Portrait of My Love B-side

A W H Smith Exclusive - This bookazine includes a 64-page illustrated magazine, a 20-track CD including tracks previously unreleased and a 7" vinyl of Matt's very first hit 'Portrait of My Love'.
paul jh

Re: Portrait of My Love B-side

Post by paul jh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Getting back to the original subject of this thread: the 45 single's B-side (perhaps new threads can be created to discuss other aspects of this release, as I believe that's the idea of establishing these subforums):

Well, I checked out the B-side and saw that it was the original B-side of You're The Top of My Hit Parade (I think that's the title). I was hoping for This Time, which I think was released shortly after Portrait of My Love. But it makes more sense to have Hit Parade. I just wanted to hear This Time on my record player as I love it very much.

john

Post by john » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Yes Paul, This Time is the B side of My Kind Of Girl. :D
Glad you got back safely Paul, have you remembered the title of that song yet? We have had 3 sleepless nights thinking which it could be. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

karl

Post by karl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Sandra is that The Last Farewell as record by Roger Whittaker? If so I liked that song.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh, I thought This Time might have been an A side as it's on The Very Best of Matt Monro, which Michele told us has sold well over a million copies!

So many of his B sides were of such high quality to be hit singles.

Sorry about the sleepless nights, John. I played the pre-Portrait songs when I drove home from the airport and you had guessed it right at Mr Fish: Prisoner of Love. I guess I had confused myself! I think Prisoner of Love is one of the best pre-Portrait songs. I hear the signature Matt Monro style on that recording.

john

Post by john » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Sandra, "Only Once" is from the Long and Winding Road album, very nice album. :D
Karl, The Last Farewell is Roger's song, and Matt sings it superbly....sorry for butting in there Sandra. :lol:

john

Post by john » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:13 pm

I was just joking about the sleepless nights Paul. :D :D Remember Pall Mall? Or Pal Mal! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:07 pm

The point was that it was supposed to be a replica of the first single so we needed to use the original B side.

Sandra, We can only assume that the orchestra on S'wonderful is Johnnie Spence. It's a BBC recording and often worked with Matt on radio as well as record but we have no other information.

Richard

karl

Post by karl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Is the replica 45 on the old red Parlophone label with the striped sleeve? I hope it is as I never had any of them, by the time I got around to buying Beatles record inthe 60's Parlophone had changed all their labels to a drab black, so gone were the Green Columbia, the Blue HMV, and the Red Parlophone!

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 pm

It's definitely a red label. I think you'll like it Karl. I don't recall the stripes. I look at it tonight as I continue to unpack.

One of my favourite labels was the orange and yellow label that is used on disc 2 of the Complete Singles Collection.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:39 am

No Karl, unfortunately budgets would not allow us to reproduce the sleeve too so it's just plain white. However it is a thicker card rather than the flimsy paper used in the 60's so less likely to rip.

Richard

shicorp

Post by shicorp » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Will this be available online as well?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Stefan

karl

Post by karl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Richard I just ordered a batch of Reproduction sleeves from Covers 33 a few days ago, had I known that I would have added a Parlophone sleeve, they are only 43P each, I've ordered from them in the past and they are great.

Return to “The Man Behind The Voice”