Matt Sings, Nelson Swings

Originally released as 'A Touch of Class' exclusively for the fan clubs of Matt Monro and Nelson Riddle its popularity prompted the Matt Monro Estate to buy the rights and re-master and re-market it. This is the soundtrack from the legendary concert recorded on 14 July 1967 featuring Matt with an all-star orchestra conducted by Nelson Riddle.
Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 am

I now use new techniques for cleaning up vinyl and shellac a combination of using a different turntable and some new software, (which uses unique algorithms to remove clicks, pops & crackle), which I greatly prefer.

So the items from tape would not change, those from disc would.

The declicking program I now use is so good that I have recently transferred Matt's "Top Pop Club" Recordings from vinyl (Try as I might I can find no trace of any master tapes - likewise for Strange Lady in Town - they may well have been destroyed) And although I have used several different processes as well to create the final master they now sound 99% like the master tapes, despite Michele's copy being less than perfect.

Going back to the Master tapes it's very hard to find out what happened to these. The British Library NSA have no details on either label involved and Company House has details on only one of the companies which folded in 1969 - what happened to the tapes in the intervening 40 years is anybody's guess probably became landfill! (As you can tell I know a fair amount about these recordings now but i'm not giving anything away until the session listing is published!)

By the way if any of you good people out there happen to know which shop sold the "Top Pop Club" LP's (It could have been Woollies but I can't be sure) do let me know.

Richard

GregT

Re: Matt Sings, Nelson Swings

Post by GregT » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:16 am

Hi Monrovians..
Have just today received my copy of "Matt Sings..." ( I know..you 'll have to make allowances for me..I'm a little slow..)
After reading the liner notes I've got to say..as Robert so eloquently put it..this is Masterclass.
As usual The 'Audio Wizard', Richard has made the proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear...Brilliant Stuff.!
I wont even try to better Roberts appraisal..it's spot on ,as usual.
Stand-out tracks for me are "Come Back To Me", "What To Do?", and "When You Become a Man".
"Rare Monro" still to arrive ex the UK...looks like being a Very Merry Christmas..
Greg
"We should have met, Some years ago"

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 pm

This record is sensational! Matt ANNNND Nelson Riddle, surely to good to be true?!?! And yet here it is! A landmark release, being a huge fan of Riddle's collabrations with Frank Sinatra I jumped at the chance to get this, needless to say I wasn't dissapointed! The cover alone is worth the price, a fantastic design great job to all involved. The sound quality is outstanding when considering the source from where this material came from!

The tracks themselves are all very, very special, Matt is in a fine voice and great humour it's also great to hear Nelson allowed solo numbers to show off his fine ability as a gifted arranger. But the finale is just mindblowing!! Strike Up The Band has got to rank as one of the career highlights for either artist. The rest of Matt's performances are of course flawless and I mean flawless why the concert/TV special wasn't issued on LP back in the '60's is beyond me it definatley would have been a bestseller. Great swingers + great ballads + great instrumentals= One amazing disc that definatley deserves a place in anyone's collection.

jon

Post by jon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Could forumites please reassure me that this is worth buying - I know some of you have enthused about it on here but I've read some very negative reviews elsewhere, such as on Amazon.

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Jon, I think most people's issues with this disc is of the sound quality not of the music itself. IMO considering the source of where this material has come from it's the best it can be, sure it doesn't have the clarity of a studio recording but it still sounds pretty darn good if you ask me! Not only is the music on offer here outstanding but the performance itself is historic Matt and Nelson from what I know never worked together again so this album is too much of an oppertunity to miss! Plus the cover is worth the price alone, it is oh so cool :D

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 am

I never bought this either, but now feel I should after reading Jason's reviews. Sometimes I love Nelson Riddle arrangements, but other times not. His best is S'Wonderful for Ella Fitzgerald. Is the Strike Up The Band the same recording as on The Rare Monro? I need to re-listen as I rarely make it that far on The Rare Monro (too many tracks to repeat earlier on disc 2 :) ). You're right, Jason, the cover is über-cool.

Josh

Post by Josh » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:35 am

Paul, the recording of Strike Up The Band is the same as that on The Rare Monro however the sound quality on the Monro+Riddle disc is vastly superior.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:28 am

Yes the version on Rare is the master issued by the Nelson Riddle society, I totally remastered the whole concert for the Matt Sings... album (Not that paul will notice!!!!! :D )

Richard

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:05 am

Paul (Jeff).......I think you were getting your Jasons and Joshs mixed up :wink:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Return to “Matt Sings Nelson Swings”