The CD

A W H Smith Exclusive - This bookazine includes a 64-page illustrated magazine, a 20-track CD including tracks previously unreleased and a 7" vinyl of Matt's very first hit 'Portrait of My Love'.
paul jh

The CD

Post by paul jh » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:28 pm

This is a very nice collection of the hits, classic ballads, and rare gems. And the CD feels so good with the shiny paper. I wish slim-packs were the industry standard rather than jewel boxes. I like everything but that S'Wonderful/Kick Out of You medley. It's so nice that the WH Smith market gets to hear his beautiful version of The Shadow of Your Smile.

I thought I wouldn't like The Last Farewell, as I love the Roger Whitaker version and have very vivid memories of listening to it on Canadian radio station CKLW in my bed on cold rainy nights. So I always dig it out and play it on stormy days.

But listening to Matt Monro is the first time I understood the lyrics. At one point I thought the lyrics were about lager (in beer). But it's really about a foreign flag a-razing. I also never understood the guns on fire part.

But the MM version has the sound of fake drums or a synthesizer (like on the two Christmas songs and With These Hands). It worked well on these three songs, but doesn't sound good on The Last Farewell.

I'm also enjoying Nice and Easy and May Each Day. I may have heard those before, but I don't think so. Hits collections often omit If I Never Sing Another Song and We're Gonna Change the World, but it's nice to have it here. It's kind of neat that This Is The Life has a new life and will likely be included on all future hit collections (where it never was in the past). Now an advertiser needs to use another fabulous rarely heard song (like Here's To My Lady) and it will get a new life as well.

It's also good to have another clean version of The Impossible Dream. I love how he changed the melody for the first note. But the strings start bothering me at around 1:40. I find it almost impossible to just listen to his vocals as they are so loud and distracting. I wish Richard could lower the volume or remove them completely, but I know that's not possible.

Rmoore

Re: The CD

Post by Rmoore » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:33 pm

It is possible - but only with the multi tracks.

It's one of theose tracks i'd love to remix. Now that EMI have been bought by Universal I don't know if i will now ever get that chance.

By the way May Each Day is also on the singles

The S'wonderful Medley and Nice and Easy originally appeared on Heart Of The Man - The new remasters are much clearer though!

Richard

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:26 pm

I was confused as to whether I had heard them as I noticed that Michele owned the copyright of several tracks. Perhaps these are the ones over 50 years old that went into the public domain.

I hope Universal keeps EMI as a separate division. The EMI name has such a wonderful ring to it.

Yes, you must remix The Impossible Dream. I'm sure I could think of many others where I'd want certain parts decreased (usually strings) and vocals and perhaps bass and percussion increased.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Maybe one day Paul.

Should the proposed "New York" sessions be green lit we plan to issue all of the songs recorded in both undubbed (Matt & a quartet) and remixed version with overdubs. But currently we don't know if this will happen.

What will happen with EMI is unknown. There are reports in the press that the merger might not happen for legal reasons too - so it's all far to early to say what will happen yet.

By the way only 2 tracks (Nice & Easy & S'wonderful) belong to the Monro estate. The others are incorrectly labeled and actually belong to EMI.

Richard

Seb Lassandro

Post by Seb Lassandro » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 am

I was so pleased to get this -if only for 'The Last Farewell' in excellent sound quality!

Great release though! -as always! :)

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:58 pm

After listening to this CD the other day again in the car and the track 'If I Never Sing Another Song'
it brought back memories of hearing Matt sing this song and the last time we saw him 'live'.

The date was February 24th 1978 and the venue The Palace Theatre in Newark,Nottinghamshire.

A small advert in our local paper alerted us nearly too late that Matt was appearing in the next town to us.
The theatre was packed,we had only back row seats and so ended up standing leaning against the wall to get a better view.
We remember Matt announcing that he was going to finish by singing his latest single,as above.
We were mesmerised by such an utterly beautiful song,and clapped and cheered until it hurt.
So,the show was over,the lights came on and the stage was empty.
With all our being we wanted to have the nerve to ask if we could meet him again.
We headed down not once but twice to the stage to ask the guys clearing up if they thought he would meet us.
But no,our courage failed us and we miserably headed towards the entrance.
It was there that we noticed that the poster for the show was still on display and did manage to ask if we could have it.

Every time we hear that song we once again regret our lack of courage on that particular night :(

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 pm

What a poignant but special time in your lives Sandra. :)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 pm

It is always so good to hear of a memory concerning Matt in person.
Mariana

john

Post by john » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:02 pm

A lovely memory Sandra and John. :)

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:32 pm

That was really good to read about your seeing Matt live. Although you didn't get to talk to Matt you were able to take a lovely memory away with you.

We also treasure all the memories we have of seeing Matt live. His performances never faltered and always left us wanting more.

:D :D

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Thankyou Marian,John,Marian and Maureen and Harry as you say a fantastic memory.

Maureen and Harry- bet you saw Matt loads living in a vibrant area and not the 'back of beyond'
where concerts are concerned :roll: :roll:

Return to “The Man Behind The Voice”