Beautiful Packaging

A W H Smith Exclusive - This bookazine includes a 64-page illustrated magazine, a 20-track CD including tracks previously unreleased and a 7" vinyl of Matt's very first hit 'Portrait of My Love'.
bigdipper

Re: Beautiful Packaging

Post by bigdipper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:08 am

I CAN PAUL THE BIGGEST IN BECKTON HAD 10 ,STRATFORD HAD 6 LEFT ON THE SHELF AND CANARY WHARF HAD 8 LEFT AND I TOOK 2 AND ANOTHER PERSON I GOT TALKING TO ALSO TOOK 2, BUT PEOPLE WERE LOOKING AT THEM IN ALL THE SHOPS ...BEST WISHES PADDY

Marian

Post by Marian » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:34 am

Let's hope everyone buys them for Christmas gifts! :D

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:26 pm

When I was in my local WH Smith's last week, they really did not seem to know much about it-although it was in their shelves-but not where I expected it to be.

While I was paying, the assistant mentioned that somebody had been looking for a book written by his daughter [ie Michele], but again she obviously knew very little about it, because I told her that the book was issued about 2 years ago, and the Paperback edition had just come out about 2 months ago, and I had in fact been at the book launch in London---she looked suitably impressed--but knew nothing about the paperback-or the Hardback--and this was in the "book store" WH Smiths--as it is divided into 2 shops--the other selling stationery etc. I fear that Kent is lagging behind --but at least one store now knows all about the book, and what it is called etc etc--and the repackaged cd.
Mariana

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:31 am

I wouldn't have thought Michele could have done any more in promoting her book, but there are still obviously big gaps in advertising to the retail chains countywide. Good that WH Smith's are finally getting their act together! :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 am

Let's hope WH SMITHS are getting their act together. On several occasions, and one quite recently, we had enquired at Three of WH SMITHS stores of a well known magazine with an added CD, and the staff, including the sales managers just had a blank look on their faces and didn't have a clue as to who or what we were talking about. :roll: :roll:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 am

I agree with Marian that Michele has been tireless in her promoting, and it makes you wonder when people actually working in bookshops etc do not have a clue.
Mariana

Frederick

Post by Frederick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:20 am

I got tired of waiting for W.H.Smith so I bought mine on ebay. It cost about £2 extra with the postage but it's worth it just for convenience. I'm expecting it today so I'm like a kid at Christmas !!
The voice of Matt Monro is part of my life. I take his music with me wherever I go.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks Paddy for your detailed report and encouraging others to buy the Bookazine. This could be one of Matt Monro's biggest sellers since there are so many WH Smith stores. I plan to buy a few more on my next trip to the UK.

That is neat that you impressed the cashier about attending the book launch, Marian.

I need to stand up for WH Smith. I don't consider it a proper bookstore like Waterstone's. So their staff can't be expected to be knowledgeable about every book written. And their staff probably don't make a big salary. I see it as a convenience store that sells cards, sandwiches, drinks, books, magazines, pens, and every UK newspaper. And they often have great offers on free water, etc. I wish we had a store like that in the US. Our convenience stores basically sell milk, coffee, beer, stale bread and doughnuts, and inedible hot dogs and pizza -- and all of it is overpriced!

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm

I finally have a copy! Needless to say I love it but haven't had the time to read it or listen to the CD, I've flicked through the magazine and it's a joy to look at so can't wait to delve into it properly.

Owning the 45 is really cool, and of course getting new Monro tracks that I don't own is always a thrill!

Dorili

Post by Dorili » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:34 pm

I have only found out recently about the Bookazine, :oops: and I have been reading your comments and I have every intention to buy it, can you imagine my frustration, of when I went on line and it states at W.H. Smith that they don't know about it, :? so I have now got to find a way to get to our nearest town to get to a W,H, Smith's, that's what you get for living out in rural areas, I'll get there though. :)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Paul, our local WH Smith is in 2 separate stores---pens, stationery, cds etc etc---plus the separate Bookstore with magazines and books.

But I still love WH Smiths.

However, I went in today,to find all copies are sold out-apparently they had 6 delivered, I bought one last week, and the other 5 have gone this week--which is good--however they do not know when they will be getting them in again.
Mariana

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:34 am

For those unable to wait or get to a W.H. Smith store it is available on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matt-Monro-Ma ... 3cbdfc90e3

:)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:34 am

Actually that is not a bad price-only £1.00 more than I paid-and reasonable PP--if I had not got mine last week, I may well have gone for one.
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:07 am

Includes the song "To Russia with Love" :!:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Dorili

Post by Dorili » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks for the tip Mariana, I have done just that yesterday, and I am
informed that it was actually posted yesterday, so any moment now it will be in my letter box.
Yippee, one very happy person, or will be.
thanks again.
Lilian

Return to “The Man Behind The Voice”