A Touch of Class - CD

Originally released as 'A Touch of Class' exclusively for the fan clubs of Matt Monro and Nelson Riddle its popularity prompted the Matt Monro Estate to buy the rights and re-master and re-market it. This is the soundtrack from the legendary concert recorded on 14 July 1967 featuring Matt with an all-star orchestra conducted by Nelson Riddle.
ROBERT M.

A Touch of Class - CD

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:45 am

Can I start off by saying that the sound quality on the CD is absolutely brilliant, especially with it being a "live" recording. Alan Bunting who Re-Mastered and Re-Engineered the sound deserves a big mention, as the sound quality is magnificently spot on.

On the CD there are two new Matt Monro tracks "When You Become a Man" written by musical arranger Vic Lewis and Matts former friend, manager and lyricist Don Black. Also "Strike Up the Band" a rousing George and Ira Gershwin number. This number has a superb musical arrangement by Nelson Riddle, the song was especially arranged by Mr Riddle for our Matt.

There are two other great musical arrangements on the CD by Mr Riddle. Irving Berlin's "Let's Face The Music and Dance" is glorious, while the John F. Kennedy March is also a tremendous piece of orchestral work.

Matts velvety voice sound's supreme on this BBC recording. "Born Free" sound's as though it has come straight off an actual "studio recorded" CD, Matts voice is THAT magnificent. The same can also be said for his 1962 hit "Softly As I Leave You" which sound's awe inspiring. But when Matt performs "Walk Away" in front of the TV audience, he seems to miss the beginning to a couple of lines of the song, and has to catch Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra up a little bit, during that particular song. But that is a trivial observation, as thing's like that often happen at "live" recordings or appearances.

Matts voice sound's wonderful when he is speaking to Nelson Riddle during the CD. They have a bit of banter together, talking about former American President John F. Kennedy. They also remark on the former President's relatives originating from County Wexford in Ireland. They have a good laugh together, with Matt saying he knew County Wexford very well indeed. I don't know if Matt was joking about that or not. Matt sound's extremely polite and charming when he is talking to Nelson Riddle and to the audience on the CD. In fact he sound's just as magnificent talking, as he does when he is singing those marvellous song's for us to listen to and enjoy.

The CD is an excellent and beautiful 43 minutes and 8 seconds of Matt Monro and Nelson Riddle. Just pure "heaven" to listen to. All I can say is bring on the "Rare Monro" as soon as possible please, because if this CD is anything to go by, then the "Rare Monro" will be just as glorious.

So to end this review of "A Touch of Class" with the word's sung by Britain's greatest ever vocalist MATT MONRO, and the music by America's greatest ever musical arranger NELSON RIDDLE. Recorded in the summer of 1967 which was a very good year for Matt. (He was in a sparkling period of his recording career while at Capitol Records). The recording took place at the BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, London in the July of that year.

The "live" recording is a true and accurate description of what is printed on the CD cover "A TOUCH OF CLASS", which is definitely a truthful understatement. I would go much further than that. When the genius of MATT MONRO met the genius of NELSON RIDDLE for the only time in their professional careers, only one word could describe their chemistry of working together. Which was one of a pure and magnificent......................."MASTERCLASS".

My tears will fall now that your gone
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Administrator
Site Admin

A Touch of Class

Post by Administrator » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:49 am

Michele, We are thrilled to have this now digitally remastered CD.
The title A "Touch Of Class" fits it perfectly for both Matt and Nelson and shows the magnificent artistry of both singer and orchestra leader.
All numbers superb, with wonderful arrangements.
What about the Irvin Berlin's "Lets Face The Music and Dance," and
"When You Become A man " and listening to Nelsons accompaniment to this one is fantastic, (you just have to sit down for this one ) what about those final three notes from Matt. WOW !!!
We loved Matt's gentle Irish brogue I Know It Well on The John F. Kennedy March.
Strike Up the band is terrific. Now it's difficult to sit down for this one.
And you have to have it on loud.

Posted by "Guest"
1st May 2006

Return to “Matt Sings Nelson Swings”