Matt Sings, Nelson Swings

Originally released as 'A Touch of Class' exclusively for the fan clubs of Matt Monro and Nelson Riddle its popularity prompted the Matt Monro Estate to buy the rights and re-master and re-market it. This is the soundtrack from the legendary concert recorded on 14 July 1967 featuring Matt with an all-star orchestra conducted by Nelson Riddle.
Michele Monro

Matt Sings, Nelson Swings

Post by Michele Monro » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:45 am

Due out on the 10th December and given exclusively to Nostalgia Direct, let us know what you think of the album tracks, artwork and notes. Richard has done a wonderful job in remastering this disc which was previously available through the Nelson Riddle Society to its members.

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:33 pm

I have my copy on order, and yesterday received a note from Nostalgia Direct to say release had been delayed until 7th December!! :?
It also looks to have a different cover in their catalogue and is entitled "Matt Sings while the Band Swings". :?
Marian.

Administrator
Site Admin

Nelson Riddle

Post by Administrator » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:45 pm

The album is officially released on the 10th December but was available for pre=orders from the first of the month. Nostalgia Direct printed their brochure after receiving a mock up copy from Odeon Entertainment. EMI and I decided to change certain aspects of the album but it as specified on "CD of the Month"

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:06 pm

That's good.
Marian :wink:

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:27 pm

"Matt Sings, Nelson Swings" arrived today, and I'm listening to it as I write.
It is so great to have this even greater production of the earlier "Touch of Class" with Matt and Nelson Riddle.
The sound quality is wonderful, and the clarity for a 40 year old live performance, just amazing. I believe our thanks must be due here to Richard.
Robert gave us such an accurate and detailed review of the earlier CD, I wouldn't dream of trying to better it, as all he said applies to this new recording too, and more.
The sleeve notes by Michele, cover and sleeve photos, and over all presentation of the CD come as an added bonus to yet another great and rare Matt Monro contribution to treasure.
Not forgetting for a moment the beautiful musical arrangements of Nelson Riddle, and oh, I nearly forgot, "a hand for the band"!
Marian :lol:

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm

Is the track listing the same as "A touch of class" ?
Mariana

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:47 pm

Yes Marian, the track listing is the same.
Marian.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks Marian for the mention. Yes i did re-master this

Yes this is the same concert and track listing but with improved sound quality and better art work, notes etc.

Richard

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:04 pm

I think I read on "In The Pipeline" that this CD is being released to the shops on the 7th of April. I can't find it listed on HMV's website. Is it still coming out on Monday?

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:43 am

It does say available for general release on 7th April. Also available on the 7th is Yesterday (Live in The Philippines) on the Night Owl Music label, but I cannot find either on HMV's website :wink: :? shame.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

john

Post by john » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:39 pm

No, I couldn't find it on HMV website either Robert, or Amazon.

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:59 pm

Earlier today I received a very nice comment about my re-mastering of the Nelson Riddle album - and not being one to normally blow my own trumpet (even if i owned one) - I decided that I would add it to my website and post it here too.

"I finally was able to order "Matt Sings Nelson Swings" from that company's Web site (for a while they wouldn't take U.S. orders), and I am AMAZED by the incredible sound quality! I just keep playing it over and over. It is such an improvement over the first pressing...I've never had my enjoyment of a piece of music increase as much simply from a technical improvement. I keep playing “Strike Up The Band” over and over and over at full blast in my car."

Richard
www.mint-audio-restoration.co.uk

Gray

Post by Gray » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:52 am

Hi Richard

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy the before and after restoration examples on your web-site.
How I wish my Grandad were still alive so he could of heard the Richard Tauber clip!

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Yes, it's about time I updated the site, i've been somewhat busy of late!

Not only that but the techniques of restoration I use on some of those clips is not always what i'd do now (new technology!)

Hmm. I will think on.

Thanks for the comments - always nice to get feedback!

Richard

Gray

Post by Gray » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 am

Quick question please, you've said above that your restoration techniques have changed - does that mean if you were to re-look at the examples posted on your website we would have slightly different sounds now?

Or would we end up with the same sound, but you would use a different method to get there?

Thank you!

Return to “Matt Sings Nelson Swings”