the quality to be a little sub-standard, but at least we have Matt singing the song on CD. :) :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Gray

Post by Gray » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi all

I like the design of the CD cover, it almost seems as though it is printed with platinum and the type face is very authorative.
My favourite tracks are "I'll Only Think Of Her.." & "What To Do?", the most emotive for me.
I like all the tracks, and that includes the Spanish ones.
Yes I would definately buy Ultimate II.

Gray

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:29 pm

Hi--I love this cd--everything about it, inside and out. Again my favourite track is "What to do"--and of course I would buy "Ultimate 2"

Marian
Mariana

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:43 pm

I have looked more closely at the cover and the photos in the CD booklet. I now like the black and white photos and the grey lettering for "MATT MONRO" on the cover. However, I don't care for the grey lettering used for the songwriters, publishers, and copyright information. Sometimes I need to look at this information while stopped at a traffic light. It is very hard to read. The liner notes in the grey and highly compressed font are difficult to read. Consequently, I've only read them once, while I've read the liner notes for other Matt Monro CDs many times.

I think One Voice sounds fine for a live recording. I wasn't expecting too much ... after all, it's a Barry Manilow song! I think all the other songs sound wonderful and I still enjoy listening to this CD regularly---a year after I bought it.

I do not agree with Terence that the "hits" should be grouped together. I still enjoy hearing them regularly along with learning "new" songs. If the hits appear first, the casual fan may only listen to them. Otherwise, if they are sprinkled throughout, it allows them the opportunity to discover new songs when they play the CD for a dinner party, while reading, etc.

I'm curious why the songwriter appears as "unknown" for "Hey". I don't know the composer or lyricist, but this song was familiar to me. So someone should know who wrote it. On the 4 CD box set "unknown" appears for A Lot Of Livin' To Do. This was shocking to me, as this is one of the most famous songs (along with Put On A Happy Face and Kids) from my favourite musical, Bye Bye Birdie, by Charles Strouse and Lee Adams. Perhaps for future releases, the members of this message board can be consulted for songwriter details if they are "unknown".

Return to “Ultimate Matt Monro”